Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

HELP on Spring installs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6MT VQHR Sedan
HELP on Spring installs

Howdy do fellow G owners!!! =)

Got a problem I know it'd be a LOT easier if i used a power tool for this but i aint got one and im not gonna buy one. Haha But onto the problem...

Well replacing the stock springs with the 350z Tein H-Techs. Started on the fronts took out everything up until the point where u have to unscrew the top nut on top of the strut. I tried using a breaker bar and reg socket wrenches but it wont budge. Sprayed PB on it to see if itll help but no good. At one point i thought i got it loose but the strut itself was jus internally spinning and not the screw coming loose. So ANY helpfl ideas or been-through this urselves would be GREATLY appreciated... Thanks again in advance!!!

Old 02-29-2008, 02:07 PM
I can haz potato?

Received 1,017 Likes on 792 Posts
sabertooth tiger
Have one person hold the strut stable in their hands while you unscrew the top nut.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:53 PM
Modded Member
Originally Posted by calcul8
Have one person hold the strut stable in their hands while you unscrew the top nut.
That won't work, requires way too much brute strength.

Lay the strut on the ground, and balance your full body weight on it. Use a breaker bar to loosen the top bolt from it's torqued setting, and then a ratchet to get it off completely. Make sure to stand away from the spring, and don't shoot it towards a person/your car/garage.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:04 PM
I can haz potato?

sabertooth tiger
Originally Posted by vodkarocket
That won't work, requires way too much brute strength.

Lay the strut on the ground, and balance your full body weight on it. Use a breaker bar to loosen the top bolt from it's torqued setting, and then a ratchet to get it off completely. Make sure to stand away from the spring, and don't shoot it towards a person/your car/garage.
Isn't that how we did it?

Old 02-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
I rented a spring compressor tool from Kragen but even then I still needed someone to help breaking that top nut free.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:15 PM
To take the top nut off you need a 17mm or 19mm box end wrench with a cresent wrench. Lay the spring on the ground and loosen the nut. You can't use a socket until the nut is loose, all you are doing is spinning the shock.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:37 PM
6MT VQHR Sedan
Originally Posted by accordhybrd
To take the top nut off you need a 17mm or 19mm box end wrench with a cresent wrench. Lay the spring on the ground and loosen the nut. You can't use a socket until the nut is loose, all you are doing is spinning the shock.

i've tried everything listed above except accordhybrds version... thanks tho -
ill try that hope it works - u cant use a breaker by with this by any chance to loosen the nut? That would be much easier.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by mEsOaZn
i've tried everything listed above except accordhybrds version... thanks tho -
ill try that hope it works - u cant use a breaker by with this by any chance to loosen the nut? That would be much easier.
The nut is not that tight, have you every dropped a honda. Its the same idea, just with the special bex end wrench. I'm trying to find a link to show you the special wrench you need.

Here is the wrench that will make your life easier

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...tyle%7CBox+end

Last edited by accordhybrd; 02-29-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:44 PM
Take It To The Pro Shop... Norgal Gm Garage Excellent Work , With Food And Beer From What I Hear

Old 02-29-2008, 06:45 PM
I can haz potato?

sabertooth tiger
Originally Posted by 35gsleeper
Take It To The Pro Shop... Norgal Gm Garage Excellent Work , With Food And Beer From What I Hear
and free Stage 1 Weight Savings with each paying customer

Old 02-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by 35gsleeper
It "should" no longer be free, cus Noobs never buy/bring any food nor beers, and all the master techs had buy their own dinner/drinks at B/A last week.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:34 PM
get a freind with air tools.....LOL......or take them to a shop and have them replace the springs then reinstall them on your car..... I have never seen it done by hand....

Old 03-01-2008, 01:16 AM
if you are going to take that nut off the top without compressing the spring you are definately going to kill yourself or someone else. You need to compress the spring in order to insure safety. Glad i dont live nearby.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not sure if your using a spring compressor or not... but i i would slightly loosen the bolt while it is still installed on the car and then compress the spring..move the whole axle down and pull the strut out..once youve dont that...slowly loosen the bolt compeletely and loosen the compressors until you can take it of without popping it...basically until they come off by themselves..or as said by other members just take it to a shop and have them do it and then you can just reinstall it yourself... hope that helps at all...

Old 03-01-2008, 02:45 AM
battle froggy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jasoncham2003
if you are going to take that nut off the top without compressing the spring you are definately going to kill yourself or someone else. You need to compress the spring in order to insure safety. Glad i dont live nearby.

please be careful. back in honda days we use to shoot the spring out one time my friend got shot in the face and it wasnt pretty.... if ur going to it that way dont do it in a garage.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP on Spring installs