Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Got a ticket today.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got a ticket for going over a 100 on 101 in millbre and the cop got me for i think 4 violations .... 1. going over a 100, 2. illegal lane change, 3. for my exhaust, and 4. for posession of 2 drivers liencse.. this was when i had a civic though... luckily he didnt impound my car nor did i get tossed in jail thank god.... when the ticket came in it was about 900 bucks... and i think i got 2 points on my record for that one. never again was speeding an issue for me...

Old 11-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Cali Event Coordinator
BASE ACURA TLX NOW WANT A G35 AGAIN THOUGH
Smile

Originally Posted by JDM r TAB
i got a ticket for going over a 100 on 101 in millbre and the cop got me for i think 4 violations .... 1. going over a 100, 2. illegal lane change, 3. for my exhaust, and 4. for posession of 2 drivers liencse.. this was when i had a civic though... luckily he didnt impound my car nor did i get tossed in jail thank god.... when the ticket came in it was about 900 bucks... and i think i got 2 points on my record for that one. never again was speeding an issue for me...

Thanks for making me feel better....$900.00 is insane...!!!
Did it effect your insurance rate?
Luckily I just renewed my policy weeks before the ticket...my insurance hasn't called or anything....

Yeah no un-necessary speeding here too....

BoBs

Old 11-09-2006, 09:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For starters, you may not receive a courtesy reminder in the mail. When you sign the 'ticket', you are signing a written promise to appear. If you do not receive anything in the mail, you need to appear on the date and court indicated on the citation. Read inside the box where you signed. It should say, "without admitting guilt i promise to appear at the place and time below" or something similar. So if it's getting close to the date indicated on the citaton and you haven't received a reminder from the court, you need to drag your happy behind on down to court to enter you plea.

Second, did the officer cite you for 21658(a) VC or 22107 VC? The fine amounts might be different. Somewhere on the internet you can probably find the master bail schedule for your county.

There are many options. You can suck it up and go to traffic school, trial by declaration, or contest the violation in court. If you contest the violation in court and lose, you are no longer eligible for traffic school (most of the time, depends on which judge you have and the mood they are in). Today, the judge was a hammer. I went to court on a ticket for 103 MPH. The judge fined the person $780 and suspended the person's license for 30 days. The judge can change the fine amount based on your driving record. If you have a clean record, I imagine it would probably be a little over $100.

Last edited by g35 chippie; 11-10-2006 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
G35 chippie, whats the limit on speeding when it becomes wreckless driving? I mean how many miles over the limit is it?

Old 11-10-2006, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by gizsf
G35 chippie, whats the limit on speeding when it becomes wreckless driving? I mean how many miles over the limit is it?
Isn't it over 21 mph over the posted speed limit? I could be wrong though.

Old 11-10-2006, 09:04 PM
23103. (a) Any person who drives any vehicle upon a highway in
willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is
guilty of reckless driving.

For starters, this is California law. Reckless may have different elements in other states. Don't let the term 'highway' confuse you.

360. "Highway" is a way or place of whatever nature, publicly
maintained and open to the use of the public for purposes of
vehicular travel. Highway includes street.

Reckless driving may not necessarily have to do with speed. If you are 21+ over the limit, you are just speeding. Let's say you are on the freeway and it's morning commute. Traffic is backed up and crawling along at 20 MPH and you are driving at 40 MPH, using the shoulder to pass, and making unsafe lane changes, driving across gore points and divided sections, blowing through the metering light as you get on the freeway. That is probably going to constitute reckless driving. Usually 3 or more moving violations can constitute reckless driving but not always. Let's say you are on your brand new Ducati 999 and decide to pop a wheelie at 65 MPH and ride it for a mile. That may be interpreted as reckless. Exhibition of speed for sure. Reckless driving is in the determination of the officer. Sometimes doing 110 MPH can constitute reckless driving. It just depends. There are no set guidelines for it. Let's say a pickup truck is driving in the fast lane while pulling a trailer at 70 MPH, and the trailer is whipping in and out of its lane. Reckless? Maybe, maybe not. There are three moving violations there. 22348(c) improper lane with a trailer, 22406(b) exceeding 55 MPH max with a trailer, and 21711 trailer not tracking properly. If no one is around him, I'm probably just going to cite him for a minimum of one of those violations. It depends on his attitude when I stop him. To each officer, reckless has its own meaning.

(b) Any person who drives any vehicle in any offstreet parking
facility, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12500, in willful
or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty
of reckless driving.

This section applies to parking lots open to the public. Speed limits do not apply to parking lots since it is private property. (By the way those stop signs in parking lots cannot be enforced either, private property). Let's say you are practicing your drifting techniques at your local Safeway parking lot while it's full of cars and people pushing grocery carts. That's going to constitute reckless driving. And, yes, I have cited this section. My graveyard partner and I had stopped a car and he pulled into a parking lot. As my partner was running him through the field sobriety tests, a kid in a 69 Nova started doing doughnuts in the parking lot. Apparently he didn't see us. I cited him for reckless because of the amount of other cars and people that were around him while he was doing it.

Last edited by g35 chippie; 11-10-2006 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:01 AM
i've always wanted to videotape cops turninng without yielding, change lane without signal light, DMV fail stop signs and speeding for no reason

maybe someday i can use that when appearing on court.. for getting a stupid ticket

Old 11-11-2006, 08:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks g35 chippie

Thanks to Chippie! for the explanation..made for good reading... now lets supose we are side by side in our G's on the 280 through san mateo county... would you toy around with me or stay at 65 mph?? And if you did would you write yourself a ticket? Of all people I am sure you know that speed kills. Thats why I only drink(not drive)
Would you ever let someone go on a speeding violation say 80mph if they were doing it in a safe manner...light traffic, signal for lane change...etc...

Last edited by rwcblkcoupe; 11-11-2006 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by rwcblkcoupe
Thanks to Chippie! for the explanation..made for good reading... now lets supose we are side by side in our G's on the 280 through san mateo county... would you toy around with me or stay at 65 mph?? And if you did would you write yourself a ticket? Of all people I am sure you know that speed kills. Thats why I only drink(not drive)
Would you ever let someone go on a speeding violation say 80mph if they were doing it in a safe manner...light traffic, signal for lane change...etc...
I don't speed anymore (except at work and only when operating in accordance with California Vehicle Code section 21055). I used up all 9 lives after crashing a patrol car at 120 MPH. Would I write myself a ticket? Uh...no. I've had enough of those. Believe it or not, when I was a young man, I was very, very close to getting my license supsended for accidents and tickets. What irony.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:34 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by suprapt
maybe someday i can use that when appearing on court.. for getting a stupid ticket
Yeah, that will work.