Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

* NorCal Speed Traps Thread *

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 03:36 AM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
Exclamation * NorCal Speed Traps Thread *

Post up local speed traps. Cops get lazy just like the rest of us and will probably use the same spots more than once. There are few sites on the web for this, but most aren't updated regularly. Help out a fellow NorCal G owner

NorCal Speed Traps
The most recent updates are at the top of each subsection.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * PENINSULA * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Interstate 80
- Hiding behind the concrete barriers just before the Treasure Island tunnel on the Bay Bridge / I-80S

Highway 101
- Cruisers posted up on multiple occasions at the Poplar on/off ramp on 101 San Mateo
- 101 southbound near the 380 merge right next to the airport.
- Right before 92 on 101 southbound cops sit right next to the wall on the right side were you cant see them.

Interstate 280 Southbound
- San Mateo Country Sheriffs catching cars merging from 92 to SB 280.
- CHP officers have a tendency to hide behind the overpass where 92 merges with SB 280.
- Skyline merge (and there's a spot not too far after that looks like a construction area where I've seen them)
- At the Bunker Hill offramp, they'll be parked on that little hill.
- Downtown / Embarcadero freeway just after the onramp there is sometimes a cop hiding right here.
- at the merge to 380 in the construction zone to your left they can hit ya from 280 south and north if you merge on to 380 and they are quick got a long runway to get up to speed before merging and since it's a construction zone fines doubled >.< beware!!

Interstate 280 Northbound
- Trousdale cops sit on the on ramp behind the wall.
- Onramp from the vista point after Edgewood
- Onramp from the closed ramp after the vista point before 92 (I see a CHP officer here maybe 3-4 times a week)
- when you are going past the San Jose st exit in SF going north the highway goes up a bit and then there is a curve and some overpasses and there are cops sometimes sitting there on both sides N and S.

Interstate 380
- at the merge to 380 in the construction zone to your left they can hit ya from 280 south and north if you merge on to 380 and they are quick got a long runway to get up to speed before merging and since it's a construction zone fines doubled >.< beware!!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * SOUTH BAY * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Interstate 280 Northbound
- around Lawrence to Wolfe exit. I usually spot cops with their radar around lunch time to afternoon time.
- Farm Hill onramp
- El Monte offramp
- median above between Page Mill and Alpine
- Spot on the side covered by shrubs after Alpine and before Sand Hill

Interstate 280 Southbound
- In the grassy median (where the concrete barrier splits up) that's between Apline and Page Mill
- There's a little drive way off 280S after Page Mill but before El Monte
- around Lawrence to Wolfe exit. I usually spot cops with their radar around lunch time to afternoon time.
- Down the hill after Woodside and before Sand Hill.
- Woodside onramp Sand Hill speed trap a few times beware you can see it till you pass it. It's some kind of dirt road off the side (probably the same as the one above).

Highway 17
- heading north, be aware that immediately after the summit of the SC Mountains, police motorcycles almost always set up a speed trap. They catch speeders who let their cars coast down the highway as it gathers speed from going downhill, and are caught off guard as they make the first turn.

Highway 84
- heading towards Palo alto. 55 mph bridge. Cops always waiting before the bridge.

Interstate 880
- 880S just before 237, cops hide on the on ramp before 237.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * EAST BAY * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Interstate 80
- all around American Canyon.
- eastbound all around the 80/680/12 merging connectors. Hides on redtop rd on-ramp.
- right after the rodeo exit and before the hercules exit on 80 west. you will not see him until you are right next to him.

Highway 24 Westbound
- From Walnut Creek to Oakland: at Pleasant Hill road just after the traffic clears from the big merge. The car sits at the entrance to the freeway so you don't see him until it's too late. I'm through there around 5-ish but by 6-7pm it's gone.
- just after the final curve out of the Caldecott heading into Oakland. They sit just after the Broadway exit. So much for the final twist-y zoom....lol.
- been seeing a few chp right at the exit of the caldecott tunnel during the commute hrs.
- Also just after the final curve out of the Caldecott heading into Oakland. They sit just after the Broadway exit. So much for the final twist-y zoom....lol.

Highway 24 Eastbound
- Oakland to Walnut Creek: Something new seemed to be added this last Saturday. Going from Oakland into the Caldecott there was an officer outside his car with radar propped against the Broadway exit sign. Just before the merge into the tunnel, there were another two officers pulling cars over.

Interstate 680
- 680S near 84 when you have a downhill curve and the carpool lane opens up the cop is 100 yards down on the side of the road , ive seen that trap twice around 1pm, only caught once!

Interstate 580
- Wife says she has been seeeing a lot on 580 just before hayward....

Highway 12
- East connector off I80 east. 65 dwn to 55 just over hill...hello (BAM) then dwn to 50...(BAM).
- Eastbound from Suisun out to Rio Vista and vise versa (blood alley) with dbl fines.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * MARIN COUNTY * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Highway 101
- CHP likes to hide behind the Rodeo Ave onramp along 101S. There is a hedge in front of the onramp so the only part of the cruiser you can see is the driver side window, radar gun, and lights up top. Very sneaky.
- northbound - cruiser parked at one of the three or so exits between Mill Valley and Corte Madera.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * SACRAMENTO AREA * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Highway 70???
- always at least one chipper 10 mi south of Oroville. He's always somewhere up there on the right side going north.

