Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Review: Quaife Installed Now...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 12:39 AM
G Kreuzer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I'm making the assumption that the speedo was derived from the tranny. If that isn't the case, then I stand entirely corrected.

Edit: Just verified the sources. Indeed I've made the wrong assumption above. I'm terribly sorry for making such a grave mistake. Yikes!

Last edited by THX723; 07-17-2007 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:50 AM
G Kreuzer
Originally Posted by OH6 G35
So...changing the final gear ratio will "NOT" change the Speedo reading at all, correct ?
Where did you find this valuable info. ?? ...just curious to know.
Confused yet?

Do disregard my disregard.

Changing the final gear ratio will NOT change the speedo reading.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:46 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Quiafe has been ordered!!!! 3.692 is in stock and will be picked up this weekend!!! TS will be visited next week

I'm excited but apprehensive... wondering if I'll lose CC (I've read everything out there so I don’t need the "use the search" posts... it is not conclusive. Not many have done this exact config... in fact since jonnylaw is MT, it's quite possible I'm the only one... Andy from Perf Nissan went 3.7 (from a different vehicle, and isn’t using Quaife)… the other concern is whether or not there will be issues with my open diff and AT... from everything I've researched it should work – but might not.

Time will tell...

Old 07-19-2007, 01:02 AM
You did order the Quaife that is designed for the 6MT, correct?

I also hope you have a donor 6MT pumpkin available, or at least a TS knows how to do a complete rebuild. Its feasible, just not easy using a 3.3 pumpkin and installing 3.5/7/9 parts.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by helldorado
You did order the Quaife that is designed for the 6MT, correct?

I also hope you have a donor 6MT pumpkin available, or at least a TS knows how to do a complete rebuild. Its feasible, just not easy using a 3.3 pumpkin and installing 3.5/7/9 parts.
no I ordered part ending in 180 which is the AT - the 181 is MT... The ring and pinion gear I am getting is OEM for an AT Frontier, which I have been told utilizes the same pumpkin - so I'm hoping all will work. I did consider getting the MT version. What you mention is what my concern is... I'm not sure this will work as flawless as I am hoping. If I order 181 (MT Quaife) I know it will require finagling (pumpkin swap might be required) - If that happens I might return everything and go with a different mod I've been considering.

Fingers are crossed. This will either be a huge hooray!!! Or a total PITA! It won’t be the first time I've started something that gives me grief. I'm hoping it will be smooth sailing though.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Unfortunately, just because its from an AT Frontier doesn't have any bearing on the final drive.

All G's and Z's use the R200 pumpkin, only difference is if you have VLSD or not, its the R200 or R200V, and those differences are rather minor, the R200V has more clearance for the the VLSD. But, it has no bearing on the thickness of the ring gear. The 3.357 ring gear is 10 mm thicker than the 3.538 gear. The 3.538 is the same thickness as the 3.917, and I'm pretty sure the 3.692 is the same thickness as them as well. Which is why differentials designed for the 5AT are not interchangeable with those for the 6MT. Has nothing to do with the number of teeth. Just like new G's use the same 3.692 final drive, has no bearing if its 5AT or 6MT.

Fortunately, if this is the case for you, even if you can't return the diff, you should be able to find the 10 mm spacer kit. When the Quaife first came out, they had a production issue, they had initially produced them for the 3.357 by accident, so people with the 3.538 were able to use them with a 10mm spacer kit they provided. If Quaife still has those, that will help.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:41 PM
Unfortunately, just because its from an AT Frontier doesn't have any bearing on the final drive.

All G's and Z's use the R200 pumpkin, only difference is if you have VLSD or not, its the R200 or R200V, and those differences are rather minor, the R200V has more clearance for the the VLSD. But, it has no bearing on the thickness of the ring gear. The 3.357 ring gear is 10 mm thicker than the 3.538 gear. The 3.538 is the same thickness as the 3.917, and I'm pretty sure the 3.692 is the same thickness as them as well. Which is why differentials designed for the 5AT are not interchangeable with those for the 6MT. Has nothing to do with the number of teeth. Just like new G's use the same 3.692 final drive, has no bearing if its 5AT or 6MT.

