Picture Share Pics of your or others' rides!

NOT the pictures i like to post.how much is this gonna cost?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 09:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
NOT the pictures i like to post.how much is this gonna cost?

any estimates what needs to be done to the quarter panel...there are a few gouges and 3 wavy dents just in front the tire...also another gouge where it meets the door....i feel like my dog just died

Old 09-22-2007, 09:36 PM
Really Needs a Life
Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts
ohh ouch...

Old 09-22-2007, 09:40 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Ouch!

I would bet that is going to cost at least $1500.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear quarter panels are pricey...

Old 09-22-2007, 11:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
had the same kind of damage when i had my G. It was a bit worse actually. It cost me 800 to fix, i paid 500 and the insurance paid 300 :/ I could have just paid it all myself if i knew. A good shop will make it look like new, and i'm really picky about quality. Some place wanted to charge me 800 just to repaint it without fixing the damage. It really depends on where you go to fix this. The shop is in san diego, let me know if you want the address.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
what happened?

Old 09-22-2007, 11:39 PM
ouch sorry to hear it man... On my evo I had a scratch of the back of it and I got quoted 400 to fix it because they had to repaint the whole rear bumper.
how did that happen though??

Old 09-22-2007, 11:44 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
that's going to be around $1k or more. the same thing happened to me over the summer.

here is an idea of what they will do.

Originally Posted by redlude97
that unfortunately cannot be pdr'd, a good shop can pull out the panel from the outside by welding to the qp to reshape and then fill and smooth it back to the original shape. Had the same thing happen with a hit and run in a parking lot, except my crease extended onto the door as well. Make sure they blend the qp into the rear bumper and door as well for a good match, and they reclear all those pieces completely. A good shop will also pull the window so there aren't any seams in the paint, good luck
Originally Posted by Mark350GT
yeah they will re form it and then they should re paint the entire rear quarter panel. Sorry to see man, good luck.
Originally Posted by speedracerg35
sorry to see this. redlude is correct. make sure you go to a shop using updated materials and procedures. weldpullers do not require a hole to be drilled into the panel...make sure they have weldpullers. also, you will most likely have to have the color blended into the door, but they should not touch your rear bumper.

let me be very specific here on how paint blending is done. they will pull that dent, use filler to reshape, and prime only the area that is repaired. the first few layers of colorcoat will be applied only to the repaired area to cover the primer. after full coverage, colorcoat is applied by lightly fanning it out (blending) over the factory finish...probably 10-12 inches past the repair. this is done so that there is no drastic edge between the new paint and existing paint. since the door is so close to where the repair will be done, the will most likely blend onto that panel. they will then clear the entire quarter and door. i don't know how well dg rocker panels match (my lp rockers from the factory are a shade off) but they shouldn't need to be painted.

edit: at a good shop, you should be looking at around $1000-$1200. good luck, i can relate to your distress. i'm also very particular about this kind of stuff and it drives me nuts to when it happens.
Originally Posted by redlude97
You may be right and the bumper may not need to be blended, mine got knicked as well and they blended the bumper along with the qp and door. One thing to look at is after the blend if you can see the blending on the inside of the door opening. Likely when they blend they'll do it with the door closed, which leave a slight line when the door is opened. Most people wouldn't notice, but I happen to. About the only thing I wasn't particularly happy about. I'm not sure if there is even a good solution to this, but its something to look for when its done
Originally Posted by speedracerg35
a good shop will not leave the gap between the door and quarter unprotected during paint. make sure they use gap foam or equivalent to keep overspray from getting into the door area.

gap foam = 3m product about quarter inch round foam tube that comes in a roll. it is sticky and is applied either to the door edge or all the way around the door sill. once applied and the door is closed, it covers the gap and prevents a paint edge on the door sill and backside of the door.

Last edited by Calvin; 09-22-2007 at 11:47 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:01 AM
i had a bigger damage area at the exact spot a couple of months ago and I paid a grand in cash so they can take off the tax. they had to repaint the rear panel and that side of the rear bumper, and the door in order to blend in the color, they told the side skirt too but they didn't. That was my exhuast money. Just make sure they do a good job when you pick it up make sure compare it to the other side and make sure the side skirt it on tight.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:53 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
well, i was really hoping to get this repaired for less than my $500 deductible but it's not sounding good...i know a few people that work in body shops in my area, so maybe someone will cut me the super secret friend rate but i'm not holding my breath...there goes my CF rear diffuser ...hard to explain what happened without seeing the uber narrow garage i park in for work, but long story short i was trying NOT to hit the car parked next to me(more like on top of me) and instead kissed the column i was parked next to...that's just like my luck...it could be raining pu$$y and i'm gonna get hit with a d!ck

Old 09-23-2007, 11:30 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm guessing around $2,500.....That looks like more work than meets the eye to repair perfectly....alot of prep work to straighten out those ripples....Then Sand down the fender and paint and blend to the doors/trunk/bumper.

Make sure they can adequately match Ivory Pearl paint.....Good Luck.....