04/22, Track Event @ Spring Mountain

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2006 | 09:14 PM
Devil's Advocate
I have ridden with Mike on the radical loop, but I haven't run it myself yet. It's definitely got some challenges but it's way fun at the same time.

Old 02-14-2006 | 01:33 AM
Damn that looks like a fun track. That R6 drop you are talking about can't be worse than the cork screw in LS. LOL! Who the hell cares all I can say is bring it on. 3.8 miles and 18 turns that has overheating brakes written all over it. I just got my Motul brake fluid and hawk hp+ pads will be coming soon. I hope to get a better lap time this time around since I know what to expect. I can't say it's easy but I will sure heck try. Wanna be like Clint with his Gkruzer blistering the track. LOL!

Old 02-14-2006 | 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by THX723
Johnathan,
No laughings buddy ... unless your name is beanie!
It'll be a total blast!
WTF? *makes note to throw snowballs at you this weekend*

Old 02-14-2006 | 04:39 PM
|
G Kreuzer
Originally Posted by glennp_1999
Damn that looks like a fun track. That R6 drop you are talking about can't be worse than the cork screw in LS. LOL! Who the hell cares all I can say is bring it on. 3.8 miles and 18 turns that has overheating brakes written all over it. I just got my Motul brake fluid and hawk hp+ pads will be coming soon. I hope to get a better lap time this time around since I know what to expect. I can't say it's easy but I will sure heck try. Wanna be like Clint with his Gkruzer blistering the track. LOL!
Haha ... Glenn's bitten by the tracking bug HARD! I love it!

Originally Posted by beanie
WTF? *makes note to throw snowballs at you this weekend*
You'll have to catch me first. *meep meep*

Old 02-14-2006 | 10:37 PM
|
G Kreuzer
Alrighty folks ... just spoke with Aaron @ Speedventures. Information for Spring Mountain is finally available and open for registration:

http://www.speedventures.net/4-22-2006_event.asp.

Cost: $190 + FREE Timing device + FREE Lunch
Specating/Rides: FREE ... as always.

You need not register now, but please do so as soon as you're able to. It's not uncommon to have Saturday slots filled out for a TWO day event like this one. Feel free to ask any questions. We still need to figure where you should all lodge at.

The 3.8-mile track config will look like the follwing ... and approx. 23/24 turns.

Attached Thumbnails 04/22, Track Event @ Spring Mountain-spring_moutain_long.jpg  
Old 02-14-2006 | 11:57 PM
GP1
Clint for rooms try Saddlewest (under $50)or Pahrump Nugget (a little over $50.00). Both are reasonable priced. There's also a Best Western that runs about $90 a night. Saddlewest has a good buffet too.

You guys are gonna love this track. I've never been out in a car, but this is my favorite track for bikes. We dont do the 3.8 mile track. Just the older section that's only about 2 miles. I'd like to experience 16, 17, 18 in a car. I know on a bike it can get pretty damn scary.
I'd like to go. Gotta see about getting tires, brakes. What tires (reasonably priced) would you all suggest?

Old 02-15-2006 | 01:56 AM
|
G Kreuzer
Thanks for the suggestion Gerry. We'll definitely look into those. This is one of the 'distant' tracks that I've yet been on before. The overall layout reminds me of a hybrid of Streets of Willow + Buttonwillow. The radical section appears pretty tight to me.

For tires, it's always a compromise between performance and cost. Speaking street compound only here ... if you want the most performance and the highest cost, look no further than the top dogs like the Bridgestone S03, Michelin Pilot Sport 2, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, BFGoodrich Comp T/A KD.

If you're looking to save some bux, I like the Dunlop SP9000.

Last edited by THX723; 02-15-2006 at 02:00 AM.
Old 02-15-2006 | 02:04 AM
Originally Posted by GP1
Clint for rooms try Saddlewest (under $50)or Pahrump Nugget (a little over $50.00). Both are reasonable priced. There's also a Best Western that runs about $90 a night. Saddlewest has a good buffet too.

