NorthEast Serving CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV

Pocono SCCA track days 6/16 - 6/17

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pocono SCCA track days 6/16 - 6/17

The SCCA's Tri-Region race group is holding a Performance Driving Experience (PDX) at Pocono on the long, or national, course on June 16th and 17th.

Despite some recent safety concerns, the SCCA utilizes the NASCAR pits and paddock area so there is no chance of your cars being in danger by errant drivers.

http://www.triregionracing.org/

See the link and look under 5/4/06 PDX for event details and registration links.

This is open to novices and there will be at least two hours of track time each day.

Feel free to email me with any questions.

JD King
Race Chairman
Tri Region SCCA

king@snip.net

Last edited by O NO; 05-19-2006 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Ill be there again

Old 05-11-2006, 08:16 PM
The site isnt working for me right now, but can someone give me an idea of cost and if cars with sunroofs are OK to run? Any other stuff need to be done to the vehicle?

Thanks

Al

Old 05-11-2006, 08:56 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Al
Here's what's on that site

Hosting Organization(s)
Sports Car Club of America,
South Jersey, Philadelphia and N. E. Pennsylvania

Event Type Open Track/HPDE
Event Date(s) 16-Jun-2006 to 17-Jun-2006
Event Description/Schedule Sign up here to receive information on the Performance Driving eXperience (PDX)
at Pocono's 2.5 Mile Long (Club) Course.

Use this form when mailing in a payment:
http://www.triregionracing.org/06pdxregistration.pdf
INSTRUCTOR ENTRY IS FREE

Supplimental Regulations:
http://www.triregionracing.org/06pdxsupps.pdf

When: Friday, June 16 and Saturday, June 17, 2006

Cost: $250 for one day, 450 for two days
(4-20 minute on-track sessions and classroom "chalk talk" each day)

This is the same course we have used for the last two SCCA National Races. It is 2.5 mile road course, run clockwise, with the natural bus stop chicane on the Long Pond straight. This gives you a challenging infield road course with the Devils Elbow, two high speed straights, a bus stop chicane with a second gear exit and one high banked turn (NASCAR turn #1).

PARTICIPANT REQUIREMENTS:
A driver must be 18 years of age and possess a current valid driver's license issued by his or her state of residence. If a driver age 16 or 17 is a current SCCA licensed competition holder, he or she is eligible to drive. 16 and 17 year-old participants (non-SCCA license holders) can only ride with an SCCA driving instructor.
All participants, including drivers, workers, crew members and guests must sign the SCCA Release and Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk and Indemnity Agreement Form at Registration.
All participants (as above) under the age of 18 must present to the Registrar at this event a fully completed Minor Release and Waiver of Liability and Indemnity Agreement form. Contact the Registrar if you need a copy of the Minor Waiver form or download one from the SCCA website (http://www.scca.com/_Filelibrary/Fil...easeform2.pdf).
The organizers of this event have the right to refuse an entry at their discretion.

Event Location Pocono International Raceway
Street Address Long Pond Rd
City Long Pond
State or Province PA
Postal/Zip Code 18334

Driving Directions
http://phillyscca.com/club_racing/fl...PDX_flyer.html
http://www.triregionracing.org/Forms/2005_PIR_Map.pdf
http://www.triregionracing.org/poconolodging.html

Maximum Entries 135
Registration Deadline 06-Jun-2006 Entries must be received prior to the registration deadline.
Online Registration Register Online Now! - View Entry List
Registrar Email indy33@aol.com, emwavey@yahoo.com

Old 05-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Thanks. I'm gonna have to think about it.

Old 05-11-2006, 10:37 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll be there again!

Old 05-12-2006, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by afr0puff
I'll be there again!
Ive got dibs on JD this time

hhah j/k See you there

Old 05-12-2006, 09:11 AM
G (enie) FUNK ERA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be there as well.

Suckas

Old 05-12-2006, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by Speedoholic
I'll be there as well.

Suckas
Uh oh we are in for it now!

Old 05-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Originally Posted by willthethrill
Ive got dibs on JD this time

hhah j/k See you there
LOL! Seriously man... he should auction himself off. Best instructor ever!