Fortunately, if this is the case for you, even if you can't return the diff, you should be able to find the 10 mm spacer kit. When the Quaife first came out, they had a production issue, they had initially produced them for the 3.357 by accident, so people with the 3.538 were able to use them with a 10mm spacer kit they provided. If Quaife still has those, that will help.
Thanks for the info, I'll call the vendor and ask if they have the spacer kit...

Old 07-19-2007, 04:03 PM

Edit post... I spoke to Quaife America (now AutoTech) I guess the axle flanges don’t matter AT or MT with the Quaife (one of the benefits of course, not sure what I was thinking on first post that I am editing)... however, you have me concerned now about clearance... am I understanding that the housing itself is slightly bigger on the AT to accommodate the 10mm thicker 3.357?... I still need to verify that the 3.692 is in fact thinner than 3.357 but if in fact it is - even if I get the MT Quaife won't there still be an issue? I'm starting to wonder if it's even possible to do this in an AT? If in fact the size of the pumpkin is different.

As I understand it, AT Quaife is shorter than the MT correct? and this was to accommodate the 10mm difference... but if the 3.692 is the same thickness as the 3.5 & 3.9 (10mm thinner), I should be fine with the MT Quaife correct? Is there anything about the actual AT pumpkin that is going to present problems?

Last edited by OCG35; 07-19-2007 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:21 PM
another question... what weight gear oil should I be using with the Quaife and 3.7 gears?... same weight as OEM?...

Old 07-19-2007, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
Edit post... I spoke to Quaife America (now AutoTech) I guess the axle flanges don’t matter AT or MT with the Quaife (one of the benefits of course, not sure what I was thinking on first post that I am editing)... however, you have me concerned now about clearance... am I understanding that the housing itself is slightly bigger on the AT to accommodate the 10mm thicker 3.357?... I still need to verify that the 3.692 is in fact thinner than 3.357 but if in fact it is - even if I get the MT Quaife won't there still be an issue? I'm starting to wonder if it's even possible to do this in an AT? If in fact the size of the pumpkin is different.

As I understand it, AT Quaife is shorter than the MT correct? and this was to accommodate the 10mm difference... but if the 3.692 is the same thickness as the 3.5 & 3.9 (10mm thinner), I should be fine with the MT Quaife correct? Is there anything about the actual AT pumpkin that is going to present problems?
The axles stubs are the same regardless of what kind of gearing you have. The difference in axle stubs is if you have VLSD or an open diff. The quaife is designed to work with the equal length axles stubs of the open diff.

The ring gear thickness has no bearing on the internal clearance for the axle stubs, or the diff, or anything like that. If you compare a Quaife for the 5AT vs the 6MT, the 6MT version has a 10 mm thicker mounting flange compared to the 5AT version, because the 5AT ring gear is 10 mm thicker. If you try to use the 6MT Quaife with the 5AT, you end up with the gears not being correctly lined up, and all sorts of other issues. It shouldn't affect your clearance of other things.

another question... what weight gear oil should I be using with the Quaife and 3.7 gears?... same weight as OEM?...
I use the Silkolene Syntran.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmm.autotech stated that the quaife for the auto was discontinued, even though its part number is still listed, and the only unit available for purchase is the one for the m/t.

I have the quaife for m/t in hand, but am still waiting on the 3.7 gears (apparently 4.10 gear was sent to the dealer, instead of the 3.7--which has been ordered again)--the axel stubs (flanges) and other misc. parts for the swap are ready to be shipped for me.

I assume the 3.7 fg will be the same thickness as the 3.5/3.9 since the 3.7 is now used on the 07 g sedans?

Old 07-20-2007, 02:00 PM
The axles stubs are the same regardless of what kind of gearing you have. The difference in axle stubs is if you have VLSD or an open diff. The quaife is designed to work with the equal length axles stubs of the open diff.

The ring gear thickness has no bearing on the internal clearance for the axle stubs, or the diff, or anything like that. If you compare a Quaife for the 5AT vs the 6MT, the 6MT version has a 10 mm thicker mounting flange compared to the 5AT version, because the 5AT ring gear is 10 mm thicker. If you try to use the 6MT Quaife with the 5AT, you end up with the gears not being correctly lined up, and all sorts of other issues. It shouldn't affect your clearance of other things.

