Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Infiniti Oakland Service Sucks! Denied Warranty on Oil Filter!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infiniti Oakland Service Sucks! Denied Warranty on Oil Filter!

If you’re looking for a place to service your Infiniti don’t look at Oakland Infiniti. Their service department SUCKS!!

The car in question is a G35 (2003 6-Speed Coupe) which is given to my girlfriend (and business partner) to drive as her commuter car to her primary job. She basically drives 55mph to and from the work on the car. The car has never been to the track and has never been pushed hard. No modifications on the car.

Since it is an early 2003 model car, I noticed that the car was getting through oil from the very beginning (about 1 quart every 2000-2500 miles), but was told that this was “normal.” Since I change oil every 2500-3000 miles, I let it go. The transmission was replaced with about 3-4k miles on the car due to grinding (and now it’s doing it again).

Fast forward to today. The car only has 34K miles and several months ago my girlfriend was complaining that the car was “acting up”, some hesitation on acceleration in 5th and 6th gear as well as getting gradually slower. I didn’t believe her for awhile, but finally I test drove the car, noticed the problem and decided to look into it. Basically besides the car not feeling like it did new (much slower) the car seemed to be hesitating on acceleration in high gears, possibly pulling timing due to perhaps knock retard at or around peak torque in 4th, 5th, and 6th gear. Since this occurred on multiple tanks of gas (from different gas stations) it could not be an octane issue – BUT I didn’t think it was a serious problem.

The night before taking it to Infiniti Oakland, I did a “once over” on the car. I assumed the problem was either a clogged cat (which happens frequently on the 350Z / G35) or bad plugs. I checked the cats. They were good no problems. I checked the plugs. A little oil on #1 and #3 cylinder. A bit of pre-ignition evidence on the same plugs. UH OH.

As those of you may know, oil in the combustion chamber acts as an octane suppressant. Mix in a little oil and your 91 octane fuel becomes 87 or less. With the timing and compression levels of the reasonably high-powered VQ35DE engine, you’ll invariable have knock activity.

I did a compression test. 175 on all the passenger side banks (cherry). 125-130 on #1. UH OH.

Clearly the engine is down on compression, the oil leak likely from the piston rings, and the problem most likely caused by improper boring / honing of the short block at the Nissan factory. This is not an unknown problem, I know of several early 2003 VQ35 engines with the same problem. The solution is either to pull the motor, bore / rehone the block, and drop in oversized pistons or replace the short-block completely.

SOOOOOO

I take the car down to Infiniti Oakland. Aside for the taillight issues and transmission grind (the original appointment) I tell the service writer that the car appears to be hesitating and lagging in 5th/6th gear, and that I pulled the plugs and noticed oil on the plugs. I informed him that the engine was going through oil. I advised him that in my opinion the engine was not very healthy.

He immediately informs me that he has had to replace engines in the early 2003’s before. But that the service guys “are reluctant to work on warranty engine replacements because they are not paid after Nissan’s warranty department pays them”. He also states that it is a big hassle to try and warranty engines from Nissan. He also told me that with the “new aluminum block engines” you are not supposed to use synthetic oil and that because I am using synthetic oil (as opposed to a synthetic blend) that is causing the oil leakage (funny how Porsche uses Mobil 1 from the factory). Basically he appeared reluctant from the beginning to try and help me out. But he also brags that his “senior master tech which is not just a master tech but a senior master tech” will be taking a look at the problem.

So although a bit concerned, I leave the car with him and await his call. About 7 hours later, I get a call from the service writer. He states the following:

1. The lights will be fixed under warranty (great, I didn’t feel responsible for the harness going out at 34K miles).

2. The transmission grind was likely due to the oil in the car “being too heavy of a weight.” (this is a load of crap, I put in exactly what was recommended and it was grinding before the fluid change anyways).

