Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Review: Quaife Installed Now...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
Damn it... Are you saying now that If I install MT Quaife in my AT it isn't going to work?... I have ordered the MT.

jonnylaw, AutoTech told me the same thing about AT not being available, however I am ordering through Unltrarev and they say AT IS avail (even though they are ordering through AutoTech.

helldorado - I'm AT open diff... I am installing 3.692 FD... should I be using Quife AT with spacer, or Quaife MT?
No, no, no, you'll be fine if you ordered the MT Quaife. I think you keep thinking about the actual pumpkin itself, not the ring gear that the diff gets attached to. Once you take out all your 3.3 ring, your AT pumpkin is not an AT pumpkin anymore.

3.7 gear and 6MT Quaife. That's what you needed.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by helldorado
No, no, no, you'll be fine if you ordered the MT Quaife. I think you keep thinking about the actual pumpkin itself, not the ring gear that the diff gets attached to. Once you take out all your 3.3 ring, your AT pumpkin is not an AT pumpkin anymore.

3.7 gear and 6MT Quaife. That's what you needed.
right on thanks... I thought I was on the right track - thanks for the confirmation...

Old 07-23-2007, 10:53 PM
received today

Old 07-29-2007, 03:11 AM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by OCG35
received today
Get it installed yet?

Old 07-31-2007, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by _jb
Get it installed yet?
not yet - was waiting on FD gears... thery are in today!!!!

Car goes to TS tomorrow - finally!

Old 08-02-2007, 12:17 AM
Thumbs up 3.7 FD & Quaife ATB Diff

3.7 & Quaife installed today! Thanks Technosqaure (Howard) for quick and (so far) flawless install! Thanks Performance Nissan (Eddie) for the great cust svc and getting the right parts (even had a crush spacer in stock when I needed one at last minute) and Thanks UltraRev for the smokin' deal and excellent cust svc... and finally thanks AutoTech (formally Quaife America) for the multiple answers to my questions - again excellent customer service.

First - my Cruise Control still works!!! That was a concern (even though I never use it) since most that have gone to 3.9 lost their CC

Granted, I've driven less than 50 miles so far - but they were very spirited miles So here’s a review based on first impressions…

The revs come fast! It really takes some getting use to because I'm now in a gear higher than I'm accustom to... street driving I previously stayed in 3rd often (MM AT) now that same speed and rmp has me in 4th... 0-60 is indeed quicker! Wasn't certain at first how much difference it made, but after some spirited stop & go driving it's apparent the gears give zip!

Freeway speeds - with 3.3FD my rmp were 3K at 82mph (approx 2800-2900 at 80)... now its 3300-3400 at 80, 3K rmp is 74mph. Yes mpg will suffer, but I rarely drive the car so I'm not concerned. Acceleration in 5th gear is much more instant - in cases where I previous would down shift to 4th I can now get to speed in 5th (dropping to 4th is still fun and is quicker now).

Quaife: hmmm... I definitely more time with the car to evaluate the Quaife... I normally push the car in a straight line - so characteristics in twisties and frequent aggressive 90 degree turns is going to take more time... what I have noticed is with VDC on - during very spirited sharp corners (as in intersection turns) the VDC does kick in... however, it's much less obtrusive than when I had open diff... now the light comes on but the car doesn’t throw a tizzy fit like it would before. I barely notice VDC kicks in actually (as it is very brief). With VDC off - the tires do squeal a bit, but immediately hook up & go. The cost benefit is still in the air for me. But with more "hard runs" I will have a better feel and I'm inclined to think I will grow to like it more (not that I don’t like it, I just need more time).

This entire "review/evaluation" is admittedly a little pre-mature because I really haven’t driven much since the install - but I don’t drive the G daily anymore so it is going to take quite a while before I really have good impressions... so far I am please.

When I get the car to the track I will know for certain if this was the right choice (for me). I believe it will do well in the 1/8th - but I'm not sure yet if I can still run 1/4 and cross the finish line in 3rd gear. Rev limiter has been bumped by TS reflash so I'm hopeful... That will be the real test for me!

