NorthEast Serving CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV

question about tinting small windows of coupe and laws in MA...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about tinting small windows of coupe and laws in MA...

I understand that the tint laws in MA is 35% on all the passenger windows and back glass .
I was wondering...
1) will it be considered illegal to tint the small rear passenger windows in the coupe at <35% ?
2) will it look funny/odd/unappeling if the coupe has 35% on the front passenger windows and a <35% ?
what % would you recommend if you were to tint the small windows at ?

thanks

Old 08-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts
It is illegal. I don't know how it'd look.

The law reads "...the side windows immediately adjacent to the right and left of the operator’s seat, the side windows immediately to the rear of the operator’s seat and the front passenger seat and the rear window". That little window is "the side windows immediately to the rear of the operator’s seat and the front passenger seat".

Old 08-14-2009, 06:14 PM
Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts
just got mine done, check out my garage,

also, i wanna debadge, i know it is a DIY, but i want someone who has done it before, do u guys know any car joint around boston or somebody on thos forum who can go to?thanks..

Old 08-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
/\ I've done mine. Took all of 15 minutes and that included the time to hand polish and re-wax the entire area.
I'm happy to help if you need it.
Heck, we could easily do it at any upcoming meet if you want.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts
that would be perfect! when is the next one!

Old 08-15-2009, 09:11 PM
I'd say get every window same percentile/ or you can get the 2 side windows and 2 mini windows same and the rear windshield a lower %. I have 20% all around and havn't had 1 issue with any police yet...Dunno about sticker time tho lol.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Had mine done, 35% all around, just not worth the hassle of getting darker. Pics in my profile.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by bnorris85
Had mine done, 35% all around, just not worth the hassle of getting darker. Pics in my profile.
Just an FYI: If you put 35% on, you're windows are going to be illegally dark. The safest you can go with tint to avoid the chance of dropping below the TOTAL percentage of 35 is 50%.

Factory class is at 75%.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:27 PM
/\... I believe Brian @ Tint King installed 40% on mine and when I tested my tint level with Mass's gauge, it came up to 36%.
Barely Legal

Old 08-17-2009, 01:38 AM
Originally Posted by G35 Mass
Just an FYI: If you put 35% on, you're windows are going to be illegally dark. The safest you can go with tint to avoid the chance of dropping below the TOTAL percentage of 35 is 50%.

Factory class is at 75%.
Sorry I should have specified, I had them done to be at legal limit so I'm assuming that they put whatever film they needed to make it 35% on....damn i gotta find that paperwork now.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G35 Mass

Factory class is at 75%.
Yup, I can vouch for that! I know you're well versed in this based on your profession.

I had my fronts tinted at 35% and rear windows & rear glass at 20% when I got my car & never had issues with cops or state inspections. At that time, I told the shop I want the car tinted so it is legal. 2 yrs ago I began with problems and the regular place I brought my car to for inspections said the laws changed & cops are cracking down and he wouldn't pass me, as the fronts showed up around 28% (due to the factory tint as you mentioned) and apparently, the rears can't be any darker either (which is new to me).

Long story short, I was able to find a shop in Brighton to pass me 2 yrs ago, went back to the same guy last year and now HE wouldn't pass me any more either (I guess the state/cops have been cracking down on shops now). So I had to get my tints all taken out & 50% installed all around. Definitely don't like the look as much, but it is what it is & now I don't have any headaches when it comes time for the inspection. Sucks for sunlight now too, way more light comes in now.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
/\... I believe Brian @ Tint King installed 40% on mine and when I tested my tint level with Mass's gauge, it came up to 36%.
Barely Legal
Thats funny, I got mine done by Brian at Tint King as well same exact thing. They put on a 38% Film on and when we tested with the meter it came out exactly 35%. I couldnt be happier with the tint and the service with those guys. Highly recommend them to anyone looking for tint in the area.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Greekboy115
Thats funny, I got mine done by Brian at Tint King as well same exact thing. They put on a 38% Film on and when we tested with the meter it came out exactly 35%. I couldnt be happier with the tint and the service with those guys. Highly recommend them to anyone looking for tint in the area.
+1 Brian and Corey do great work there at Tint King.

I got 45% all around and he said it was 38% on the meter. I got a receipt from them saying that they put legal tint on, but not sure what kind of weight that would carry if I failed inspection because of tint.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Yeah, they did awesome work and offered a fantastic service as well. I drove out there the morning after having two wisdom teeth extracted. Brian let me and a friend sit in his private office upstairs so we could sit on our laptops and get some work done while he was working. I found a gigantic bowl of "bit-o-honeys" on his desk and couldn't eat any cause of my teeth
He gave us a great deal, doing the tint on two G's at the same time and he did top notch work and even let us pop our heads in and watch from time to time.

Great guys, highly recommended.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:26 PM
moe
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lol, funny how NH allows no tint on front windows, cops enforce it.

Inspection shops never bother rolling up the windows to see the tint tho hehe

Irony in MA /NH laws is a bitch

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: question about tinting small windows of coupe and laws in MA...