Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Best places to eat: NORCAL EDITION

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 12:54 AM
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Pork Store Cafe looks like it has some super good meals. I'm gonna have to check it out for brunch or something. =D

Old 09-01-2010, 01:53 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I cant get enough of La Victoria in San Jose and Hayward.
Love the orange sauce

Old 09-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by simin510
I cant get enough of La Victoria in San Jose and Hayward.
Love the orange sauce
Iguana's > La Vic's

They both have their followings as the originals of both are practically right next door to each other in downtown San Jose, but locals and regulars in the area flock to Iguana's... Why? I guess that's for us to know, everybody else to find out for themselves!

BTW, Iguana's Orange Sauce (Chipotle Sauce) > La Vic's mayo filled Orange Sauce

The Horchata at Iguana's is better too!

Those places are great for a burrito, etc... but if I want a Taqueria, I go to other places to eat, like Taqueria Lorena's or a few other spots in the area. For East Bay, I'd rather make the trip out to a spot on 22nd and International - Taqueria Sinaloa, and if I'm lazy, I'll hit up Taqueria Las Vegas, amongst a few other spots. (Sorry Jeremy, Fabian)

Last edited by dofu; 09-01-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Taqueria Las Vegas in Fremont (in front of nummi) is nasty... Im Mexican, I can tell you right now, the $hit they serve there is not Mexican food

Los Portales in Newark is 100 times better than Taqueria Las Vegas

Old 09-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Cali-Darkness
Taqueria Las Vegas in Fremont (in front of nummi) is nasty... Im Mexican, I can tell you right now, the $hit they serve there is not Mexican food

Yea, I was just naming them off... I don't know that area as well as other ppl do anyways. I go to Taqueria Las Vegas for a Cali Burrito... fries instead of rice, with prawns and carne because Iguana's won't do that anymore... not even for me , and I don't know any other Taqueria type places with fries. I wonder if they'll do that still?

BTW, I listed the wrong one, but I doubt you'd think different about it still.

Last edited by dofu; 09-01-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by emceephi
4 1/2 stars on yelp from over 1000 users. The reviews don't lie.
Sure they can... there are some Chinese spots that just suck, but all the Vietnamese on Yelp give it high ratings because it's cheap... there are some Korean spots that just suck, but Chinese and Vietnamese give the place high ratings also because it's cheap, while the spots with good food get lower ratings for some reason... which IMO is all good because the lower ratings means less ppl. Less ppl means better service and better quality food for those of us who still go there!

Dim Sum is a good example... all the good Dim Sum spots in San Jose don't have high ratings, while Dim Sum King and Eggroll King gets high ratings for their day old Dim Sum...
Korean Palace on El Camino is another good example... the food here sucks, and for less than you'd spend here for two ppl, you can order more than enough food to have left overs at any other KBBQ spot which will have much better quality foods. These jokers might as well give McDonalds 5 stars! (which I'm sure some of them do!)

Last edited by dofu; 09-01-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:36 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by dofu
Sure they can... there are some Chinese spots that just suck, but all the Vietnamese on Yelp give it high ratings because it's cheap... there are some Korean spots that just suck, but Chinese and Vietnamese give the place high ratings also because it's cheap, while the spots with good food get lower ratings for some reason... which IMO is all good because the lower ratings means less ppl. Less ppl means better service and better quality food for those of us who still go there!

Dim Sum is a good example... all the good Dim Sum spots in San Jose don't have high ratings, while Dim Sum King and Eggroll King gets high ratings for their day old Dim Sum...
Korean Palace on El Camino is another good example... the food here sucks, and for less than you'd spend here for two ppl, you can order more than enough food to have left overs at any other KBBQ spot which will have much better quality foods. These jokers might as well give McDonalds 5 stars! (which I'm sure some of them do!)
Well, I was more implying that the reviews for that particular spot aren't lying.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:01 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Cali-Darkness

Man I live in Newark and have never been there
lol

Old 09-02-2010, 01:38 AM
I can haz potato?

Received 1,017 Likes on 792 Posts
sabertooth tiger
Shameless plug:

Bistro Gamrinus in the city for an amazing beer selection and delectable eastern-european-inspired bar grub!

www.beerandgrill.com
1813 Fulton Street
San Francisco, CA 94117
(415) 221-7777

http://www.yelp.com/biz/bistro-gambrinus-san-francisco

Last edited by calcul8; 09-02-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanh Long in San Francisco! Judah Street to be more specific

a little pricey but its one of the best places that i've been to. Even though the only thing i get are the crab and Garlic noodles. Oh and their dessert...the deep fried banana with vanilla ice cream...hella bomb lol

Old 09-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Korean Tofu Soup - SGD Tofu House. IMO, nobody does a tofu soup better in the Bay Area.

Korean Gomtang (Oxtail Soup) - Seoul Gomtang. Yes, there is one on El Camino in Santa Clara, but that one sucks. This is as close as we're gonna get to LA Gomtang here in the Bay, and it really isn't far off. If you guys don't know about Gomtang, it's better than Pho for hangovers!

Chinese Food - Roast Duck/Pork - Kam Po Kitchen. Located at the end of Chinatown right by the tunnel, this place has a really good Roast Duck, but their Roast Pork (the one with the crispy skin) is off the hook! Careful with dates though, this place is a Chinese hole in the wall!

One of my favorite Chinese Spots out in SF... Golden River. It's not the fanciest Chinese restaurants, nor are they as expensive. But for a regular price, their food is damn good... much better than the majority!

Last edited by dofu; 09-02-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Know where to get good jjajangmyun in the Bay Area? I usually go to San Tung for it but want to try other places..

Old 09-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Chinese Food - Chinjin Eastern House. Another hole in the wall. Their specialties here is anything with lamb, dumplings, especially their fried dumplings, Chinese pancakes, and they have Chinese Hamburgers! Almost anything on their menu is damn good though! And yes, the foods are Kosher here! Oh, also not a great date place...

Late night Chinese food - China Palace. Open till 3am everyday! This place used to be awesome for it's super low prices and ginormous plates of awesome foods, but now the prices have gone up and they started skimping on the food a bit, but the food is still good, especially after a night of binge drinking! And for those who can enjoy exotic Chinese foods at a hole in the wall, this place has it all... from Lotus, to frog legs and more! A few warnings for this place: MSG, and http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?ne...%3DaTtdy6xFI5k

Last edited by dofu; 09-02-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by ntrinsik
Know where to get good jjajangmyun in the Bay Area? I usually go to San Tung for it but want to try other places..
I only know Zazang, but that place isn't that good... might be awesome when I'm drunk but not when I'm sober. I hear there's a good hand pulled jia jang on Capitol, but I've never been there before, and I know some Koreans who like the jiajang at Taste Of China, but I think the food there sucks.

Last edited by dofu; 09-02-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sol Food in San Rafael is also hella good. It was featured on the food network.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best places to eat: NORCAL EDITION