All in all, I would recommend 3.7 if you like quick acceleration and not too concerned with top end (or gas mileage) the fact that cruise control works is nice! So far I would say Quaife is a good choice if you don’t mind the expense and have maxed out most power mod options. My opinion of the Quaife may become entirely different after driving a bit more - and I suspect MT would absolutely have a good time with it (simply based on driving techniques while cornering in an MT vs AT)... Why did I get it? Because I'm working on some things to allow a high rmp launch at the drag strip - and I think Quaife will benefit when I have everything tied in.

So that's my initial review... I hope someone finds it useful

Old 08-02-2007, 09:00 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Great Evaluation !!
Hopefully you can update us in the future, when you get more miles in...

...thanks !

Old 08-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by OH6 G35
Great Evaluation !!
Hopefully you can update us in the future, when you get more miles in...

...thanks !
drove it to work today (couldn't resist)... I usually drive company vehicle - I'm liking the 3.7 more and more!!! I will give follow-up update after tracking the car and getting more miles...

Old 08-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Anyone with a TT and Quaife? Rookie?

I'm looking to drop the Quaife into a R200 open diff from a Pathfinder that has a 3.133 ratio... (I have an upgraded, high stall torque converter, and near 500 to the wheel, so I don't expect launching will be an issue)

Other question is why does Quaife have different part numbers for MT vs AT. It should be the same, no?

Old 08-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by rcdash
Other question is why does Quaife have different part numbers for MT vs AT. It should be the same, no?
No. The ring gear for the 3.357 and 3.538 are two different sizes. I went over this up above.

I'm looking to drop the Quaife into a R200 open diff from a Pathfinder that has a 3.133 ratio... (I have an upgraded, high stall torque converter, and near 500 to the wheel, so I don't expect launching will be an issue)
I'd suggest first seeing if you can mate the diff to the axles and driveshaft on the G first. Then having whoever is doing the install do a quick inspection to see what the sizing and offset of the internal components are. Doing a straight swap might not work.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Anyone with a TT and Quaife? Rookie?

MT part number ends with 181 and AT ends 180... I don't believe Quaife America (AutoTech) carries 180 anymore, even though some dealers/vendors still have it on their order list.

Helldorado, since he wants to go taller gears the gear is probably thicker like the 3.3 right? which means the MT Quaife will be an issue..?

Old 08-03-2007, 01:58 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Good to see you like the upgrades so far Mike.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how you do in the track, and how you perform against an all NA 05 6MT (Wally).

Too bad you really won't be able to see how the whole 3rd gear pulls on other G's until we get to California Speedway...

Old 08-03-2007, 03:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would just like to share my impression w/ the quaife ATB and 3.7 fg installed to my G to add to OC's comments.

First off, I would also like to thank performance nissan (mynismo.com)--especially Eddie and Andy, Technosquare, Autotech, and Fields Infiniti (Especially Eric and Anibal).

1. If you decide to go w/ the Quaife ATB, buy it from Autotech or Ultrarev (OC was able save quite a bit of money w/ a coupon code and 5% discount from ultrarev). IF you decide to buy and ring and pinion final gear set (other than the central 20 3.9), I recommend purchasing from mynismo.com--they have nismo 3.9, and a variety of nissan ring and pinion (including the 3.7 fg which OC and I got--whcich I believe is now pulled from a m35x). Also, they can get you all the required/recommended rebuild parts in a short time.

2. Regarding install, unless you know the G/Z inside and out, it is an absolute must that you have a qualified tech do the rebuild. Many shops may claim that they can do the rebuild, but how many of those shops can you trust to do a good job w/ correct shims, ensuring proper installation and no gear whine?

SO-do yourself a favor and only take your car/ship your pumpkin only to a reputable gear shop that is experienced w/ rebuilding nissan diff's, tranny's, etc. I may be biased, but off the to top of my head, honestly I would only trust the rebuild w/ two shops nationwide and those are:

a. TECHNOSQUARE (Did a perfect job on my rebuild, has loads of shims in stock, experienced techs, and very professional). Plust their rates are very reasonable and their turnaround time is exceptional. Plus I love japanese people

b. SHARIFF @ FORGED (you all know the quality of his work and I would have felt just as comfortable sending my stuff to him for the rebuild).