3. I should take the car to Peninsula Infiniti since “ the problem originated with them” since that is where the transmission was originally replaced. (nice one - pass the buck to the other dealership)

4. The conversation with the car “lagging” pretty much went like this:
SERVICE: “The senior tech identified the problem as the VDC lagging the car on acceleration”
ME (dumbfounded): “To my understanding on straight line acceleration the VDC only kicks in when slippage is detected correct? Surely my car is not making enough power to break traction in 4th, 5th, and 6th gear on the freeway?”
SERVICE (hesitates): “The VDC also needs to keep the car under control and ensure stability, so that is what it is doing.”
ME (Starting to become frustrated): “Umm... Well I’m pretty sure the problem is not the VDC, did the tech check the plugs?”
SERVICE: “no the tech refused to check the plugs, because the plugs and surrounding components were not torqued down to spec – he could see that they had been removed before”
ME: “Yes I told you I checked the plugs last night, so he didn’t check the plugs or do a compression test?”
SERVICE: “no he didn’t want to touch it”
ME (Becoming more upset): “Look I’m fairly certain there’s a problem with my engine. How can you be sure there is not a problem without a compression and leak-down test? Or without even checking the spark-plugs? I don’t want to pick up my car until the problem is fixed!”
SERVICE: “We can do a leak-down / compression test for you if you want to pay for it. But I will tell you now it won’t be covered under warranty. We are not able to warranty this service because we have no record of your service history or that you ever got any oil changes from any of the dealers, and there is currently an aftermarket oil filter on the car.”
ME: “Right, I change the oil myself every 2500-3000 miles the oil myself using aftermarket oil filters.”
SERVICE: “Right and that is why we cannot warranty any of the service on your engine.”
ME: “Wait let me get this straight, you are telling me that because I used aftermarket oil filters on my car my warranty is now NULL AND VOID????”
SERVICE: “Yes that is exactly what I’m trying to tell you.”

The parts of the conversation before the bold-face is pretty much a paraphrase based on my memory. However the bold-faced section is EXACTLY how the conversation went because I was completely shocked at the statement the service writer gave (and will never forget the conversation). In my opinion this is a load of crap. First of all the service writer acknowledges his techs do not want to work on big warranty issues – basically more worried about getting paid than helping the customer. Second the tech INCORRECTLY identifies the lag problem as VDC? Come on, now. Third, the tech REFUSED to properly diagnose my car by refusing to look at the spark plugs. The torque down the bolts is a bunch of nonsense because it’s only the bolts holding the coil packs. Fourth the dealer tries to pass the buck to Infiniti of Peninsula. Fifth the dealer refuses to take care of me stating that my warranty is VOID due to an aftermarket oil filter.

So basically the BOTTOM LINE IS:

INFINITI OAKLAND SUCKS BECAUSE:

1. THEIR TECHS DON’T WANT TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR BIG WARRANTY ISSUES
2. THEY ARE EITHER LAZY OR TECHNICALLY INCOMPETENT (OR BOTH) – CHOOSING TO BLAME THE “MYSTERIOUS” VDC SYSTEM RATHER THAN TRYING TO PROPERLY DIAGNOSE A LOW COMPRESSION ENGINE (WHICH TAKES LESS THAN 2 HOURS)
3. THEIR SERVICE DEPARTMENT WILL TRY TO PASS YOU OFF TO ANOTHER DEALER SHIP
4. THEIR SERVICE DEPARTMENT WILL TRY TO VOID YOUR WARRANTY FOR NO PARTICULAR REASON

I’m off to Peninsula Infiniti (where I bought the car from). I’ll keep everyone posted as how this develops. I’m not particularly worried since I can have the engine rebuilt, rehoned, balanced, for about $2500 with forged internals by calling in some favors, but I definitely wanted to warn everyone regarding Infiniti Oakland.

Last edited by CPV356MT; 02-18-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:58 PM
Cali Event Coordinator
BASE ACURA TLX NOW WANT A G35 AGAIN THOUGH
If all else fails, contact INFINITI CUSTOMER SERVICE in L.A.
They'll note your inquiry and try to resolve the issue for you.
Infiniti doesn't want to have negative feed back so if Oakland won't help, try calling corp. It's always best to send them a letter.

That's what I did when I had my sedan and the brake issue was just impossible...Three set of Rotros and Pads in 1 year...Finally Infiniti did a re-call and re-imbursed people who shelled out money for their cheap brakes...

good luck man...!

