Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

5AT 3.5 final drive differential swap.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 08:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by roneski
Can you elaborate on the torque converter? I was thinking of getting one from Level 10, but then I heard some bad things about them.
http://www.actperformance.com

Old 10-10-2005, 11:53 AM
UPDATE:

It's been 2 weeks since the gear swap...the best thing I've ever done. I have to say that the car is also working better since the first days of the install. Perhaps the ECU adjusted as well...don't know...I'll check with TS and see if there is anything that could have adjusted itself out here as well. Shifts are firmer and quicker as well - and I have a trans kit and still noticed the change.

Old 10-10-2005, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so with 3.92, u wont need to upgrade the VB? Also, if the 05 auto with sports package already have the vlsd, does that mean I just need to buy the gears only or will it still not fit?

one more thing, i'm curious about the stall coverter set at 3600, does it make u peel out everytime u let go of the brakes?

Old 10-10-2005, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
so with 3.92, u wont need to upgrade the VB? Also, if the 05 auto with sports package already have the vlsd, does that mean I just need to buy the gears only or will it still not fit?

one more thing, i'm curious about the stall coverter set at 3600, does it make u peel out everytime u let go of the brakes?
Part one - go down about 15 posts - answered it already.

Part two - with the stock tires I peeled pretty easily. I put on 295/35/19's in the rear and that all stopped. Now staging at about 2800 RPM just barely breaks them loose - then when I dump the brakes - she peels for about 8-12 feet and see ya later...

Last edited by ISMSOLUTIONS; 10-10-2005 at 10:43 PM. Reason: stoooopid spelling ... ;-)
Old 10-10-2005, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by HomieG35
I know yall are on 3.9 gears. But I made a thread with timeslips once I had the 3.5 installed and I showed .1 second gain in weather that was 30* cooler..... Dissapointment.
I know of others - and have seen their slips after the 6MT upgrades to 3.9's - and they gained and average of .4 to .8 sec. in the 1/4 - depending on their other mods. So bone stock gained almost 1/2 a sec. on an MT. So with a gear change of approximately 10% over stock - not too bad.

The AT's go from 3.35's to 3.92 and gain .7 to 1.3 sec. in a 1/4, depending on other mods as well. That's huge! With a gear change of 20% over stock - that's awesome.

Where else can you get steady and reliable performance that doesn't beat the car up, at this rate for this money??? Nowhere....

Old 10-11-2005, 12:02 AM
All -

Sorry if it look slike I'm trying to sell the gears to you all - I'm really not. I just think that if you really want your cars to have that WOW and 1/4 times - you have to do this. It's the best money you'll spend. I'm not being paid to get you all to buy the gears - not comission - nothing - I just know how awesome of a change it really does make.

Old 10-11-2005, 10:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing to be concerned about. I take your post for what they are... ...first-hand experience. Isn't that what the Mode Review section is all about?

Thanks for the clarification on the tranny swap/warranty issue. My cruise-control could be an acceptable casualty to me. And with all the compliments I get on the OEM wheels (19" 05's), I think this swap has just cut in line in front of the Volks I want.

Old 10-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much does the install cost for the 3.9 final drive? Also, how much does the shimmy cost?

Old 10-11-2005, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
how much does the install cost for the 3.9 final drive? Also, how much does the shimmy cost?
Cost CAN BE - and I stress can be as every shop is likely to be different:

Typically - to setup a pumpkin with gears, shims and all - about $250. R&R the rear differential is about $350. You may need a few exhaust gaskets, as they will take apart the exhaust to get the diff out, some gear oil, etc.

If you order the assembled unit, your gauranteed a proper shim job and fit, and the price is about teh same, AND your car will down for much less time.

I like having the 'spare' diff I have now - just in case, etc. I had to purchase the diff and gears, as my car is an AT. I can always switch back and sell the 3.9 setup if I want - or if it ever breaks, I can be back up and running in a day.

Old 10-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Just thought I'd ask, as the question has been on my mind:

What's the reason that the cruise-control no longer operates after the gear swap?

And if you check back in, ISM, how about an update on the swap?

Old 10-20-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by GT-Ron
Just thought I'd ask, as the question has been on my mind:

What's the reason that the cruise-control no longer operates after the gear swap?

And if you check back in, ISM, how about an update on the swap?
Everything is great - no noise and all the performance. I love it!

The cruise control, if I'm not mistaken, takes it's reading form the transmission output shaft...and now that the speed vs. rotational RPM's have changed - it fubars....none that I know of YET to fix this...but working and researching it out thoroughly.

Old 10-20-2005, 02:16 PM
Thanks again for the great information. If you find a fix, be sure to spread the word.

One last question on the cruise-control: Does it simply turn itself off after you turn it on, or does it just refuse to turn on, etc...?

Old 10-20-2005, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by GT-Ron
Thanks again for the great information. If you find a fix, be sure to spread the word.

One last question on the cruise-control: Does it simply turn itself off after you turn it on, or does it just refuse to turn on, etc...?
Turn it on and the SET part just blinks and it disables it itself immediately. I have just turned it on after starting car and before moving and it looks OK - then you hit about 15MPH and it deactivates....

I emailed Brian at TS and there is nothing in the ECU that can help to govern it's working...so I'm still in the hunt for the details.

If I find the fix - I'll spread the word...and maybe an order form!

Old 10-21-2005, 10:15 AM
LOL!! Good idea.

Again, all of your help is greatly appreciated. I'll add to the review when I finally get the swap done. Talking to some people about installation today, which is the first step. Will probably talk to 350EVO as well and make sure there's not anything else (beyond the pre-assembled, complete pumpkin) that I'll need that I'm overlooking.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 5AT 3.5 final drive differential swap.