Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Date restaurant?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by G-girl
Okay... In my days (I'm 87 ) when a guy wants to get to know a lady, he takes his time to go to a nice, quiet place. Although $400 is steep for a first date, a nice, quiet place is appropriate. A pizza place is not. JMHO.
Wait, are you really 87?

Old 11-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by emceephi
Wait, are you really 87?
More like born in 1987...

Old 11-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Avoiding potholes
Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Gammawolf
whenever I go to Oakland, I always stop at Everett and Jones BBQ. I loooooove BBQ and I would even recommend that for a first date. Sometimes first dates can be so pretentious . . . I mean, I dig quiet and good food and views and all that, but what about character and fun? I'll impress you later with a $200 dinner, let's see how you do when you get your hands dirty and have diverse people all around you.

http://www.eandjbbq.com/index_everettandjones_main.html

I hear good things about Flint's too. I love dives, but that may be too divey for some. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...N4S8jgOf7-yVDQ
Side note:
Awesome place. The family that owns it are patients of mine. Every once in a while they show up with a pile of ribs. BBQ ribs are my most favorite food in the world.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:40 PM
Avoiding potholes
I will acknowledge that the company is what makes the date... but I guess a lot of you guys have been with your SOs for a while, you guys forgot what it is like out there in the dating scene. Please don't take offense to it... but the art of courting is lost. Having a nice, quiet, dinner where you don't have to yell over the noise, good food, nice ambiance is all part of dating.

If I were to go on a first date again, I would like to find a nice happy medium place, where I can have a view of one of my favourite city in the world, good food, good service, a place where I can dress up a little bit, have a glass of wine or two and enjoy the company of the man who had the courage to ask me out.
Exactly.
I want to be drop dead gorgeous and kill the poor man.
I can't do that with ribs in my teeth.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skates by the Bay in Berkeley Marina. Is that place not date worthy anymore? Been a while since I last visited. A nice place on the water.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by superdds
damn...how about the one off 35th ave?

hmm.. haven't been to that one in months..
kris doesn't like to eat church's bcuz he thinks the chicken aren't chicken.. he thinks its some kinda other animal.. hahahaah

Old 11-08-2007, 01:38 AM
gillian, you're an awesome chickadee. any guy would be lucky to have you. i say it depends on what you consider an awesome first date. everyone has their preferences, and what they're comfortable with. you're very personable, and you'll shine like the hot mama you are no matter where you decide. =)

although i know he'll be drawn to you for you, i agree... play it up and knock him out with your hot factor. us girls, even if we have so much to offer, we just gotta play it up like nike, and JUST DO IT!! =) rock the stilettos, girl.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The French Laundry perhaps?

http://www.frenchlaundry.com/tfl/frenchlaundry.htm

Only restaurant in America to get 4 Michelin stars this year.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:12 AM
Skates has good food too. http://www.skatesonthebay.com/ the view is great.
I haven't been to Skates in a while but I remembering it being good. It's pretty nice in there and also the bar is very nice if I can remember correctly.

Also, Grace, you could try the Claremont Hotel in Berkeley.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:16 AM
Never gone
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Gammawolf
whenever I go to Oakland, I always stop at Everett and Jones BBQ. I loooooove BBQ and I would even recommend that for a first date. Sometimes first dates can be so pretentious . . . I mean, I dig quiet and good food and views and all that, but what about character and fun? I'll impress you later with a $200 dinner, let's see how you do when you get your hands dirty and have diverse people all around you.

http://www.eandjbbq.com/index_everettandjones_main.html

I hear good things about Flint's too. I love dives, but that may be too divey for some. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...N4S8jgOf7-yVDQ
Everett & Jones FTMFW!!!

Old 11-08-2007, 03:34 AM
Originally Posted by Grace
Gentlemen, I need your help! I've been under a rock socially for a bit and have no idea of the good spots anymore. Can anyone recommend an elegant/cool restaurant in the Oakland/Berkeley area? Preferably with a place to park where my car isn't killed? (Yes, I'm asking a lot....lol).
are you taking me on a date?

im fine with "in-and-out". pwahahahha

Old 11-08-2007, 04:01 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
I'm trying to remember the name of this French place in Berkeley... off of College, it's pretty good. If crossing the bridge isn't a big deal, then I would suggest Mi Lindo Peru. Not the big fancy one either... there's a smaller one around the corner with great food, and imo has a more quiet, more romantic atmosphere.

Originally Posted by kris79's D.D.
hmm.. haven't been to that one in months..
kris doesn't like to eat church's bcuz he thinks the chicken aren't chicken.. he thinks its some kinda other animal.. hahahaah
What's wrong with that? As long as it's sanitized and cooked

Old 11-08-2007, 04:06 AM
There are lots of things to consider here, you cant just throw out a name of restaurants without knowing lil bit about him, since he agrees to let her pick the place? I’m sure she don’t want to give out a bad vibe or wrong impressions that she is high maintenance or being demanding, so you can scratch out of the “expensive” places on the list, then you have think what kind/type of guy he is, is he a silent/strong type or an extravert, if he is former? You don’t want to pick place that is “quiet” (reads elegant ), maybe hard to carry on a conversation since you two can hear everything or he might simply be bored and want to end the evening prematurely (could be a disaster ). Now, how long have she know him? Were they acquaintances for while or he is guy she just met, if he is later? You sure don’t want goto a place that isn’t bit crowded, just in case he turn out to be bit on the boring side, that way she can keep herself entertained by watching other ppl and make her get-away that much easier.

So after carefully analyzing the situation,? I come to this perfect place…TACO BELL, why? You might ask, if she picked Taco Bell he will think she is discerning yet frugal, audacious yet gracious, exuberant yet collected…thats Grace we all knew, PERFECT, no?

Old 11-08-2007, 04:54 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
+1 nothing over 80 bucks for the first date! Especially since you still need to get to know this person to see if you really like them or not. But if she's paying... different story!

Old 11-08-2007, 08:55 AM
Avoiding potholes
Originally Posted by limeg35
There are lots of things to consider here, you cant just throw out a name of restaurants without knowing lil bit about him, since he agrees to let her pick the place? I’m sure she don’t want to give out a bad vibe or wrong impressions that she is high maintenance or being demanding, so you can scratch out of the “expensive” places on the list, then you have think what kind/type of guy he is, is he a silent/strong type or an extravert, if he is former? You don’t want to pick place that is “quiet” (reads elegant ), maybe hard to carry on a conversation since you two can hear everything or he might simply be bored and want to end the evening prematurely (could be a disaster ). Now, how long have she know him? Were they acquaintances for while or he is guy she just met, if he is later? You sure don’t want goto a place that isn’t bit crowded, just in case he turn out to be bit on the boring side, that way she can keep herself entertained by watching other ppl and make her get-away that much easier.

So after carefully analyzing the situation,? I come to this perfect place…TACO BELL, why? You might ask, if she picked Taco Bell he will think she is discerning yet frugal, audacious yet gracious, exuberant yet collected…thats Grace we all knew, PERFECT, no?
I got suckered in on that one.
I was reading along thinking, "Wow I like this side of Shane", and Wham.
You got me. Love it!

Taco trucks are better imo...

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited by Grace; 11-08-2007 at 08:57 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Date restaurant?