Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Jim Wolf Clutch/Flywheel!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by delion21
I don't see how the clutch could be bad since it did not actually get worn or else you would have smelt the burning.
thats what im sayin. only thing i can think of is the fins from the pressure plate somehow may have made contact with the clutch

Old 02-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a JWT clutch/flywheel for sale on the boards. I loved it and never had a problem with mine. Going with TT so I had to get something that would hold mid 500's.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:23 AM
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
A friend of mine has managed to chirp to 4rth with my car with the stock clutch.

now i gotta go for a spirited drive and see if i can..lol

Old 02-27-2008, 03:10 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by fast04G
now i gotta go for a spirited drive and see if i can..lol
well i haven't been able to do it for 3 years except couple of times at the dusty track so..... good luck. But he did it on the freeway.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:48 AM
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
well i haven't been able to do it for 3 years except couple of times at the dusty track so..... good luck. But he did it on the freeway.
yeah...i couldnt get it to chirp..i felt it grab hard but no go. maybe alittle more power. hmm time for some more mods..

Old 02-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
more photos:

Old 02-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
i wish i understood what all that did.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:16 AM
I am also considering the JWT clutch as Ive got 87K on the original 05 Sedan clutch. Im real tired of the almost-at-the-top engagement, and weak feel. It kills me to spend what I've heard to be close to 2K or maybe a little more at a dealer for a factory clutch/flywheel with labor. I want the added performance and feel that the lightweight JWT combo adds, as everyone here seems to rave about it.

Problem is, Ive done my research, searched the boards, and the one thing I can't really do is hear the "cement mixer" in person. I saw a video with someones, and it seemed overly loud to me at least on video. I am familiar with the chatter occasionally on the stock unit, when sitting at a drive thru or something with a solid wall for the sound to reflect off of.

Question for you guys (and gals)....

Is there anyone in the Manchester, NH or Northern Mass area that currently has one of these installed that I could bother you to listen to in person? I know it sounds dumb...but I want everything but the buyers remorse...at the same time I plan on replacing the exhaust with the full Borla cat-back kit.

So...anyone around my area that wouldn't mind me taking a listen sometime?

Mike

Old 03-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by chobble19
u know i personally dont really know since i wasnt able to compare it to the stock line with the jwt setup. i had it installed at infiniti of coconut creek by this guy bill who has had experience building FI G's and such...he said this is a good upgrade compared to the stock that can stretch or flex. it is supposed to get rid of the mushy cutch pedal feel (whatever that means) but i think it is more for heat resistance...

Bill Kieler? I know that guy. He used to have his own shop nearby and did a lot of work on my old car; 'knows his stuff... Did any of you guys' stock clutch go bad before getting the JWT combo? If so, what are the signs and at what mileage did it happen to you? I was at that dealer for some work a couple months back and they were saying my clutch is showing wear and tear and wouldn't be lasting much longer. However, I have yet to notice anything wrong (I only have 38K miles) and have never revved and dropped the clutch from a stop, so I wonder if they are just doing the typical dealer thing of trying to scare me into getting something done that I don't need (?). hmmm...

Last edited by fldrummer; 03-20-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:31 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by fldrummer
Bill Kieler? I know that guy. He used to have his own shop nearby and did a lot of work on my old car; 'knows his stuff... Did any of you guys' stock clutch go bad before getting the JWT combo? If so, what are the signs and at what mileage did it happen to you? I was at that dealer for some work a couple months back and they were saying my clutch is showing wear and tear and wouldn't be lasting much longer. However, I have yet to notice anything wrong (I only have 38K miles) and have never revved and dropped the clutch from a stop, so I wonder if they are just doing the typical dealer thing of trying to scare me into getting something done that I don't need (?). hmmm...
U have atleast another 100k to go. NEVER EVER listen to the dealer.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks; that's usually what my gut tells me when I hear dealers tell me stuff like that...

Anyway, Chobble19, I posted before I read about your recent troubles. 'Hope it wasn't Bill's fault; please keep us informed about the outcome... BTW, I originally leased a 2004 6MT, but ended it a year later when I test-drove my now 2005 6MT because it drove and shifted soooo much smoother and better than the one in the 2004. Anyone know what they changed in '05? I'm just curious how much better the JWT setup is over mine. I've always been somewhat disappointed with the off-the-line torque response in these cars, since the automatic sedans seem so much quicker off the line (although the MREV2+plenum spacer has helped somewhat), so if the JWT setup really helps as much as people seem to claim, I'm very tempted. Then again, after reading about your recent problems, the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" sounds like a good motto to go by.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:13 AM
Hey guys. I've had this setup for about 10000 mi now and I'm starting to notice three things, (1) chatter has started to get louder at idle (2) Idle has also been inconsistent at times, dropping below 500 rpm while sitting at a red light, (3) hearing a rattling sound and slight vibration while accelerating. I know there is a normal rattling when about 500-1.5k rpm but it seems to happen above 2k while accelerating quite hard. I just wanted to get someones opinion on whether it is clutch/flywheel/transmission related or engine related before taking my car to the dealership. BTW, dealer installed the clutch/flywheel when the transmission was replaced. Any information is appriciated. Thanks.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey chobble by the looks of your clutch, it looks like whoever installed it did a bad job. It looks like the clutch was not aligned properly in the first place. This should not happen with the JWT only but could happen to any clutch not properly aligned.

Originally Posted by chobble19
more photos:

Old 03-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by happydude
Hey guys. I've had this setup for about 10000 mi now and I'm starting to notice three things, (1) chatter has started to get louder at idle (2) Idle has also been inconsistent at times, dropping below 500 rpm while sitting at a red light, (3) hearing a rattling sound and slight vibration while accelerating. I know there is a normal rattling when about 500-1.5k rpm but it seems to happen above 2k while accelerating quite hard. I just wanted to get someones opinion on whether it is clutch/flywheel/transmission related or engine related before taking my car to the dealership. BTW, dealer installed the clutch/flywheel when the transmission was replaced. Any information is appriciated. Thanks.

+1 been wondering about this myself. driving is fine. im just worried about the noise. and if anything bad is gonna happen.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:54 PM
I have the Nismo clutch and Pressure plate with the JWT Flywheel and I have the cement mixer sound at idle too. Those of you experiencing the loud chatter just below 2500 rpm, it is normal and this is what I was told by my tech @ Performance Nissan. The aftermarket flywheels do not have a "mass dampener", this component of the stock flywheel keeps it in place or keeps it steady. Also the JWT is almost half the weight of a stock flywheel, so it will make that loud chatter until it reaches a higher rpm. I love the performance of this setup, but sometimes the chatter does get a little annoying. Oh, well that is the price we pay for performance I guess. Hope this helped...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Jim Wolf Clutch/Flywheel!