NorthEast Serving CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV

Thinking of switching to Progressive in Mass. is it worth it??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of switching to Progressive in Mass. is it worth it??

Hey guys i'm new on here and havent seen much on this topic, i was thinking of switching insurance i currently have commerce but pay 2100 a year would it be worth switching and if anyone has switched already is it good any feed back would be great. thanx guys... - Rob

Old 03-12-2009, 06:15 AM
i looked at switching and it wasnt worth it for me, ive got an 04 coupe and pay about 9something through commerce, and the quote i got from progressive wasnt worth switching, the quote is free so its worth a look, and remember, theyll quote you a 6 mo price.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:32 AM
Id say get the price quote and decide what your really looking for with insurance. Progressive has low rates, but sometimes cheaper doesnt necessarily mean better ya know?

Old 03-12-2009, 08:41 AM
The biggest thing for me is how insurance companies deal with claims. I have had decent service with MetLife, so why change something that ain't broke.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by virtualbong
the biggest thing for me is how insurance companies deal with claims. I have had decent service with metlife, so why change something that ain't broke.
^+1

Old 03-12-2009, 08:57 AM
i work for progressive in rhode island, and honestly it all depends. get the free quote and see what its going to save you. and like rigger said be careful, they quote in 6 months instead of a year like you're used to. I had switched over from liberty mutual and im paying something like $96 a month (in rhode island) for full coverage.

and regarding claims service, i know if you call in a claim during normal business hours that they have to respond within 2 hrs. which ive heard is among the quickest.. I know liberty gave me the response time of within 1 business day when i had called in my only claim.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Thanx guys i am gonna try to get a quote today and i will make sure i get a 1 year quote with glass coverage...

Old 03-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Met Life sucks. I got hit by a drunk driver who totaled my 99Si. I ended up having to sue them because I had a custom setup insurance policy through them paying 215 a month whcih covered 14k in mods. Long story short, they paid after my attorney pushed the envelope.

Progressive may workout for some better than others but like said above go online and get a quote.
Originally Posted by virtualbong
The biggest thing for me is how insurance companies deal with claims. I have had decent service with MetLife, so why change something that ain't broke.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Hi-Tech_G
Met Life sucks. I got hit by a drunk driver who totaled my 99Si. I ended up having to sue them because I had a custom setup insurance policy through them paying 215 a month whcih covered 14k in mods. Long story short, they paid after my attorney pushed the envelope.

Progressive may workout for some better than others but like said above go online and get a quote.
Ooooh, I'm talking about a standard full coverage. I didn't even know you could start adding this and that to your coverage. Glad it worked out...but sucks you had to get an attorney to get your money though.

Just wondering...why didn't the drunk driver's insurance pay for everything?

Old 03-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Make sure you get quoted for the exact same coverage you have now, especially if you have anything above the basic MA liability requirements. Also, check with Commerce to make sure you're getting all of the discounts you're entitled to. Since the changes in insurance in MA last year, most companies differ in the discounts they offer. So you might qualify for some discounts that one company has, but another doesn't.

For example, on my policy with Safety I get a discount for being a long time customer, another one for having my homeowners policy with them, a 5% discount on all cars because of my daughter's advanced driver training course, and a 10% good student discount on my daughter's car. That's in addition to the usual anti-theft, passive restraint and multi-car discounts.

Good luck!

Old 03-12-2009, 02:38 PM
moe
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
look into Amica

Old 03-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts
I switched in October, went from paying 1800/yr to 585/6 mo. BUT I was told that your first policy, whether it's 6mo or 12mo, you only pay the "base" without any surcharge points, but you'll be paying for crashes / tickets in any subsequent policies. I'm due for renewal in April so I can let you know then.

I had a claim with them a month ago and had no problems.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:24 PM
There are more things to look at then "how much do I pay a month" Im a painter at a Dealership bodyshop so I know what im talking about.

Progressive spends as little as they can to get your car fixed. When State Farm comes in because we have one of there cars, we tell them what we need to fix it correctly. If it takes 4 hours to fix a dent and 3 hours for us to paint it, they say ok here is a check for 7 hours. When Progressive comes in they say "well here is 2 hours for the dent and 2 hours to paint it" Do you think your car gets fixed the same? You get what you pay for!

Old 03-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by PPGFREAK
There are more things to look at then "how much do I pay a month" Im a painter at a Dealership bodyshop so I know what im talking about.

Progressive spends as little as they can to get your car fixed. When State Farm comes in because we have one of there cars, we tell them what we need to fix it correctly. If it takes 4 hours to fix a dent and 3 hours for us to paint it, they say ok here is a check for 7 hours. When Progressive comes in they say "well here is 2 hours for the dent and 2 hours to paint it" Do you think your car gets fixed the same? You get what you pay for!
Good perspective!

Do we have State Farm in Mass?

Old 03-12-2009, 08:48 PM
^dont get me wrong I do love State Farm but just ask around about insurance companys. There are plenty of good ones. Pergressive has good things about it, but if there half price you have to question why?

Here is a nother thing to think about if you have Pergressive and you total your car how long do you have to find a new one? 3-5 days, and I hate it when we have to tell some one that after a car crash. My wifes car got totaled last year and State farm gave us two weeks to find a car, and after we found one they sent me a check in the mail to pay for the registration and inspection! I called and asked why, and they said "the car you were driving was still registered and inspected so why should you pay to have it done again?"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking of switching to Progressive in Mass. is it worth it??