Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who's the Pink Guy??? LOL

Old 03-15-2006, 05:13 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RebelinRI
Who's the Pink Guy??? LOL
Cute little 'gaffers' aren't they.... Not sure who the pink guy is, but it's nice to see them hugging and smiling......
C.

Old 04-03-2006, 10:01 PM
SDG
Cool

I'm an electrical engineer and I don't understand the advantage. But I'm not a grease monkey so I'm not claiming to be an expert by any means but I do posess a fair amount of electrical knowledge. The components that hook up to the ground wires are for the most part bolted to the frame and already grounded to the chassis which is the same place the ground "hub" gets bolted. The chassis ground of the car can't get any "grounder" than it already is. In other words the ground wires are redundant at best, and that's assuming a good contact point between all the components.

I would like to see some measurements at any of the ground points vary with OR without a ground kit installed. I'd like to see two measurments taken ANYWHERE on the chassis that vary. If the transmission shifts better/faster there will be a measurable difference somewhere and it's unlikely that manufacturers of grounding kits wouldn't gather and publish that data if it existed. Oh and whoever said, "Where's your evidence to say it doesn't work?" Besides the fact that you can't prove a negative, the evidence is the complete lack of positive data by an industry that thrives on it. I spoke with my uncle (motorhead, racecar type) to discuss grounding kits and he said they are useful for heavily modded cars especially older cars where they build from scratch because there isn't always a good ground system in place or rust/corrosion on the frame, fiberglass parts etc. He said in his opinion that for new cars they are worthless.

So for me I'm very tempted since I own a 5AT coupe and this is a cheap mod, but I will hold off until there is some factual data that shows an improvement! For those that have the mod and can 'feel' the difference...ok I believe you, now prove it!

Old 04-04-2006, 03:51 AM
Originally Posted by SDG
I'm an electrical engineer and I don't understand the advantage. But I'm not a grease monkey so I'm not claiming to be an expert by any means but I do posess a fair amount of electrical knowledge. The components that hook up to the ground wires are for the most part bolted to the frame and already grounded to the chassis which is the same place the ground "hub" gets bolted. The chassis ground of the car can't get any "grounder" than it already is. In other words the ground wires are redundant at best, and that's assuming a good contact point between all the components.

I would like to see some measurements at any of the ground points vary with OR without a ground kit installed. I'd like to see two measurments taken ANYWHERE on the chassis that vary. If the transmission shifts better/faster there will be a measurable difference somewhere and it's unlikely that manufacturers of grounding kits wouldn't gather and publish that data if it existed. Oh and whoever said, "Where's your evidence to say it doesn't work?" Besides the fact that you can't prove a negative, the evidence is the complete lack of positive data by an industry that thrives on it. I spoke with my uncle (motorhead, racecar type) to discuss grounding kits and he said they are useful for heavily modded cars especially older cars where they build from scratch because there isn't always a good ground system in place or rust/corrosion on the frame, fiberglass parts etc. He said in his opinion that for new cars they are worthless.

So for me I'm very tempted since I own a 5AT coupe and this is a cheap mod, but I will hold off until there is some factual data that shows an improvement! For those that have the mod and can 'feel' the difference...ok I believe you, now prove it!
What, people who have paid money for them swearing that they work doesn't qualify as evidence?

Old 09-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, this thread died out with the conclusion that most folks who installed Gordgee system on a 5AT G35 found some improvement.
I was about to suggest MechEE try it himself, but since he has a 6MT results are likely to be negative (or neutral?).
As a retired test engineer, I found it to work fine on my 5AT.. noticeable improvements. Each one subtle, but collectively idle is smoother, shifting fractionally faster and noticeably smoother. I suspect it would be similar if I was not retired

BTW, worked for a major aerospace company that spent a lot of money for a grounding expert to do analysis on grounding schemes for automated test equipment. This was not a isolated problem restricted to only our company. But a discipline that escaped most of us engineering types and conventional reasoning.
Possible some of the same principles could apply, especially with sophisticated control electronics running at small voltages, and parasitics voltages running throughout the car could certainly result in a scenario that might well be affected by grounding integrity. Just saying it is hardly beyond a possibility, but certainly not conclusive without a thorough analysis. I digress.....

Last edited by fortified; 09-03-2006 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:30 PM
The Number One Problem With All Ecms And Controlle Modules {foriegn And Domestic} Is Insufficient Grounding . Ford / Mopar And Gm Had This Problems Since Electronic Ign First Came Out. Grounding Kits Seem Hokey But,, They Do Serve A Need To Help The Multitude Of Electronic Sensors And Computers Stay Grounded..

Old 09-08-2006, 04:46 PM
I was very skeptical about these but I wanted to see what the fuss was about. I got the 6MT 8 wire kit to try out for my Coupe.

Just as I thought, no difference. I was going to take them off but I figured that since they don't hurt the car I just left them on. I guess they are an engine dress up mod for me. I think my radio sounds a little better... lol.

Old 09-08-2006, 05:14 PM
The Number One Problem With All Ecms And Controlle Modules {foriegn And Domestic} Is Insufficient Grounding . Ford / Mopar And Gm Had This Problems Since Electronic Ign First Came Out. Grounding Kits Seem Hokey But,, They Do Serve A Need To Help The Multitude Of Electronic Sensors And Computers Stay Grounded..

Old 09-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by OU812G350
I doubt grounding a major consideration for most of us, until you get to a more sophisticated performance vehicle and are squeezing out every last drop. Let's face it, unless you are having very specific problems you really don't think about grounding in a family car.

I would have to see many conclusive dyno results to believe better grounding will give me more power. But making electronics run more effectively is not beyond reason.

At the same, it's easy to say vendors are taking advantage of us, since we are tweaky about our G's. But as far as I know any of these can be returned for a refund if they don't do as promised. Most of us with automatics say there is some improvement. Maybe there is, or we suffer from mass illusion.

Last edited by fortified; 09-10-2006 at 01:59 PM.