Old 02-18-2006, 04:59 PM
workin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow that really sucks. i'm sorry to hear it. i had read on here that oakland infiniti was supposed to be mod-friendly. maybe they are up to a limit...

if peninsula doesn't help you out, maybe try serramonte/frontier and also contact infiniti customer affairs. if you can get ahold of the regional rep you might have some success with the local dealerships.

good luck and keep us posted!

Old 02-18-2006, 05:03 PM
The lights will be fixed under warranty (great, I didn’t feel responsible for the harness going out at 34K miles).

what happened with your lights? I took my car to Infiniti Oakland yesterday because my harness on my rear left tailight somehow broke, and he said it was pyshical damage and told me to go look how much a new one is. But i dont know how it could be physical damage if theres nothing around it that indicates a hit or something. It just snaped? I want to take it to another dealership, msg me if you can help! and i have a 2005 g35 with 19,000 miles...

Old 02-18-2006, 05:21 PM
The lights were acting up, they were dimmer than normal, the turn signal would lose it's ground and go to quick flash, and the reverse lights didn't go on all the time.

Basically he said it was a bad ground (probably a loose ground), and will be ordering a new harness for the ground.

Honestly I don't trust anything those guys in Service at Oakland Infiniti say anymore, I'm going to have them send my harness down to Peninsula.

That said, if they really won't fix it, I would just go buy a crimp from Pepboys, and crimp it up (or take it to a car stereo place). The fix should be less than $20, although it won't be OEM perfect.

Good luck!

Old 02-18-2006, 06:57 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Did you go beyond the service writer and speak to the Service Manager and after that the General Manager?
Your next recourse would be Infiniti Consumer Affairs.

Old 02-19-2006, 04:39 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
But that the service guys “are reluctant to work on warranty engine replacements because they are not paid after Nissan’s warranty department pays them”.
This is the heart of the problem. Believe me I know, I went through the same thing. They will replace the engine under warranty if you push hard enough.

It's a long read, enjoy!
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06/32451-help-engine-failure.html

Old 02-19-2006, 06:02 AM
workin...

wow i just read that whole thread cru... crazy. i'm glad things worked out for you. i'm not sure how it makes me feel about mods now. i think i'm probably a little less hesitant since it sounds like most people can get their issues resolved with infiniti (and not the dealerships) should a problem arise. but still, it's not clear to me what the long term effects of running lean from NA mods are, for example.

Old 02-19-2006, 09:43 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by CPV356MT
I’m off to Peninsula Infiniti (where I bought the car from).
I doubt you'll have any luck from them. They're the ones that tried to screw me. I made them pay in the end.

One word of advice. Get Infiniti Consumer Affairs involved and ON YOUR SIDE. The delaership won't do anything unless they say so.
1-800-662-6600

Old 02-21-2006, 11:36 AM
CPV356MT:
My friend has the same problem like your but it was a Toyota. Anyhoo, he went to the Toyota HQ and files a complain at the Customer Relation. It took a bit of time but the dealer took care his car problems and he doesn't have to pay a cent. I guess sometime we have to start from the top and working way down. Good luck to you,
pd

Old 02-21-2006, 12:58 PM
Wow, this is the first negative comment that I have heard about Infiniti of Oakland. Definitly keep us posted, I've been taking my car there for service b/c up until now, all I've heard was good things about them.

Old 02-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Update:

Well I just spoke to a nice gentleman at Consumer Affairs for Infiniti. Him and I both agreed that it was amusing that the service tech thought the VDC was the cause of the issues. He flat out stated that although they prefer customers use Nissan OEM parts (naturally) but that a name-brand aftermarket oil filter WILL NOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

That said, I'm to take the vehicle to Peninsula Infiniti (or any other Infiniti other than Oakland) to have basic diagnostics done including a compression test. If the dealership refuses to do a compression test, Infiniti Consumer Affairs will request it.

I will let everyone know how it goes....

Old 02-21-2006, 07:00 PM
workin...

glad to hear they (consumer affairs) is cooperating. best of luck!

Old 02-21-2006, 08:09 PM
Thanks

I will keep everyone posted!

Old 02-21-2006, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good luck!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Oakland Service Sucks! Denied Warranty on Oil Filter!