Last edited by bigc; 08-13-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:14 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Not sure if this is old news, but I got a ticket heading back to school on 280:

Heading southbound on Interstate 280 (from San Francisco to San Jose or Santa Cruz), be aware that CHP officers have a tendency to hide behind the overpass where 92 merges with SB 280. I've spotted 4 patrol cars sitting there with laser guns protruding from the windows like Christmas ornaments.

I've also seen a San Mateo Country Sheriff patrol car merge from 92 to SB 280 and pull over a speeding Civic. The poor Civic didn't even realize a white Crown Vic was creeping up until the lights came on.

Please be alert when you're in that area.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:24 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Also for those of you who take 17 to Santa Cruz (heading north), be aware that immediately after the summit of the SC Mountains (you'll know when you pass the summit, it is a long stretch of straight road what changes from uphill to downhill with wide pull-out areas that have restaurants on both sides), police motorcycles almost always set up a speed trap. They catch speeders who let their cars coast down the highway as it gathers speed from going downhill, and are caught off guard as they make the first turn.

The speed limit is 60 on the straightaway and 45 through the first turn, and be sure you clear the first couple turns before you resume your 'escapades'.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:47 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
atleast 3 times a week there is one right after the rodeo exit and before the hercules exit on 80 west. you will not see him until you are right next to him. so be careful

also there is always a cop on the coming skyway on ramps. he changes it up from east bound to west bound. but either way he is always there

Last edited by kennymo; 07-26-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Received 272 Likes on 222 Posts
Speed Trap #1 101 south bound near the 380 merge right next to the airport.
Speed Trap #2 Right before 92 on 101 southbound cops sit right next to the wall on the right side were you cant see them.
Speed Trap #3 280 northbound at Trousdale cops sit on the on ramp behind the wall.
Speed Trap #4 280 northbound at Farm Hill BLVD on ramp

This weekend I drove from SF to SJ and counted at least 20 cops on the highways so becareful

Old 07-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of my commute involves 280N and 280S.. so I've put down the spots I've noticed CHP at.

280S
- Skyline merge (and there's a spot not too far after that looks like a construction area where I've seen them)
- At the Bunker Hill offramp, they'll be parked on that little hill.
- Under the overpass to 92
- Down the hill after Woodside and before Sand Hill.
- In the grassy median (where the concrete barrier splits up) that's between Apline and Page Mill
- There's a little drive way off 280S after Page Mill but before El Monte

280N
- El Monte offramp
- Same median above between Page Mill and Alpine
- Spot on the side covered by shrubs after Alpine and before Sand Hill
- Farm Hill onramp
- Onramp from the closed ramp after the vista point before 92 (I see a CHP officer here maybe 3-4 times a week)
- Trousdale onramp

Old 07-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Avoiding potholes
Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts
I'm back and forth on Hwy 24 a lot. I've noticed leaving Walnut Creek and heading back to Oakland there's been a couple pretty regularly at night.

Hwy 24 From Walnut Creek to Oakland
-At Pleasant Hill road just after the traffic clears from the big merge. The car sits at the entrance to the freeway so you don't see him until it's too late. I'm through there around 5-ish but by 6-7pm it's gone.

-Also just after the final curve out of the Caldecott heading into Oakland. They sit just after the Broadway exit. So much for the final twist-y zoom....lol.

Hwy 24 from Oakland to Walnut Creek

Something new seemed to be added this last Saturday. Going from Oakland into the Caldecott there was an officer outside his car with radar propped against the Broadway exit sign. Just before the merge into the tunnel, there were another two officers pulling cars over.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Well all the spots that i know have been put down except 2
280N and S same spot: N when you are going past the San Jose st exit in SF going north the highway goes up a bit and then there is a curve and some overpasses and there are cops sometimes sitting there on both sides N and S and the road is sometimes so smooth i dont notice that im, doing 90..

also
280 Downtown the Embarkedero freeway going south just after the onramp there is sometimes a cop hiding right here

Old 07-26-2010, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen that 280 south woodside on ramp sand hill speed trap a few times beware you can see it till you pass it. It's some kind of dirt road off the side.

Also 280 south merge to 380 in the construction zone to your left they can hit ya from 280 south and north if you merge on to 380 and they are quick got a long runway to get up to speed before merging and since it's a construction zone fines doubled >.< beware!!

Old 07-27-2010, 09:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Hwy 84 heading towards Palo alto. 55 mph bridge. Cops always waiting before the bridge.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:30 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
thanks for posting up everyone...i'll update the OP with a list sorted by freeway and region

Old 07-28-2010, 01:51 AM
Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Southbay side:
280 N or South around Lawrence to Wolfe exit. I usually spot cops with their radar around lunch time to afternoon time.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:38 AM
880S just before 237, cops hide on the on ramp before 237.

680S near 84 when you have a downhill curve and the carpool lane opens up the cop is 100 yards down on the side of the road , ive seen that trap twice around 1pm, only caught once!

Old 07-29-2010, 09:47 AM
Okay this waaaaay more normal than expected but, there always at least one chipper 10 mi south of Oroville. He's always somewhere up there on the right side going north. I used to see him every friday night and wave, on my way to chico. He pulled me over once, buuuut no ticky. Radar FTW

Old 08-01-2010, 06:18 AM
been seeing a few chp right at the exit of the caldecott tunnel during the commute hrs. Wife says she has been seeeing a lot on 580 just before hayward....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: * NorCal Speed Traps Thread *