--If you don't live anywhere near these two shops (like me who lives in the midwest)--I would recommend taking your pumpkin off and shipping it, along w/ the LSD/FG set/rebuilt parts, to the respective shop--Yea overnighting the stuff costed an arm and a leg, but the peace of mind and the final flawless work was well worth it.

3. Review (initialy-only have driven bout 70 miles so far):
a. Nissan ring and pinion 3.7 FG: See my sig for my mods. Also, I am driving a m/t. Honestly, considering I already started w/ 3.5 fg and have been drving around w/ a clutch/flywheel setup that is half the weight of stock, I did not find the difference in acceleration to be mind blowing. BUT, It does compliment the lightwheel flywheel really well now The rev's climp up all the way up smooth and linear now w/out any fuss.

The change in revs doesn't seem to be that extreme for me, but every gear does have a lil more kick. I'm at 3200-3300 at 80 mph. Cruise control works flawlessly in varoius speeds. I've already got crappy mpg, so I've not even going to comment on that, but I don't think it'll be that much worse since I find myself shifting a little bit more often and earlier than before. Really, I would have probably been ok w/ the 3.9 fg. But, I'm not kicking myself for not getting the 3.9. The 3.7 suits me fine, but I believe 3.9 is still streetable for 6 m/t and I almost wish I would have had an opportunity to experience the 3.9 before purchasing the 3.7--Bottom line is, overall, I'm happy w/ the 3.7--It puts the revs in the sweet spot faster and really compiments a lightwight well--It's a good "compromise" for N/A G/Z's, that want a little more kick, but do a good amount of highway driving or otherwise have issues w/ the increased rpms and accompany engine/wxhaust "noise" ( I call it music!)

In comparison, I had been driving a 2007 g35x sedan, which I beleve also uses the 3.7 fg) for a few days while the rebuild was being done, my car accelerates faster and sounds a hell of a lot better doing it--but in all fairness, the dealership car was stock and my G is definetly not stock. Anyways, on to the Quaife ATB...

b. Quaife ATB--Unless you primarily drift your car (in which case a clutch type LSD like nismo, cusco, or tomei would be a better choice) IMO, the Quaife ATB, hands down is the best LSD out there for the G/Z, especially if your car is a daily driver, weekend tracker. First off, there is absolutely no noise whatsoever whyen cornering at small speeds or whenever. The worm gears in a geart type LSD like the Quaife, apparently don't have the assocaited noise and intrusiveness like some clutch pack type LSDs are know to have.

I like the way the ATB performs as well so far. Before w/ the oem vlsd the car has some traction issues sometimes when launching straight and the rpms would kinda bounce their way to redline--it wasn't always smooth. Now, this is totally eliminated! The car takes off w/out hesitation and is smooth to TS reflased redline.

W/ the oem vlsd, even when making a turn at a relatively "slow" speed, the vdc would kick in and hamper accelerating out of the corner. Now, w/ the ATB, this also is totally eliminatated! I'm redlining almost right after coming out of the turn now w/ practice--I finally feel a little less restricted by the VDC now when it is not switched off, as it doesn't come on as much.

But as OC said, the VDC definelty comes on briefly when making medium to fast turns--but now, this "interruption" is not as severe as it was stock and it still allows for accelerating out of the turn at a higher rpm and speed,.

Honestly, w/ all the breathing mods and the noises coming from my OS Giken STR, I probably wouldn't really notice any extra noises anyway, but the ATB operates w/out added noise or brief moments of hard lockup. The ATB isn't intrusive at all, and IMO its a shame nissan/infiniti didn't put a gear type LSD in their 6 mt and sport packages, as opposed to the vlsd. Many car companies have used the Quaife ATB as oem part--the r.i.p. dodge srt-4 is one that comes to mind.

For those that are floored by the the $1495 price tag and the required flanges additionaly required for those that are 6 m/t ($120 each)--rememebr you can save a bit w/ coupon code, and the ATB has a LIFETIME warranty--whether you street or race the car.

Again, I am pleased w/ the rebuild and I hope my initital thoughts help

Last edited by jonnylaw; 08-03-2007 at 03:19 AM.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:42 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Well shoot it appears that for the 3.357 ring gear, there are no longer options for an aftermarket LSD? I wanted either ATS/carbonetics carbon LSD or the quaife. Tell me it ain't so