Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Nismo Bumper V1 Issue with Undertray *Pics Attached*

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Nismo Bumper V1 Issue with Undertray *Pics Attached*

Having issues with my Nismo V1 bumper and the undertray. The undertray came loose and dragged on ground. Something does not look right with the bumper.

I just took some pics since its hard to explain what this all looks like

Looking almost level with bumper. Middle section is hanging down. It was only hanging down a little before but now I dont know what happened to it.

Looking under bumper lil more at part hanging down

Behind bumper - notice the gap between the bumper and undertray

Closer look at gap. Notice the screws that used to hold something together. Now nothing.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it looks like you must have parked over a curb or something and the bumper was pulled out/down more then what it's suppose to be =/
I see a bend/crack ?? from one end to the other..
I suggest trying to use a nut +bolt combination.. they'd hold better then the screws (or zip ties)

Old 06-15-2009, 09:55 PM
I did run up on a stopper once and pulled off it. At the time there was nothing really hanging down. I agree that a nut and bolt would work better than zipties but where would I even put a nut and bolt? There is no overlap. I do not even know what to ziptie. If I ziptie the undertray, then the bumper will still have that section hanging down. If I ziptie the bumper section then there is still the chance the undertray will pop back out since there ie no overlap.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
You can use the existing holes from the ones side and make holes in the other then use some large zip ties.

Something else you can try is to buy some flat brackets (I've seen them at Orchard Supply Hardware before)...flat with holes in them. Something like the pic below but no bends on the ends. Buy some bolts/nuts and use the bracket to hold the two pieces to one another. It's hard for me to give advice without seeing it in person.

Good luck

Old 06-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by G35papa
You can use the existing holes from the ones side and make holes in the other then use some large zip ties.

Something else you can try is to buy some flat brackets (I've seen them at Orchard Supply Hardware before)...flat with holes in them. Something like the pic below but no bends on the ends. Buy some bolts/nuts and use the bracket to hold the two pieces to one another. It's hard for me to give advice without seeing it in person.

Good luck

Chris, I like your idea. Something like this would work and I think it may be possible to use the bolts on the undertray (top arrows) and then use the holes on the bumper (bottom arrows) with nuts and bolts to hold both together. My only concern with this is there may still be a small gap so I dont know how the airflow will affect this. Another thought that came to me was to use a strip of sheet metal and close up hole using the holes and bolts mentioned above (notice the red section in picture)

I think the oem bumper went under the undertray and used those top holes to secure. The sheetmetal would be an extention of the undertray and mount to bumper using the holes already in bumper.

Thoughts?

Old 06-16-2009, 11:01 AM
I guess my route is the best and easiest way.... We shall see...

Old 06-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Yeah, you answered your own questions

Good luck

Old 06-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what a coincidence, i have this same exact problem and i think the result of the dragging has completely screwed up my undertray. havent gotten a chance to REALLY take a look under the car but i need to get it resolved ASAP. lemme know how you go about fixing it.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 458 Likes on 237 Posts
I just zip-tied mine....2 years and still holding strong

Old 06-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Fixed....

Old 09-29-2009, 03:15 AM
where did you get those metal flat pieces ? what size bolts and washers did you use?

Old 09-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Any hardware store will carry those. Be sure to get lock washers to go under each nut.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by theunknown
where did you get those metal flat pieces ? what size bolts and washers did you use?
I got the flat metal pieces at Home Depot in the door hardware section. THey came as a pack of three. Not sure about the bolt size but I took the original black bolts and washer (seen in first pictures) out and replaced them with new bolts and washers. I could not find the nut to fit the original so this is why I went this route.

Originally Posted by G35papa
Any hardware store will carry those. Be sure to get lock washers to go under each nut.
I put on some star type washer on the bolt head side to grab into the bumper and hold. They are not exactly lock washers. Could not find the lock washers in the bolt size. They are holding up pretty well and have not backed out.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Mending plates

This sounds perfect. I'm gonna try this out later when I roll home. I wish they had made the bottom part of the v1 nismo bumpers a little longer. Thanks again for the quick replies

Old 09-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Yep, those star washers you described are also a type of lock washer Troy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nismo Bumper V1 Issue with Undertray *Pics Attached*