Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

If a major earthquake were to hit . . .

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by audio_file
Those of us in the PNW would be wise to take the advice of more experienced "california quakers" as we are scheduled for one in a big way up north
Right, and you also have potential volcanic eruptions and tsunamis to worry about as well.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's such a big scam when the media blows things like this out of proportion. It's good to be prepared though. I can't that say I am though.

Remember right after 9/11, the media was constantly talking about a terrorist threat in which biological weapons may be used? They had people going out, buying duct tape and plastic to cover their windows. You know how many cases of bottled water they sold?! LOL!!! There is absolutely NO amount of duct tape and garbage bags that will keep you safe from the blast first of all, then the aftermath or biological warfare gas.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same thing for the Y2K virus. Funny how a forecasted event can provoke a nation to simplify and worry about buying just toilet paper & bottled water.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:17 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by badbread
Just moving out here, what do you all do (if anything) to secure stuff on the wall, like big pictures, shelves, my computer desk, my TV, etc... Does everything need to be anchored into the walls? I don't think my landlord would dig that to much.
Anchor to studs with eye bolts is best.
Being a Landlord, ehh no big deal. Just patch the holes good before if and when you move out.
Usually place is painted or touched up between tenants anyways.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:40 PM
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I've got everything in my motorhome. I always keep it stocked full of canned goods, the refrigerator is on and we keep the water tank and propane full. We also fill up the gas tank everytime we get home. It has a generatior built-in and if we need more gas the boat always has a full tank we could steal. Now this isn't for earthquake preparedness it's so we can be ready to go to the lake on a moments notice. But it will work if the big one hits. I will be the only one on the block with a full functiioning bathroom and t.v. I'll bet the neighbors will want to use my bathroom! I have all my furniture that could fall fastenend to the walls with the earthquake straps and quake hold for things on shelves. You can buy all that at home depot or lowes.
Lisa