NorthEast Serving CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV

Richmond/Henrico/Petersburg/Colonial Hgts G group

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.88 average.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TehG35
Not gonna lie, I only have 2 more weekends left in town, so I've got some things to do. Plus I forsee myself hitting up happy hour on Friday after work

In all seriousness though, I always like hanging around and helping out.. so I'll set a reminder and play it by ear. My car is up getting front tires mounted right now. Just put on rear brakes last night after work... trying to diagnose a pretty serious shimmy in my AWD drivetrain. My engineering background is all pointing toward the center differential... because of the fresh rear tires and the mildly worn down fronts.... so hopefully it's not already too late and the new tires should take some stress off of my seriously confused drivetrain... but if the car isn't driving right I'll be trying to keep the miles off of it
I don't blame you. Good luck getting the car fixed!

I'm sure Ryan, Tony and I can do it without issue. Ryan-- Does your torque wrench go that low? The torque map is in the instructions that comes with the plenum.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I can guarantee any 1/2" drive torque wrench doesn't go that low (which is what most people have in their household). That would literally take 6-8 lbs of force on the end of the wrench lol. It'd be too easy to snap off one of the aluminum bolts with a wrench that large.

Your best bet at finding/renting one is calling the usual tools/autocare facilities ahead of time... but it helps to seek out places that specialize in motorcycles. They may not be as hard to track down these days, but I know I was running all over town 2 years ago trying to locate one.

Last edited by SedanManBen; 05-09-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:01 AM
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I can guarantee any 1/2" drive torque wrench doesn't go that low (which is what most people have in their household). That would literally take 6-8 lbs of force on the end of the wrench lol. It'd be too easy to snap off one of the aluminum bolts with a wrench that large.

Your best bet at finding/renting one is calling the usual tools/autocare facilities ahead of time... but it helps to seek out places that specialize in motorcycles. They may not be as hard to track down these days, but I know I was running all over town 2 years ago trying to locate one.
I know the one Ryan got from his work worked fine for us. Its a 3/8 drive. The problem him and I had the second time around was that mine does ft lbs only but his does inch lbs

Old 05-10-2012, 06:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G35RVA
The MSF class? Took that 3 years ago to get my license. Excellent class, worth every penny. What do you ride?

I got my license last Sunday. The class definitely worth every penny.
I have never ridden a motorcycle before, just bought a 2005 kawasaki vulcan 500. Need to learn more before i can ride one of the bigger ones.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:23 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Let me just start off this morning by saying WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO! My premonition about the Bimmer's issues was correct. Immediately after driving it out of the parking lot after new front tires it felt like a new car! Let's just hope I didn't do any permanent damage to the center diff

Originally Posted by josher123
I know the one Ryan got from his work worked fine for us. Its a 3/8 drive. The problem him and I had the second time around was that mine does ft lbs only but his does inch lbs
Nice! The 3/8" drive one is good for the entire job

Originally Posted by sameerg
I have never ridden a motorcycle before, just bought a 2005 kawasaki vulcan 500. Need to learn more before i can ride one of the bigger ones.
Congrats Sameer! I'll have to see this bad boy. Bring it by Tony's on Saturday? Bikes are a lot of fun. I'm not super experienced, but I've spent a good amount of time on a few different bikes. You'll have lots of fun, just be careful! I hope your bike and gear are bright colors... oh, and watch out for the damn $h!tty roads around here. Stay safe, buddy

Old 05-10-2012, 09:09 AM
CLUB MODERATOR

Received 189 Likes on 138 Posts
congrats! yea, bring it by the house on Saturday around noon, let me check that thing out, cant believe you haven't brought it by already! Be safe riding and watch out for all those people that don't pay attention to the road cuz life will stop if they have to put down their phones........

Old 05-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Let me just start off this morning by saying WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO! My premonition about the Bimmer's issues was correct. Immediately after driving it out of the parking lot after new front tires it felt like a new car! Let's just hope I didn't do any permanent damage to the center diff
Nice!

Nice! The 3/8" drive one is good for the entire job

The Vulcan's are nice cruser bikes. Should have fun on that. Im sure you know the basics and all the good stuff so my only 2 cents -- Ride like no one can see you. More then likely, they cant.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:47 AM
Received 318 Likes on 221 Posts
congrats Lee on the new mods, how are you liking them?

I hope Arch Industries is online this week so i can get the rear bumper ordered

Old 05-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by rhampsterwha2
congrats Lee on the new mods, how are you liking them?
Thank you! Everything is good. Car gets up faster and makes it easier to pass those huge semi's on the road at higher speeds. The tint cured correctly and there's no bubbles. Had to squeegee everything then crawl out the trunk and let it sit for 2 days. Cant believe I waited so long to get the G tinted considering all my other cars got tinted within the first week I got them.

Hows your finger?

Old 05-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Lol. To be honest I forgot all about it haha! So must be ok just kind of comical that soon as im all bandaged up you start bleeding too..... however yours was much worse I think my while hand wasn't covered in blood

Old 05-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by rhampsterwha2
Lol. To be honest I forgot all about it haha! So must be ok just kind of comical that soon as im all bandaged up you start bleeding too..... however yours was much worse I think my while hand wasn't covered in blood
Yea its got 2 chunks missing. The liquid stitches is keeping crap out of them so hope it heals up fast.

On a side note. Just ordered another "mod". Ordered the USA Spec iPhone/iPod/MP3 player connector for the G. Pretty stoked I wont have to listen to shitty *** radio anymore.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Just wanted to give a quick "review" of the copper iso thermal plenum. It does what it advertises. The car runs cooler at all times. Usually the needle was around half for temperate. Now, it consistently sits a few ticks below half and haven't seen it go above that. Driving patterns have remained the same. Car picks up faster and give it enough throttle the air box gives a brief whistle. Solid purchase in my book.

The power wire and accessories should be hopefully no later then Saturday so can get the grounding done to round out the main components for now.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Sounds good Lee!

RavSpec just told me my wheels are on their way to USA and will be here end of this month! Wow only 1 month wait.... GB specail treatment FTW!

Can't find anyone with a CS rear for sale there's like no body vendors on drver anymore Arch is non responsive and Strafe isn't even a vendor anymore which I know Dustin started a new company but I haven't even got reply from him ether..... looking lkke the rear will haave to come later

Old 05-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone wanna trade plenum spacers? I have the 1/2inch I wanna try the 5/16 spacer.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:00 PM
I have had both and differences can be noticed but its basically 1/2 is more up top and 5/16 is in the mid range

I have the 5/16th and so does everyone else in the area I think

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.88 average.

Quick Reply: Richmond/Henrico/Petersburg/Colonial Hgts G group