NorthEast Serving CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV

New slow down / move over laws in Mass and Rhodie

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts
New slow down / move over laws in Mass and Rhodie

In case anyone doesn't know, effective last month in Mass and RI, any time you approach a service or emergency vehicle in the roadway with it's flashing lights on, you must slow down and move over a lane (or if that's not possible: slow down to a reasonable speed). Fine is $100 in Massachusetts. I think it's $85 in RI.

For the purpose of this, you've got to take these actions for:
Fire Apparatus
Police Vehicle
Ambulance
Disaster Vehicle
Highway Maintenance Vehicle
Recovery / Tow truck

True text of the bill in Massachusetts:
Upon approaching a stationary emergency vehicle, highway maintenance vehicle or recovery vehicle with flashing lights an operator shall:
(1) proceed with due caution, reduce the speed of the vehicle to that of a reasonable and safe speed for road conditions, and, if practicable and on a highway having at least 4 lanes with not less than 2 lanes proceeding in the same direction as the operator‟s vehicle, yield the right-of-way by making a lane change into a lane not adjacent to that of the emergency response vehicle, highway maintenance vehicle or recovery vehicle; or
(2) if changing lanes is impracticable, proceed with due caution and reduce the speed of the vehicle to that of a reasonable and safe speed for road conditions.
True text of the statute in Rhode Island:
§ 31-14-3 Conditions requiring reduced speed. – (a) The driver of every vehicle shall, consistent with the requirements of § 31-14-1, drive at an appropriate reduced speed when approaching and crossing an intersection or railroad grade crossing, when approaching and going around a curve, when approaching a hill crest, when traveling upon any narrow or winding roadway, when special hazard exists with respect to pedestrians or other traffic or by reason of weather or highway conditions and in the presence of emergency vehicles displaying flashing lights as provided in § 31-24-31, tow trucks, transporter trucks, and roadside assistance vehicles displaying flashing amber lights while assisting a disabled motor vehicle. Violations of this section are subject to fines enumerated in § 31-41.1-4.

(b) When an authorized vehicle as described in subsection (a) is parked or standing within twelve feet (12') of a roadway and is giving a warning signal by appropriate light, the driver of every other approaching vehicle shall, as soon as it is safe, and when not otherwise directed by an individual lawfully directing traffic, do one of the following:

(1) Move the vehicle into a lane that is not the lane nearest the parked or standing authorized emergency vehicle and continue traveling in that lane until safely clear of the authorized emergency vehicle. This paragraph applies only if the roadway has at least two (2) lanes for traffic proceeding in the direction of the approaching vehicle and if the approaching vehicle may change lanes safely and without interfering with any vehicular traffic.

(2) Slow the vehicle, maintaining a safe speed for traffic conditions, and operate the vehicle at a reduced speed until completely past the authorized emergency vehicle. This paragraph applies only if the roadway has only one lane for traffic proceeding in the direction of the approaching vehicle or if the approaching vehicle may not change lanes safely and without interfering with any vehicular traffic.

Violations of this section are subject to fines enumerated in § 31-41.1-4.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They should have taught you this in driver's education, they did to me atlease. They should enforce it more cause I've seen many cars ignore this law.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought it was a given already..to move over for emergency vehicles or other ones that need to get by...

Old 04-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was in RI on Tuesday and noticed the big 'Move over its the Law' electronic billboards. Unfortunately the woman in front of me on her cell phone apparently couldn't read.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
so what is a "reasonable and safe speed" for me on say 93 south, thats 70 mph,

maybe thay should make a law that states a cop should not pull some one over if there isn't a brake down lane, or a safe spot for them to pull over.

because on 93 south, up near Methuen, the brake down lane is a travel lane for the morning commute.

and cops wonder y their cruisers get *** packed when they park it in a travel lane with out setting up flairs or cones a few thousand feet ahead...

i kind of agree with the law, you have to show respect and becareful service/emergency cars on the side and what not.

but they should also be smart about it and respect that my car weighs over 3500lbs, and use some common brains and not put them selfs,, and me,,, and undue risk.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:20 AM
More than enough cops get creamed in the BDL by people who drift into their lane, etc.