I use the Silkolene Syntran.
Damn it... Are you saying now that If I install MT Quaife in my AT it isn't going to work?... I have ordered the MT.

jonnylaw, AutoTech told me the same thing about AT not being available, however I am ordering through Unltrarev and they say AT IS avail (even though they are ordering through AutoTech.

helldorado - I'm AT open diff... I am installing 3.692 FD... should I be using Quife AT with spacer, or Quaife MT?

Old 07-21-2007, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by jonnylaw
hmmm.autotech stated that the quaife for the auto was discontinued, even though its part number is still listed, and the only unit available for purchase is the one for the m/t.

I have the quaife for m/t in hand, but am still waiting on the 3.7 gears (apparently 4.10 gear was sent to the dealer, instead of the 3.7--which has been ordered again)--the axel stubs (flanges) and other misc. parts for the swap are ready to be shipped for me.

I assume the 3.7 fg will be the same thickness as the 3.5/3.9 since the 3.7 is now used on the 07 g sedans?
I just spoke to Eddie... I'm ordering 3.692 from the same place as you - I told him since I live here, I'm taking the next one in

Kidding... they are on back-order, so I think both of ours will arrive around the same time. I would have had mine today except there was a major snafu that I am really unhappy about. I am not going to detail until I have a chance to talk with the manager on Mon... Let’s just say I’m far less than happy right now. I was planning on having ring and pinion today, Quaife by midweek and TS by end of week. That got phucked all to hell today.

Anyway... Funny how we are following almost the exact same path - and no I'm not following you - this has been on my list for quite a while, it's very unique though that the sources have been nearly identical.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just spoke to Eddie... I'm ordering 3.692 from the same place as you - I told him since I live here, I'm taking the next one in

Kidding... they are on back-order, so I think both of ours will arrive around the same time. I would have had mine today except there was a major snafu that I am really unhappy about. I am not going to detail until I have a chance to talk with the manager on Mon... Let’s just say I’m far less than happy right now. I was planning on having ring and pinion today, Quaife by midweek and TS by end of week. That got phucked all to hell today.

Anyway... Funny how we are following almost the exact same path - and no I'm not following you - this has been on my list for quite a while, it's very unique though that the sources have been nearly identical.
I believe the previous 3.7 ring and pinion has been "superseded" by another newr part number (from 07 sedan maybe )--=This might have a result of the delay or mixup--Not sure--Hope everything works for u--I hope I can get mine by the end of next week--we shall see. It would be a good reward after taking the*bar.

Nothing wrong with buying quality parts bro--U have good taste

Let me quote Einstein: "If I have seen farther, it is only because I have stood on the shoulders of giants".

Old 07-21-2007, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by jonnylaw
I believe the previous 3.7 ring and pinion has been "superseded" by another newr part number (from 07 sedan maybe )--=This might have a result of the delay or mixup--Not sure--Hope everything works for u--I hope I can get mine by the end of next week--we shall see. It would be a good reward after taking the*bar.

Nothing wrong with buying quality parts bro--U have good taste

Let me quote Einstein: "If I have seen farther, it is only because I have stood on the shoulders of giants".
Nice quote... I like to live by the George Washington's experience... Leadership is gained from wisdom, wisdom is gained from "experience", and experience is gained form failure... Take it another step further and learn from not only my own, but others... I guess it's pampas to call myself "wise" or a leader but I do research the hell out of what I do to the car and learned from helldorado… but I know of no other open diff AT that has done this...

the issue I ran into today was nothing more than not being provided exactly what was ordered... Details will tell why I'm miffed because it may or may not have caused problems in the next several steps to this process... Until I address it with a particular person I'm just leaving at I'm not on track with original plans - which pisses me off... If there is an explanation for what happened, I'll take the hit - if not, I'm very dissatisfied and will air the details...

I wonder whose rear-end will end up at TS first?...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Review: Quaife Installed Now...