NorthEast Serving CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV

When to go Blizzak?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 09:27 AM
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When to go Blizzak?

Those of you in the Northeast, are most of you waiting till after thanksgiving to put your snow shoes on?

I think I had them on by now last year and it was much too early.

Thanks.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:38 AM
Administrator
Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 6MTzer
Those of you in the Northeast, are most of you waiting till after thanksgiving to put your snow shoes on?

Thanks.

Definitely after Thanksgiving
Early December if you can wait

Well it's been highs of high 50's on a regular here.
If it goes to mid to low 40's on a reg I would def switch to winters.

Last edited by Glex25; 11-04-2006 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:38 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by 6MTzer

Thanks.
Seriously, if you are running summer compound tires then as soon as temps get consistently below 50 F or 10 C it is time to take them off. The summer tires are not safe below those temps. That is what I go by.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:41 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Seriously, if you are running summer compound tires then as soon as temps get consistently below 50 F or 10 C it is time to take them off. The summer tires are not safe below those temps. That is what I go by.
I've been driving my PS's around on some days now when it's been just above freezing. They are definitely a little more squirly and the VDC helped me one day on a clover leaf having a little too much fun.

I agree with you Wayne.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:11 PM
Brian
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He's 100% correct. Yes, "Winter" tires are usually thought of as "Snow" tires, but the truth of it is, they're designed for the low temperatures. Don't wait for the 1st snowfall. That's not how to gauge when it's time to put your winter rubber on. As soon as the temperatures get consistently low, throw your winter tires on. "Winter" tires will stay soft even in colder temps, whereas your summer tires will harden up and lose their traction. So don't wait until it snows. Throw the winter rubber on this month.

I *hope* to see higher temps in March so that I can take them off ASAP. Summer rubber is much superior for cornering!!!

Old 11-04-2006, 11:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm new to this whole winter wheels thing. I have Toyo T1R's right now, and I've been planning to store my car in an outdoor garage complex for the winter while I drive my Camry. Is this gonna be ok? Anything I shuld worry about? Will my summer tires be hurt being stored in low temperatures for the winter (albeit away from snow and the elements)? I really have no idea because this is the first car I've owned with non-stock wheels and tires.

thanks for any help.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:35 PM
Brian
Nope. You're fine. The Toyo T1R's are superb tires - I'm going to buy a set in the Spring for my ride. In the low temps, the compound hardens a bit - it isn't as soft. T1R's were designed to be used in the Summer, when the temperatures are in the optimal range for that tire. If they're just sitting in your unheated garage, they aren't going to be damaged. If you were to actually take them for a spin in the cold weather, you'd probably notice that they aren't as "sticky" in the turns and when you floor it. But that's the only difference.

Turn your car on and run it for a few minutes each month, to warm it up and distribute the oil, to keep everything fresh and primed, and all the gaskets from drying out. Not that they'd dry out and crack in a month's time, but you might as well do it every month - I'm sure it'll feel good to sit in the G at least once a month!

Old 11-04-2006, 11:53 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the tips!!

Old 11-05-2006, 10:02 AM
Premier Member

Thanks, I think I will be OK during the days for a few more weeks, but will have to be careful in the evenings.
I don't want to be drifting on the turnpike ramps.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll be taking my T1-R's off between 12/1 and 12/15. Then on go my new Dunlop M3's....heard rave things about them....used to have Michelin Pilot Alpin's...they were okay.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I switched to winters on the day after Thanksgiving last year, but the temperatures are lower this year. I'm thinking about this weekend or maybe next.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by RBull
I've been driving my PS's around on some days now when it's been just above freezing. They are definitely a little more squirly and the VDC helped me one day on a clover leaf having a little too much fun.

I agree with you Wayne.
I recently moved back to CT from San Diego and was thinking my torque had changed because of colder air intake but now I am thinking the colder weather is makeing the tires harder, with less traction now. Interesting. Anyone have some numbers on how much the Blizzaks run or where the best deal is. I am thinking around $800 for winter tires.

Dan

Old 11-07-2006, 10:20 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoG35
I recently moved back to CT from San Diego and was thinking my torque had changed because of colder air intake but now I am thinking the colder weather is makeing the tires harder, with less traction now. Interesting. Anyone have some numbers on how much the Blizzaks run or where the best deal is. I am thinking around $800 for winter tires.

Dan
You can check prices at Tirerack to get an idea.
http://www.tirerack.com/winter/index...=true&index=xx

Old 11-07-2006, 10:28 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by DannoG35

Dan
Tirerack:
2 225/50VR-17 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 In Stock $161.00 $322.00

2 235/50VR-17 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 In Stock $175.00 $350.00

Last edited by 6MTzer; 11-07-2006 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Yup, waiting until after turkey day at the least

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: When to go Blizzak?