South Serving AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX

Hurricane Katrina

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2005 | 04:11 PM
the people stealing tv's and jewlery are not doing it for survival. The thiefs should be shot on sight.

Old 08-31-2005 | 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by robbdogg
the people stealing tv's and jewlery are not doing it for survival. The thiefs should be shot on sight.
It isn’t likely that jewelry is being stolen from Wal-Mart (the store the original post indicated). I'm certain non-survival items are few... let's face it, what could they possibly do with it? Clothing, food, water etc is more than likely what people were taking from Wal-Mart.

There's a WAY bigger picture here than a few warranted or unwarranted "stealing" incidents... and the ramifications will be felt nation wide (and to an extent world wide).

Old 08-31-2005 | 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
It isn’t likely that jewelry is being stolen from Wal-Mart (the store the original post indicated). I'm certain non-survival items are few... let's face it, what could they possibly do with it? Clothing, food, water etc is more than likely what people were taking from Wal-Mart.

There's a WAY bigger picture here than a few warranted or unwarranted "stealing" incidents... and the ramifications will be felt nation wide (and to an extent world wide).

You might want to check your facts - walmart is the largest jewelry retailer in the country. And there have been several reports of it being stolen. And why would people steal it? Because they can and have no morals especially in times like this.
And actually the "taking" of neccesities is actually going to happen and expected, but people will take a mile when you give an inch.

And you really think that there are just a few incidents? Man I wish I had your rose colored glasses.

Old 08-31-2005 | 04:48 PM
You might want to check your facts - walmart is the largest jewelry retailer in the country. And there have been several reports of it being stolen. And why would people steal it? Because they can and have no morals especially in times like this.
And actually the "taking" of neccesities is actually going to happen and expected, but people will take a mile when you give an inch.

And you really think that there are just a few incidents? Man I wish I had your rose colored glasses.
The drama squabble is tolerable in some forums and in those I would rebut... This is a case that needs attention not feeble complaints. Do the situation a favor and help the cause. That's really the best you can do right now.

BTW, I'm not aware of a Wal Mart in So Cal that sells jewelry... but it's a mute point. I'm more interested in helping than complaining or arguing.

Old 08-31-2005 | 09:42 PM
im not saying what their doing is wrong. but if i was in their shoes i would.

Old 08-31-2005 | 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by G35_Foo
im not saying what their doing is wrong. but if i was in their shoes i would.
I have no idea what that means?

but you are saying you would steal tv's and jewlery and non-essential items?

Old 08-31-2005 | 10:53 PM
I have no idea what that means?

but you are saying you would steal tv's and jewlery and non-essential items?
Dude what is your fascination of the "stealing” issue?... Don’t you realize the magnitude of what is going on there? It doesn't take "rose colored glasses"... I think you are being mind raped by your local media. There is a WAY bigger issue going on in Louisiana and Mississippi... if you think the amount of "stealing" is having anything close to the impact of the real issue at hand, then you are way out of touch with reality!

I don’t think he meant anything by his post other than it's a VERY unusual situation and people shouldn’t be playing armchair quarterback, because you don’t know what you would do in that situation.

I don’t condone stealing but the people that are supposedly being stolen from have WAY bigger issues at hand! There isn’t much value in some of these areas. Most of it is being written off of as a loss. The stealing issue is a non-issue.

Get off your righteous high horse and show some integrity by understanding what is happening in the region.

Last edited by OCG35; 08-31-2005 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-31-2005 | 11:08 PM
Let me put my above post in perspective... how much is lost becuase of the "stealing"?.... 500K? 1M? 5m? The f'ing place is BILLIONS of dollars in trouble!

Wal-Mart, Mom & Pop Shop, etc... they aren't going to be opening their stores any time soon. It's ALL a loss.

Now do something to help.

Old 08-31-2005 | 11:16 PM
and people wonder what is wrong with this country?

and actually I *do* know what I would do in that situation - and stealing and looting things like TV's and jewlery and things like that is not what I would do.

and OC dude - I love the "high horse" attitude when you have no idea how this has affected my family, my employer, my friends or what I am doing.

p.s. you guys keep posting away - I'm not going to argue with someone who doesn't know the difference between "moot" and "mute" or "they're" and "their" Enjoy!

Last edited by cato; 09-01-2005 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-01-2005 | 12:12 AM
i wont be jacking none essential items though.

Old 09-01-2005 | 03:23 AM
I saw this post and i had to post.

I know wat some of you people are going though. Back in 1994 there was a huge earthquake that hit So Cal. The epicenter was 1/2 mile from where my house was.

I lost about 90% of my stuff and the same with my family.

Lately i have been watching T.V. and seriously i pry everyday that everyone will be safe. I stay up late night all sad and i wish i could do something to help out.

If anyone knows a way that i could help out, please let us know.

My prayers go out to everyone in the south.

Old 09-01-2005 | 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by G35_Foo
i wont be jacking none essential items though.

^^ that is *my* point - I have no issue with people doing this and I would do it to survive myself. It is actually "legal" in a disaster like this.

Old 09-01-2005 | 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by RashMan1450
I saw this post and i had to post.

I know wat some of you people are going though. Back in 1994 there was a huge earthquake that hit So Cal. The epicenter was 1/2 mile from where my house was.

I lost about 90% of my stuff and the same with my family.

Lately i have been watching T.V. and seriously i pry everyday that everyone will be safe. I stay up late night all sad and i wish i could do something to help out.

If anyone knows a way that i could help out, please let us know.

My prayers go out to everyone in the south.
I think your options are:

1) donate to the red cross - $, blood, food, etc...
2) donate through your company - I know a lot of companies are matching employee contributions.

Old 09-01-2005 | 08:15 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Staff Alumni
Houston Food Bank @ 3811 Eastex Freeway (59) (just north of downtown, between 610 North and I-10)

713-223-3700 - help needed with sorting and distribution of food.
· 2 or 4 hour shifts, from 8-5 Monday – Friday with them being closed from 12-1 for lunch.
· Must wear closed toes shoes, no heels as we’ll be working in a warehouse area
· No tank tops, cut off’s
· No bags, purses or cell phones allowed on the dock

Old 09-01-2005 | 08:22 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Staff Alumni
Haris County Judge Robert Eckels has asked for volunteers to help set up the Astrodome for arrival of 25,000 hurricane victims being relocated from the Superdome in New Orleans, Interested volunteers should register at:
http://www.harriscountycitizencorps....nteer/join.asp
This was issued yesterday and a sign up time of 5pm was requested. I don't know if it is too late to sign up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hurricane Katrina