DYNO DAY @ CHURCH'S Sept 25th

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 08:30 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by KingCobra
I wonder if my bad cats had something to do with my low numbers....they were throwing a light before i swapped them for the test pipes but now that theyre back on they werent throwing a light anymore...weird...

My torque curve does look nice and flat thru the whole powerband tho and the max torque comes on very low at around 2500rpm...

Can't wait to swap out the cats and dyno again, would love to see the increase every mod makes on my car...if we had more of these dyno days that would be perfect!
bad cats will definitely affect power... but usually you will hear them by the time the break up to the point of impeding flow...

if you have a CEL (and the code is O2 sensor - presumably is since you referenced it as being cat related), it could be precursor to failing cat (often the heating element goes bad and throws a code) - cats could be getting too hot and the filter media might begin to break apart... if you start hearing a rattle under the car, replace soon.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by SDGenius
i might be going cams, they'll be mild(prob JWT s2) for lack of early 03 tuning options though. although i MAY have found a tuning option, as long as they'll actually help me, LOL
Originally Posted by butkiss1
Cams is a must for me too I'll go Nismo
not to discourage you guys - but cams are not worth the expense (not even a little bit)... without doing a full build (which gets pretty expensive)...

when I did cams & headers - no one (that I know of) did it without a full build... I wanted to see what kind of gains could be had (since there was nothing on any forum at the time)...

Knowing what I know now - I wouldn't do it. However, back then the mod bug was deeply rooted so I was spending money on the car (even when there was a chance it was a waste - in fact, even when I KNEW it was a waste)... now I spend it on arsenal (my new money waster - err, I mean mod hobby)

So, since I know you guys are still fully addicted and the mod bug isnt bored with you yet... maybe go for it (just dont get your expectations too high - its about the worse $ per hp mod there is).

Just think of the killer AR you could built with that money (hell, two or three of 'em!)

Old 09-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by bluedevils95
Would this be a yearly event?
we've done several - not necessarily annually... they are always pretty good...

I will say; Shawn and I discussed some ideas for a future event... I'm not going to disclose details yet - but coincidentally it might also involve a track (as well as dyno) a mini meet/show - and.... gambling <--- not racing for money

Stay tuned

sorry for the multi posts guys... I was in jury duty all day - so just trying to catch up...

The following 2 users liked this post by OCG35:
butkiss1 (09-26-2011), SDGenius (09-26-2011)
Old 09-27-2011, 12:19 AM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
Sounds good!

Old 09-27-2011, 12:52 AM
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Sounds really good. Im definately in.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:10 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
bad cats will definitely affect power... but usually you will hear them by the time the break up to the point of impeding flow...

if you have a CEL (and the code is O2 sensor - presumably is since you referenced it as being cat related), it could be precursor to failing cat (often the heating element goes bad and throws a code) - cats could be getting too hot and the filter media might begin to break apart... if you start hearing a rattle under the car, replace soon.
Thanks! That's good to know, i do hear a minor rattle sometimes....the weird part is that I had the cats problem CEL (forget the actual code) on before i swapped them for the test pipes but when I put them back on, the CEL hasn't come back on...weird...

I should be replacing them soon tho, so hopefully we have another dyno sometime soon!

Old 09-27-2011, 03:53 AM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
while I'm still trying to comprehend what had happened to me at the Dyno day, I want to thank Shawn and Mike for setting up this event... It was small money for BIG gratification for knowing something more about my car; a truly rewarding experience - yes like prize-winning rewarding!! And it was nice hanging out with everyone there, it was a meet with performance as the common topic, and I'm so glad I participated, definitely the coolest event ever!

The following users liked this post:
CandlestickPark (09-27-2011)
Old 09-27-2011, 08:21 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Ray it was definitely cool to meet you. In some ways I'm jealous of your enthusiasm, even though my car has come a long way from stock. It gives me goosebumps to see someone that's relatively new to the G scene so excited and hungry for as much knowledge as they can absorb.

I think the free tune ended up in the right hands fo sho! (Peter, I had really hoped you won the other one. )

The following users liked this post:
ray1370 (09-29-2011)
Old 09-27-2011, 05:17 PM
Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts
Thumbs up

ello Driving Enthusiast, Can't wait until our next event on Sunday, Dec. 11th at Buttonwillow Raceway? Then come out to a Buttonwillow Open Test day on Friday, Oct. 14th. This is an event where the track itself opens their doors to anyone wanting to drive on the track. This in NOT a Max Grip event but simply Max Grip staff and friends will be attending to have some fun on the track. The cost is $200 for full day 8am to 5pm and $110 for half day but they do afternoon half day only meaning from 1pm to 5pm and you pay the track directly. Additional information about the track can be found at: www.ButtonwillowRaceway.com If you are interested in joining us, we will be meeting at 5:30 am and leaving at 5:50 sharp at: Bob's Big Boy 8274 Sunland Boulevard Los Angeles, CA 91352 It is about a 2 hour drive from there to the track. Hope t
o see you

Sounds good. Ima gonna start a thread on it today

Old 09-27-2011, 06:04 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Silencer_0
Randy's injectors were maxing out (stock injectors), so Shawn didn't want to push it past 5k RPM.
then I might be better with 660cc injectors?
Just not too much out there on testing these with our vortechs

Old 09-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
Law I was reading over on My350 that people running better w/cats & Vortech. someone had the MD XYZ and swapped the cat module in and out and did a back-to-back dyno.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Lawrence@StrafeAutomotive
then I might be better with 660cc injectors?
Just not too much out there on testing these with our vortechs
Theoretically you'll have more potential to push the car without it running lean, but it doesn't necessarily mean that you will make more power.

Originally Posted by SDGenius
Law I was reading over on My350 that people running better w/cats & Vortech. someone had the MD XYZ and swapped the cat module in and out and did a back-to-back dyno.
Tony and I were talking about that recently, the only problem is, cats in an FI application will clog up fast. But Tony's working on that .

Old 09-27-2011, 07:12 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
nice info Fab, thanks for chiming in

Old 09-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
that is very good info. I need to learn more if i am going to do this to my G.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SE5spd
Don't worry about what's done to my car. I'm here to try and find out some info about this drag race (cause it was done at a drag strip, right?) however I am saying you guys should come to a road course, especially you since your car is 100% functional?
I'd be more than happy to place a little wager on a road course.

How about WSIR? I'll be there 10/9. Lets see how much power your car really has

I'm sure you put down more than I do.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DYNO DAY @ CHURCH'S Sept 25th