Old 05-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
My guy did this HPF M3. He has the matte black down pretty well

Old 05-03-2011, 03:08 PM
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Tian
Like samples?
Either samples or a site that shows pictures of the paint on the car, etc. Like House of Kolor has their gallery, but they dont have the flat i want.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Hold The Line

He's done quite a great amount of work but the site doesn't seem updated.\

http://optbs.com/Home_Page.html

Old 05-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, really? Sounds good. And no worries, regardless, as I suspect I will be more leaning towards matte-blacking the Z more than the G............to kinda go with the "glorified" - circa 70s - vinyl top look. Personally, not really into drop-tops unless I can make it very unique and they must properly mimic coupe shape, like with Porsche 911s. The 370 roadster, unlike the Boxster-like 350 seems to do that much better.

That said, I would likely be asking you for a paint shop reference, though I do have someone in Broward - Ram & Sons - in mind. They do good work, but if work performance is equal, I'd take the savings (assuming it's hundreds) and put toward what else? More mods!!

Anyway, dude, while great car mod minds think alike, I'd argue that we cherish creativity and don't wanna look exactly alike........but I digress. I'll keep an eye out for the Tower Shoppes meet. One last thing to verify, if you could - the difference between flat & matte blacks. Is the following accurate?

1) As far as I know, the are VERY close. Flat is well, flat. Matte is just a little less flat. But not quite a semi gloss. (from Ferrari forum)

and

2) They are pretty similar but i believe the matte has a slightly glossier finnish... almost too slight to tell... (from a Tacoma forum):

flat ---> matte ---> satin ---> semi-gloss ---> gloss

They're frickin' confusing me man!! Dammit.

Get me straight. Thanks.

Originally Posted by VEN0M
Thank you for the kind words friend. Although I will have to rain on your parade. I will be doing a flat matte black paint job in the somewhat near future. It all depends on a few things, but that will be my coup de gras.

We are having a towers meet soon and I will be attending. You can definitely see it there.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by Tian
My guy did this HPF M3. He has the matte black down pretty well

That color seems ot be the perfect match for me. Id like to see a close up if i ever could. Thing is your guy is in WPB, way too far for me. About a 2hr drive. Way too far for me. Especially to drive fresh paint back. Pero gracias man. Your are a G among G's (pun intended).

Originally Posted by Bozo954
Oh, really? Sounds good. And no worries, regardless, as I suspect I will be more leaning towards matte-blacking the Z more than the G............to kinda go with the "glorified" - circa 70s - vinyl top look. Personally, not really into drop-tops unless I can make it very unique and they must properly mimic coupe shape, like with Porsche 911s. The 370 roadster, unlike the Boxster-like 350 seems to do that much better.

That said, I would likely be asking you for a paint shop reference, though I do have someone in Broward - Ram & Sons - in mind. They do good work, but if work performance is equal, I'd take the savings (assuming it's hundreds) and put toward what else? More mods!!

Anyway, dude, while great car mod minds think alike, I'd argue that we cherish creativity and don't wanna look exactly alike........but I digress. I'll keep an eye out for the Tower Shoppes meet. One last thing to verify, if you could - the difference between flat & matte blacks. Is the following accurate?

1) As far as I know, the are VERY close. Flat is well, flat. Matte is just a little less flat. But not quite a semi gloss. (from Ferrari forum)

and

2) They are pretty similar but i believe the matte has a slightly glossier finnish... almost too slight to tell... (from a Tacoma forum):

flat ---> matte ---> satin ---> semi-gloss ---> gloss

They're frickin' confusing me man!! Dammit.

Get me straight. Thanks.

The question of difference between flat and matte and the other colors all depends on the sheen. Sheen is basically the level of light reflection there is. For example, gloss would be about a 80-90% sheen, reflecting almost everything. My wheels are about 50-60% sheen. They dont reflect that much. What i am aiming for is 15-25% sheen, if not lower.