You guys are gonna love this track. I've never been out in a car, but this is my favorite track for bikes. We dont do the 3.8 mile track. Just the older section that's only about 2 miles. I'd like to experience 16, 17, 18 in a car. I know on a bike it can get pretty damn scary.
I'd like to go. Gotta see about getting tires, brakes. What tires (reasonably priced) would you all suggest?
Gerry for tires I suggest you get the Dunlop Direzza very reasonably price at Tirerack. Ray had a good run with these tires at Laguna Seca. I think those tires are better than the SP9000's that I got. For brakes get the Hawk HP+ and Motul RBF600 for brake fluid. Remember to stiffen up your sways before going trust me on this one.

Clint $190 is a bargain compared to LS. As long as the rooms are clean like the Comfort Inn in Salinas then it should be cool. 3.8 miles and 23 turns...DAMN! I'll start polishing my helmet.

Old 02-15-2006 | 02:21 AM
|
G Kreuzer
Gerry,
Oh yes, I forgot to answer the brake portion of your question ... but yes, go with what Glenn is recommending (that is what I recommended him). The Direzza is a class lower than the SP9000 (still one of Dunlop's current flagship model). However, you do save even more $$$ by going with the Direzza. That's reason enough to go with for cheap thrills!

Glenn,
Not sure how clean those room will be, but Comfort Inn at Salinas was very decent!

Last edited by THX723; 02-15-2006 at 02:24 AM.
Old 02-15-2006 | 04:18 AM
Hey Clint, can we go and just watch? Not sure if I got all the time/money to get my car "track ready" (brakes/tires).... would the stock 18s and Hawk HPS be okay?

Do you guys normally change your brake pads before going to the track? Then swap them back out afterwards???

Old 02-15-2006 | 05:59 AM
|
G Kreuzer
Originally Posted by richie
Hey Clint, can we go and just watch? Not sure if I got all the time/money to get my car "track ready" (brakes/tires).... would the stock 18s and Hawk HPS be okay?

Do you guys normally change your brake pads before going to the track? Then swap them back out afterwards???
Yes Richie ... you can come spectate for free, but driving is much more fun.

To get started tracking isn't quite as involved as you or one might think. All that really needs to be addressed first and foremost than anything else is brake fluid (cheap) and then brake pads. The rest of the car bone stock is more than capable enough for now. Yes, that means running your exsting 17- or 18-inch stocker wheels and oem tires. Remember this is a high performance driving education (HPDE). You're goal is not to set a track record, but to learn and have fun. With that in mind, the stickiest tire, the strongest brakes, the stiffest suspensions are not necessary - not yet for now at least.

FYI, most people do elect to swap pads pre/post track days. It is relativelys simple and cheap to perform. A set for street and another for the track. Hawk HPS is a high performance 'street' compound pad, so it can handle some light duty tracking and provided you don't get overly aggressive with them. A better choice would be the Hawk HP+ or Carbotech Panther+. pads.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-15-2006 | 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by richie

Like Clint said BRAKES, BRAKES, BRAKES are the main thing that needs to be replaced when tracking your car. If you still have good set of rubber left on your original rims then you're all set. You can even bunk with someone in another room to save some $.

Old 02-15-2006 | 12:12 PM
Oooh it is going to be the 3.8 mile config! I haven't run this one yet. Should be fun. Registering right now!

Old 02-15-2006 | 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by THX723
FYI, most people do elect to swap pads pre/post track days. It is relativelys simple and cheap to perform. A set for street and another for the track. Hawk HPS is a high performance 'street' compound pad, so it can handle some light duty tracking and provided you don't get overly aggressive with them. A better choice would be the Hawk HP+ or Carbotech Panther+. pads.

Hope that helps.
Do you guys swap all 8 pads??? or just the fronts??? and how long does it take you guys???

I'm asking since it took me a while to change my 8 pads (but it was my first time - could probably do quick next time)

Old 02-15-2006 | 02:20 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Registered!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 04/22, Track Event @ Spring Mountain