Picture Share Pics of your or others' rides!

My trip to Kuwait City

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
My trip to Kuwait City

After a long 10 months here in Kuwait we finally were able to get off base and visit Kuwait City. We visited 3 places, the National Museum, Scientific Center, and the Burj alHamam/Seven Seas Restaurant. It was an fun trip and interesting to see how different the culture is even though Kuwait City is very Americanized. Being on base in the middle of the desert makes you think this country is a dirty unforgiving place, which it is, but Kuwait City is actually very beautiful once you get into the heart of the city. Definitely a place I would enjoy visiting again without the limitations of being military personnel.

Best part of the trip was the cars. Kuwait is very rich, and anyone born in Kuwait is very rich. High end models of Audi, BMW, and Porsche are as common as Civics are to us in the states. Bentley, Rolls Royce, Ferrari... you name it, it's probably there somewhere.

The buildings and structures there are just crazy. They put all kinds of money and thought into the buildings and greenery, but they leave their trash just lying about. Kind of sad but thats their way.

The National Museum had a lot of artifacts from the Failaka Island that are from the Bronze Age (2200 B.C. - 1100 B.C.). It also had a walk through of how Kuwait came to be, and how they lived before the days of oil trades. It also had a Museum of Weaving with a lot of rugs and clothing and such. There is also a planetarium but it was closed for remodeling.

The Burj alHamam/Seven Seas Restaurant was amazing. Its built over the water of the Persian Gulf and is very upscale and said to be one of the nicest and most expensive places to eat in the City. The food was amazing and they just keep bringing more out as fast as you can eat it.

The Scientific Center didn't seem to have much to offer, but then again Kuwait doesn't have much to offer as far as science. There was an underwater aquarium, and an old trading ship to look at, but not a lot else.

Ok enough talk... PICS!

Not sure what this building is, but it looks cool!

Kuwait Towers

Old 04-04-2012, 04:00 PM
new building going up

Mosque

Grande Mosque

combined communications tower...?

Old 04-04-2012, 04:03 PM

Aston Martin dealer

they like Barney

Kuwaiti Navy

Old 04-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
I was in Kuwait last year for almost a year. It's totally different.

I know Kuwait city like the back of my hand. I drove around all over town a few days a week as it was part of my job.

I know what you mean about seeing high end cars all over.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:06 PM

Blurry pic, but used cars lots full of high end cars... this one with a Rolls Royce just chillin outside.

Rolls Royce driveby

Bad shot of a Bentley. There was a GTR parked a few cars down but I couldnt get a pic.

National Museum. It was under construction.

Weaving Museum

Old 04-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Cool.

Fantasy World Toy Store. I'm seeing an awful lot of English on that storefront. Common?

Old 04-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
They got some nice architectural buildings out there.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:10 PM

Little door in a big door...

Water was warm, but I'd never swim in it...

myself and a battle buddy

guy fishing outside the restaurant

Old 04-04-2012, 04:13 PM
the restaurant

the food. Lamb, beef, chicken, and something else (not sure what it was but it was good)

dont walk barefoot in the sand, 1 of 2 syringes we found buried...

old trading ship

Old 04-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by SiouxFallsG35
Cool.

Fantasy World Toy Store. I'm seeing an awful lot of English on that storefront. Common?
Kuwait City is pretty westernized. I didn't have much problem with language as most workers are from Asia and speak english. For instance, I you go to Applebee's in Kuwait City, yes Applebee's, most of the waiters and waitresses are from the Philippines. A lot of the workers at the malls also speak english. Surprised me.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:15 PM

PENGUINS!!!!!

Old 04-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Old 04-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by SiouxFallsG35
Cool.

very common. Just about everyone speaks English, some are fluent, most speak well enough to hold conversation but you have to piece a lot together. About 70% of Kuwait population isnt even Kuwaiti, its mostly Indian and Philipino.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by GR6RR
They got some nice architectural buildings out there.
yes they do. Funny thing though, is they have an awesome looking soccer stadium but they dont use it. There is a flaw in the design and they are afraid it will collapse, but they haven't done anything to try and fix it. Not a very motivated culture when it comes to getting work done.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts
You on Arifjahn? I was there back in 05...and back in 03 but back then Doha was open and Arifjahn was just going up. Kuwait City is cool, but Fahilil is where it's at. They have a flea market out there where you can buy just about ANYTHING. Also, there's a lot of great eateries there (hard rock cafe, little ceasars, chillis, etc). If you get a chance, check it out. We used to hit Kuwait City for a lot of our tech parts and contracted work (I was a 25B computer analyst/programmer), but we never hung out there. We hung in Fahilil.

The water was some of the cleanest when I went. We didn't have the restrictions that they have now, so we got off post more often. We had a bunch of civilians (mostly from Booze/Allen/Hamilton corp) that used to live off post so it was easier to get off. The races we saw were so sick. Looks like you're having fun though man. Enjoy as much as you can. Take it all in. And try not to be around for their Independence day. It's like Mardi Gras times A BILLION

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My trip to Kuwait City