Old 05-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Starting the attendee list:

1. JDking (G)
2. Willthethrill (G)
3. Zeeone (JWT TT Z)
4. Afropuff (G)
5. Speedoholic (G)
6. Thecajunstyle (JWT TT Z)
7. Tonin (G)
8. Dovla (G)

more info can be found at www.G350Z.com

Last edited by willthethrill; 06-01-2006 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:59 AM
I'm really interested, just a few questions before registering

Any modifications required to a stock G35 to be allowed on the track ?

Apart from a helmet, any other pieces of equipments I should have ?
Is a motorcycle helmet ok ?

Overall how bad is track day on your tires and break pads ?
Do you guys use track tires or regular street tires ?

Any good infos for a track newb like me would be appreciated
Thanks,

-Tonin

Last edited by Tonin; 05-31-2006 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:38 PM
“A helmet of Snell M-95 or higher must be worn.”

I have some more questions if anyone have a time and/or will for answers:

“Release and Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk and Indemnity Agreement”
Is any insurance included in price? If not, do most of ins. companies cover this event?
Who will be using these garages there?
If needed, would there be any tools?
Should one bring a chair?
Are short sleeves OK?
Are you, 2-days-guys, staying Friday overnight?

I have ordered some MU brake pads and Motul 600. Did you also change brake lines?
If turning rotors is recommended, please suggest the place in NJ?
Will anyone bring tire pyrometer or should I buy one?
I have $200 G-Force Hybrid helmet (SA2005), please suggest better one for price.

Thanks

Old 05-31-2006, 11:12 AM
Supa Dupa Moderator
A stock G35 is fine for this event. Especially if it's your first time. All of us were running on the stock tires IIRC last year.

Your tires will be fine. As for brakes, that all depends on your driving style, and the types of pads/brakes you have on the car.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:30 PM
I have also emailed above questions and received answers, which I am posting here as it might help others.

Glad you guys are coming! We look forward to seeing you there. I'll be there with a yellow CRX and will be speaking during the novice classroom sessions. Please introduce yourselves... look forward to meeting you guys.

To address your questions:

No problem about registering online. You can simply go to: http://www.triregionracing.org/ and mail in the registration form. Read the supplimental regulations which might answer some of your other questions, as well as provide you with a list of hotels if you chose to stay over night. I would suggest staying the might before this event if you're futher away then 2 hours... otherwise it's a really, really long day.

The only other thing that registering online would provide you with is an invite to the message board, which now that I have your email address, I can invite you. (link also provided below) ... online registration process and benefits all covered.

Now to your specific, line-by-line questions:

Any modifications required to a stock G35 to be allowed on the track ?
- No modifications necessary.

Apart from a helmet, any other pieces of equipments I should have ?
- yes, shoes that cover your whole foot, and long pants. The supplimentals also state you should have a shirt with sleeves. Personally I prefer a long sleeve cotton t-shirt, but it isn't a "requirement".

Is a motorcycle helmet ok ?
- yes, provided it's rated as Snell 95, 2000, or 2005. If it doesn't say this on the outside, sometimes it's underneath the liner in the inside of the helmet. If it doesn't say it anywhere, see if you can find a serial number and research it with the company. Be prepared to provide that information at "tech inspection".
... failing all else, we do have some loaner helmets available.

How many cars at the same time during track sessions ?
- It depends on how many register for the event. Suffice to say, that the track is long enough that their won't be much "traffic" to deal with.

And the most important one... will I need to change tires and break pads
after a whole day on the track ?
- JD King [ king@snip.net ] would probably be a better person to answer this question specific you your car, since he owns a G35. My best educated guess would be no. If your tires and brakes are relatively new, you should be fine. There will be a "pre-tech" inspection that must be filled out, however. You can take your car and have someone look it over, with brake pads being one of the items checked. The course configuration we are running shouldn't be too hard on your brakes.

