Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Where to park near Golden Gate Bridge?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to park near Golden Gate Bridge?

I have some friends from out of town coming this weekend, and I was planning on taking them into San Francisco on Sunday, in the afternoon.

They probably want to cross the Golden Gate Bridge by foot. I haven't been there in the longest, and I don't know if there's a place to park near by. Where do you think I should go to find parking nearby? Any directions?

I was planning on also visiting Pier 39/Ghiradelli Square, and hitching a ride on the cable car. After that, get dinner at Slanted Door and go home, stopping off at Treasure Island to view the Bay Bridge. Where route do you guys use for the TI meets?

Do you guys think that's a good plan for a Sunday afternoon? And where should I park? Thanks in advance!

Old 03-23-2007, 06:04 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
check out either google maps or local.live.com
there are parking areas on both sides of the bridge.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:07 PM
Avoiding potholes
Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts
Here are a few place I take my tourists.

The parking area on the Marin side of the Golden Gate is usually easy to get into. After your walk you could also go to the other side of the freeway (ocean side not bay). It some awesome views, big cliffs, and great winding roads leading to pretty beaches. The Marin Headlands are wonderful if you have visitors that like being outside. After the GG walk you can stay in the car and drive to pretty picture spots. There's plenty of walking areas too if they need more exercise.

You could also take them to Seal Rock/ Cliff House and get a great reverse picture of the Golden Gate. You're ocean side facing back into the bay and the hike is pretty along the golf course there. Park in the upper lots. The entrance to the trails is on the side away from the street. I haven't been there recently, so I'm not sure of the condition on the trail.

I'm sure there are plenty of SF people that could give you even better ideas.