Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Second Gen Valve Body from Level 10

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by brnjug
I haven't been on this site in ages,so I am sorry.Just talked to Pat,the kit and install are in production.
Over a year later, the trans is perfect and chirps first and second gear on full power shifts at 7300 in first and 7100 in second
It shifts on demand and will down shift two gears if you learn the technique
I asked for zero slippage and it can be set up softer,but your throttle will modulate the shifts.
I do not have a trans cooler and one is not needed...at Pat's recommendation.Once Pat explains what he does,you will understand the reason to leave the trans cooling stock and why others must add coolers
You don't need to add a cooler unless you are FI. If you are FI and you don't want to add a cooler, than you're just an idiot. The extra heat that turbos and blowers create is tremendous and you NEED a tranny cooler. How do I know? My tranny overheats on the track already with a tranny cooler. Just from that alone I wouldn't listen to this Pat guy

Old 07-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am reminded why I stay off most boards...however as a former sponsored racer of a 10. second GN and an 11 second 380SC I have some experience with FI and transmissions.If the coolling system is marginal for stock or you are in extreme climate conditions you may want to discuss a cooler with the builder.I am also saddened as the "RAVES" in this industry fade as their business practices become better known.The maker of your valve body used Level 10 on their race/show car originally...they learned a lot form that experience but not all and they do what many do to get high line pressures.But that fix has a direct link to cooling problems.BOTTOM LINE...slippage causes heat and slippage is the demon of those slow shifts many of you live with .So many folks crank extreme line pressures to solve the problem.
Solve the slippage issue regardless of power level and alll willl run well for a long time...this trans with the extra clutches will solve any power need

Old 07-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by brnjug
Solve the slippage issue regardless of power level and alll willl run well for a long time...this trans with the extra clutches will solve any power need
What slippage? I do have extras clutches. The trans holds up fine and I have zero issues. With the tremendous extra heat of FI, regardless of the valve body, you need a cooler. Simple as that.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for the slow response,but there are more unanswered issues here than clarity.
Who ever designs/builds your transmission should be asked if your car needs a trans cooler and why.That answer may tell you volumes.
If you have the trans with the extra clutch and steel,the steel provides its own increase of cooling by adding more area to disappate heat. Slppage should be eliminated by the increase of friction area unless your torque(and yes it is torque that transmissions are rated for)is extremely high.The valve body can funtion for quick/accurate shifting and increased line pressure to further protect against slippage..Please note that FI does not means little as a torque or HP figure...lots of difference between 300hp(and similar torque) v 650hp etc
Many valve body designer use a technique of limiting flow to the cooler in a less informed way of incresing shift quickness by raising internal line pressure...There are better ways