I know this one probably depends on my driving style, but since it's my
first track day with a car and the G is pretty much new, I will be taking it
easy (as much as I can...)
- Indeed, true, this is probably a bigger consideration then the type of car you'll be driving. Your instructor can work on many things with you, "braking" being only one of many components to enjoying and learning how to drive quickly and safely around a track.
* Here are some brief tips to help before the event. Two hands on the wheel, the shifter is 1000 degrees, (so don't leave it on the shifter) practice looking ahead, sit yourself so that when your shoulders are against the back of the seat, your wrists can rest upon the top of the steering wheel. That should help give you good posture for driving on and off track... if and when you think about it, practice these things before the event.

Do you guys use track tires or regular street tires ?
- DOT approved tires only. That means any type of tire that is recognized by the Department of Transportation as being safe enough to drive on the street. In english however, there are DOT approved race tires that a select few might have on their cars, but in my experience, most people will have their cars shod with performance, everyday-type tires. Honestly it really doesn't matter much what type of tire you have on your car, just as long as there's tread available and there are now "buldges" or "cords" showing. This isn't necessary, but you may also want to increase the normal pressure by about 5-10 lbs., depending on sidewall stiffness and height for driving on track.

"Release and Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk and Indemnity
Agreement" - Is any insurance included in price? If not, do most of ins. companies cover this event?
- Depending on your insurance company, if in the event of a mishap, your car insurance "may" pay for damages. From my understanding, the SCCA's insurance covers your personal self in the event that something happens to you. I'll let someone more familiar give you the actual facts and figures about the SCCA's insurance.

Who will be using these garages there?
- First come, first served basis on garage space

If needed, would there be any tools?
- Some folks will have their personal tools, but the track itself does not. If in a pinch, you need help, I'm sure someone would be willing and/or able to give you a hand or a tool. If you can though, and you think you might need something and you can bring it, do so. Personally I like to be as prepared as possible, but that's just me.

Should one bring a chair?
- I have brought a chair to most events. Sometimes it gets used, sometimes not, and sometimes I just sit on my tool box.

Are short sleeves OK?
- I wondered about this too, and looked in the supplimental rules. It states:
All participants must wear long pants, closed footwear with rubber soles, and shirts with sleeves while on course. Fire resistant suits are not required, but are recommended for drivers of raceprepared cars and optional in all cars. Any crew members over the wall in Pit Lane must be similarly attired.
While it doesn't specifically address the long sleeve issue, I personally feel more comfortable wearing a long sleeve 100% cotton t-shirt.

Are you, 2-days-guys, staying Friday overnight?
- I'm staying both Thursday and Friday nights. I've tried driving up the morning of an event, and whether it's age, or what, feel like crap the entire day. Rest is an important ingredient to enjoying a day or days at the track, and to me well worth the investment of a room the night before.

I have ordered some MU brake pads and Motul 600. Did you also change brake
lines?
- If you "have to" upgrade anything, brakes is a good place to start. Lines aren't necessary, but can help improve the feel of a firm pedal.

If turning rotors is recommended, please suggest the place in NJ?
- Personally I never had good luck with turned, or resurfaced brake rotors. Once more material is removed the disk becomes, shall we say, less strong. Lately I've just opted for stock replacement rotors when ordering new pads. ... others may have different opinions and results. However if you're say, short on time, go ahead and have the rotors resurfaced to better "bed-in" your new pads.

Will anyone bring tire pyrometer or should I buy one?
- Unnecessary for a track day, really. There is a benefit of knowing how your tires are handling the friction thrown at them, but unless you have an adjustable suspension, the only thing you can adjust is your tire pressures.

I have $200 G-Force Hybrid helmet (SA2005), please suggest better one for
price.
- That fine for this event, and a good price. To "step up" to another helmet will cost either double or triple that. From what I understand the biggest difference in the more expensive helmets is the materials used that reduce overall weight. There are probably other features, but I'm certainly not a helmet guru. I have a G-Force helmet as well... SA 2000.

Hopefully I've addressed all the questions, and if you guys don't mind I'm going to post this little Q and A session on the SCCA_PDX yahoo group, to which by the way, you're invited to join. Here's a link: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/scca_pdx/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pocono SCCA track days 6/16 - 6/17