I have NEVER seen a traffic stop occur in the active BDL, and I drove 128 during those hours for five years. They were only assisting disabled autos.

Just move over.... Or take the $100 gig...

Old 04-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by G35 Mass
More than enough cops get creamed in the BDL by people who drift into their lane, etc.

I have NEVER seen a traffic stop occur in the active BDL, and I drove 128 during those hours for five years. They were only assisting disabled autos.

Just move over.... Or take the $100 gig...
i have seen 3 in the las 6 months.
for speeding tickets,

at any rate, these tickets won't hold up in court because if the cop doesn't gun you for speed, he can't claim that u were going faster then "reasonable and safe speed" because estimated speed alone is not enough for you to get a ticket.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by snowcrossmxz
i have seen 3 in the las 6 months.
for speeding tickets,

at any rate, these tickets won't hold up in court because if the cop doesn't gun you for speed, he can't claim that u were going faster then "reasonable and safe speed" because estimated speed alone is not enough for you to get a ticket.
Let me guess, first year law student?? You're spreading absolutely incorrect information. That's detrimental to the purpose of a forum, as people come to such websites for factual information...

Slow down and move over... That guy is someone's son, father, and husband and he's going enough to worry about in the car then to have to deal with selfish ****** who can't push over 12' while he's conducting business.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by G35 Mass
Let me guess, first year law student?? You're spreading absolutely incorrect information. That's detrimental to the purpose of a forum, as people come to such websites for factual information...

Slow down and move over... That guy is someone's son, father, and husband and he's going enough to worry about in the car then to have to deal with selfish ****** who can't push over 12' while he's conducting business.
software engineer,

i have gotten this very ticket, and won, didn't even have to go to court, the magistrate let me off cuz there wasn't any evidence,, FACT.

ya ya the cop is a person too, but its his choice to be out there, he isn't forced.

what about the poor *** that the cop pulled over in the bdl, what about him?

like i said before, all im saying is maybe the cop should pull further off the road, or maybe follow the person untill there is a good spot to stop, then flick on the blues.

i mean seriously, come on, is that hard to do?

i do move over when i have a chance to, when it won't endanger my life or the persons life in the lane im moving into.

but as the law states, some times that is just impracticable. so the law goes to say "reasonable and safe speed for road conditions"

you can't get a speeding ticket for estimated speed from a cop, so you can't get a ticket here for an estimated reasonable and safe speed for road conditions. thats not some horse ****, thats a fact.

the cop will crank out a ticket any way cuz he hopes you won't go to court to fight it.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Magistrates can and do fint violators "not reaponsible" even when there's no dount that the violator infact did comit the aledged violation. Nor are they finders of fact.

And if you continue to move at the same speed as everyone else, you haven't slowed to a reasonable speed, therefore a citation is appropriate.

It'll be interesting to see how these are handled in the courts; I have a feeling they'll never be thrown out in courts, just like the $500 school bus passing tickets.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Drivers in New England are absolutely retarded.

I drive to Chicago a few times a year and once you hit Ohio, drivers appear to have brains.
You see flashing lights... EVERYONE moves over and slows down.
Also, when you see a sign that reads, "Left Lane Closed - 2 Miles Ahead", all traffic starts to yield into the right side lanes. There's no jockeying for position... everyone trying to get in front of each other. All traffic remains at speed limit and congestion doesn't occur.

Here in MA, everyone stays in the left lane, races to where the lane drop occurs, and then we all bottle neck for hours while we let the impatient a-holes into the right lane.
I despise the stupid and unfortunately, our roads are filled with them.

It's the reason why I don't have a bike anymore as well. Too many stupid people and to many close calls.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I honestly thought this was a no brainer not requiring laws..until I was crossing the street next to a road construction zone with a statie telling me to cross..and a mini van going mega fast almost nailed me, the trooper and some cones..idiots.