Now as far as the difference between the two, that i cant really say.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Holy ****. I just noticed. That guy is rocking my wheels! ROFL

Old 05-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Hold The Line

^Yeah Lol! No worries. I know it's a bit far from you.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, amigo! I think I got it.........it's about the sheen. And based on the same principle it relates well to window tint percentages. Whether you get 5% - 20% - 35% tint (limo - you can get away with it - legal), it all refers to what percentage of light is allowed to travel thru the tint.

With the paint, of course, it's about the opposite - light reflection. Most importantly, with 20% tint all-around my G/limo in the front visor, your 15-25% target seems to be right on for my tastes also.

So, I appreciate you sharing the knowledge. When the time comes I shall look for paint samples in the 20s or lower. I mean, how much gloss can a true flat-blacker want?............is the question. Shouldn't be much.

In closing, however, I make one slight correction. True, I may have just did a bit of an editorial of what you posted. But, not only do I say you know the difference, you just broke it down scientifically, thereby allowing me to offer a slightly different take.

Adios, brother. I'll be seeing you around; keep up the good work. Needless to say, if you see me in the street? HOLLLLA!!

('Fore you go wide open throttle and embarrass me, a lowly 280 HP stocker - possibly in front a female companion - with that Stillen Stage 2 and Catback setup. Naw; I wouldn't be mad atcha. You installed it. Use it! I would. )

He gone!

That color seems ot be the perfect match for me. Id like to see a close up if i ever could. Thing is your guy is in WPB, way too far for me. About a 2hr drive. Way too far for me. Especially to drive fresh paint back. Pero gracias man. Your are a G among G's (pun intended).

The question of difference between flat and matte and the other colors all depends on the sheen. Sheen is basically the level of light reflection there is. For example, gloss would be about a 80-90% sheen, reflecting almost everything. My wheels are about 50-60% sheen. They dont reflect that much. What i am aiming for is 15-25% sheen, if not lower.

Now as far as the difference between the two, that i cant really say.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by Bozo954
Thanks, amigo! I think I got it.........it's about the sheen. And based on the same principle it relates well to window tint percentages. Whether you get 5% - 20% - 35% tint (limo - you can get away with it - legal), it all refers to what percentage of light is allowed to travel thru the tint.

With the paint, of course, it's about the opposite - light reflection. Most importantly, with 20% tint all-around my G/limo in the front visor, your 15-25% target seems to be right on for my tastes also.

So, I appreciate you sharing the knowledge. When the time comes I shall look for paint samples in the 20s or lower. I mean, how much gloss can a true flat-blacker want?............is the question. Shouldn't be much.

In closing, however, I make one slight correction. True, I may have just did a bit of an editorial of what you posted. But, not only do I say you know the difference, you just broke it down scientifically, thereby allowing me to offer a slightly different take.

Adios, brother. I'll be seeing you around; keep up the good work. Needless to say, if you see me in the street? HOLLLLA!!

('Fore you go wide open throttle and embarrass me, a lowly 280 HP stocker - possibly in front a female companion - with that Stillen Stage 2 and Catback setup. Naw; I wouldn't be mad atcha. You installed it. Use it! I would. )

He gone!

Dont take my info as pure facts. The sheen applies mostly to the level of "flatness" to the color. It doesnt affect the color directly.

For example:

Take a look at this truck

Now look at this Ferrari

In terms of sheen, the truck has less of a shine than the Ferrari. however, compare the color contrast and you will see that the Ferrari is more "black" per se, than the truck. The truck is almost looking grey.

The color of the truck is what i am avoiding. I do not like that color. It is played out, and doesnt match my theme. I am looking for the combination of the trucks level of sheen, with the color of the Ferrari (basically what Tian posted on that M3). That is my ultimate goal.

This information i learned by talking to my powder coating guy as well as Wikipedia (believe it or not).

You will definitely see me out in the streets my man. I hope to see you around

Old 05-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts
I feel like I would take the Ferrari over the Truck...for some reason.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ya me too, i like the Ferraris black color better than the trucks.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Getting it examined now to see if the paint is salvageable.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:13 PM
Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts
Getting it examined now to see if the paint is salvageable.
gl

Old 05-04-2011, 09:18 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
Carlos, if you are wanting a flat paint job let me know. I just did a G a couple months ago.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VEN0M's G35: Progress Page