I hate cops.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2010 | 09:45 PM
Walking The Fine Line...
Staff Alumni
Premier Member
Originally Posted by monteitis
You never go more than 5 over the limit? Well gee, willikers. Ticketless for 30+ years, and countless hours wasted by driving so much slower than everyone else. To each his own. Maybe you should change your alias to Good Example?

I'm not necessarily ranting about the outcome of my incident, just the principals behind it.
Reading owns you.

Where did I say that I never go more than 5 over the limit? (reread carefully the part where I say unless I'm obstructing traffic.)

Do some math. Your speed versus my speed over a 50 mile trip is less than the time equivalent of me catching a light. Time wasted versus points and fines? You probably need to rethink your position before you try to argue it.

75MPH average over 10 hours = 750 miles. (my speed)
79mph average over 10 hours = 790 miles. (your speed)

Over ten hours, or a full day of driving, you're ahead by a whopping 40 miles, or about a half an hour... 40 miles over the course of a day is nothing. Reduce the mileage and the difference shrinks exponentially.

You might feel like you're making better time, but reality proves otherwise. Unless, of course, 40 miles over a ten hour period is significant to you. It isn't to me, when you consider the risk.

I like my low insurance and clean record. Both are worth preserving versus the difference gained.

Enjoy your ticket.

Old 11-03-2010 | 09:47 PM
Walking The Fine Line...
Staff Alumni
Premier Member
Originally Posted by megacrazy
No tickets in 30 years? I find that hard to believe.

As far as cops, yeah all they do is raise money basically. So don't get angry...pay the "donation" and move on. Next time they call tell them you already donated
I got enough tickets my first couple of years of driving to last a lifetime. I changed my ways. It paid off. Believe it, don't believe it, makes no difference to me.

Old 11-03-2010 | 09:52 PM
Walking The Fine Line...
Staff Alumni
Premier Member
Originally Posted by LightsOut
^^^
haha thats funny!

mod does try and act perfect... I agree with you op

Actually MOD is about twice the age (or more) of the average poster here and has already learned all these lessons.

It makes a difference. When I was your age I didn't think so either. I was wrong.

Old 11-03-2010 | 11:19 PM
No one has told me about these PBA cards.

I've been handed some sort of card before, but I've just tossed it back and re-instructed the operator to hand me a drivers license.

Old 11-03-2010 | 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by G35 Mass
No one has told me about these PBA cards.

I've been handed some sort of card before, but I've just tossed it back and re-instructed the operator to hand me a drivers license.
The card they speak of do work 75% of the time. Its like a get out of jail card. I've see it work first hand on violations worst than speeding.

Officers give it to friends and family. Is it fair? No... However its the way the game goes.

PS: Never hand the card over, just have it in sight. Always have the PO contact info as well.

Old 11-03-2010 | 11:35 PM
And still no real answer on PBA. I will just assume it's the Professional Bowlers Association.

Old 11-03-2010 | 11:41 PM
-MN G Crew-
Staff Alumni
Premier Member
^Hahaha!!

Old 11-03-2010 | 11:54 PM
Ok. Let me get this right:

Know a cop, get a card, allowed to break the law?

In 49 states, that's called corruption. In NJ, it's an expectation?

Sweet! I'm going to start accepting them and stapling them to my copy of citations. They'll come with me to court. I can't wait to tell the magistrate what these bad boys are all about in front of the violator.

Old 11-04-2010 | 12:04 AM
you don't always get somewhere faster by driving faster...i don't know on how many occasions when i am going to speed limit do people who fly by me and stop at the red light have to look over at me grinning rolling straight by them never slowing down

Old 11-04-2010 | 03:14 AM
usually the cards are supposed to be for family members of a cop. and they dont always work, depending on the reason for the stop. I work in a city, so my motor vehicle stops are usually for things more serious then 9mph over the limit lol. But if u are generally nice and apologize for whatever they said u did wrong, u may just skate by. A lot of tickets are decided based on the drivers attitude as well as the reason for the stop(as much as that sucks). If a cop says u went through a red light, then u did. it wasn't yellow lol. And most departments don't have a quota (some smaller towns do) so don't blame it on us and say we have nothing better to do, because thats when any minor infraction gets added up, such as stickers or tint or junk hanging from your mirror lol.

Old 11-04-2010 | 04:28 AM
Its basically an association card. The ones I have from NYC are the active duty side. They get a certain number of cards they hand out a year for family and friends. It only works in the city that they are given though. I also have a detective pin which is the actual one they wear for when they carry in the city.

I actually did mention in my earlier post what they are. A get out of jail free card that the officer says this is my badge hes good to go.

Old 11-04-2010 | 06:49 AM
Get a Valentine for your car. I've raced sports cars for about 35 yrs, so my street driving speed is fairly high. The detector is a GREAT thing to have.

Old 11-04-2010 | 07:39 AM
So a cop wears a pin saying "I'm a cop" when carrying his gun off duty?

Old 11-04-2010 | 08:56 AM
|
PBA stands for Policemen's Benevolent Association. Like someone stated earlier, these cards are handed out from cops to friends and/or family (family can get higher "levels" of the card). They have to be updated yearly and are signed by yourself and the issuing officer.

GeeWillikers:

I understand, I believe the only time you would be obstructing traffic is if you weren't in the right lane. Clearly you're only comfortable at or below 5 mph above the speed limit, so you should probably just stay to the right if that's your comfort zone.

As for your math lesson- since most people don't drive for 10 hours a day, let's go with 2 hours instead. In your example, I'd be ahead by 8 miles after two hours. So, I'd be going the same distance in about 6 minutes less. Yes, it seems trivial... but now let's multiply by 365 and then by 30. Now I'm ahead by 1,095 hours = 45 and half days. Yeah I'm counting the half day, because I do cherish the occasional half day off.

For the record, I have a clean record as well, and I always have. By clean, I mean zero points. ...Seems my innate instincts over my younger years have been a bit sharper than yours were.

This nerdfest is getting ridiculous, we might as well agree to disagree on this one. No disrespect to your age/experience- my major complaint was the principals behind which officers issue tickets on the road, specifically in my area.

Old 11-04-2010 | 09:03 AM
Does anyone here disagree that greater speed = more inertia = more destructive crashes = more injuries / deaths?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.