Unhappy Vibration at 70+mph :(

Hi folks,

Here is the my problem: G35x '05
- steering wheel shakes slightly (but visibly) at 70+ mph
- passenger seat shakes
- steering wheel feels a little loose

To knock off common problems:
- tires were replaced a few months ago and balanced last week
- bearing replaced last week (prior to that all the problems above + rattling noise)
- checked tire pressure

I saw someone mentioning drive shaft / U-joint. Does it sounds possible? Any other ideas?

The car is out of warranty (~70k miles), so I'd rather take it to a good mechanic and not the dealership. On that note, any good infiniti-capable mechanics in the eastern / central Mass.?

Thanks for all the insights and ideas!

Old 05-14-2009, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when was the last time you got an alignment?

Old 05-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts
Does it go away if you steer, even slightly like for a lane change?

Old 05-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Road Force Balancing!!!!

I had the exact same problem and I had the car checked out several times...several alignments...several wheel balances...THEN I had all 4 tires road force balanced and the car rides SOOO SMOOTH!!!

You can find who has the machine by googling Hunter GSP9700 and find out which locations has it...

Old 05-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by goodmank
Road Force Balancing!!!!

I had the exact same problem and I had the car checked out several times...several alignments...several wheel balances...THEN I had all 4 tires road force balanced and the car rides SOOO SMOOTH!!!

You can find who has the machine by googling Hunter GSP9700 and find out which locations has it...
I can vouch for road-force balancing, but that's not definitely the problem. I had similar symptoms and the problem was a left inner tie-rod.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:22 AM
when was the last time you got an alignment?
About 6 months ago. I was planning to do it anyway, but from what I've been reading misalignment would cause veering - not shaking.

Does it go away if you steer, even slightly like for a lane change?
Nope. Vibration stays more or less consistently. In terms of steering wheel shaking, a little less on smoother roads; but in all cases I can feel some vibration on the shifter, back and headrest of the passenger seat.

Road force balancing
Will try to find a shop this weekend! Thanks for the info

If it doesn't work though, what's a good place to take it to be diagnosed? Also, any good places for general suspension work? (Mass / RI)

Old 05-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by iminder

If it doesn't work though, what's a good place to take it to be diagnosed? Also, any good places for general suspension work? (Mass / RI)
Where exactly are you located? I know one shop in Ma on the RI line that has a road-force. Also Inskip Infiniti has it, but they charge WAY TOO MUCH. (Another rant for another day)

Old 05-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I worked on driveshafts for years. (engineered, built, repaired)
If you lost a small weight on your shaft or if a u-joint is spent, these would be your exact symptoms. That does not mean that this is your issue though.

Get under the car and see if there is any wiggle in the joint areas or if it can be shaken from side to side. Also twist the shaft (insert dirty joke here) and see if there is movement. There should be none... or very very very very little anyway.

If that seems okay, look at the entire shaft and see if there are any marks. Usually, on a 4 year old driveshaft, you'll be able to see where a weight once lived and recently popped off.
That should help you to eliminate that as a possible cause.
Or, have it balanced... shouldn't cost more than approx $50-

I can hook you up with someone if you need driveshaft help.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by G35 Mass
Where exactly are you located? I know one shop in Ma on the RI line that has a road-force. Also Inskip Infiniti has it, but they charge WAY TOO MUCH. (Another rant for another day)
I'm in Brookline, but work in Hopkiton. I ended up making an appointment for Monday with the Little Foreign Car Garage in Waltham. They have GSP9700 and reviews on tirerack look realy good.

Get under the car and see if there is any wiggle in the joint areas or if it can be shaken from side to side. Also twist the shaft (insert dirty joke here) and see if there is movement. There should be none... or very very very very little anyway.

If that seems okay, look at the entire shaft and see if there are any marks. Usually, on a 4 year old driveshaft, you'll be able to see where a weight once lived and recently popped off.
That should help you to eliminate that as a possible cause.
I'll definitely check it out tomorrow. Do you know anyone who can make my suspension feel a little sportier, it feels just a little too lose at this point (maybe it's in my head though)...

Old 05-16-2009, 06:21 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by iminder
Do you know anyone who can make my suspension feel a little sportier, it feels just a little too lose at this point (maybe it's in my head though)...
Eibach and Hotchkis