Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Cato.

Looks like that link is down?

Old 09-01-2005, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by cato
Houston Food Bank @ 3811 Eastex Freeway (59) (just north of downtown, between 610 North and I-10)

713-223-3700 - help needed with sorting and distribution of food.
· 2 or 4 hour shifts, from 8-5 Monday – Friday with them being closed from 12-1 for lunch.
· Must wear closed toes shoes, no heels as we’ll be working in a warehouse area
· No tank tops, cut off’s
· No bags, purses or cell phones allowed on the dock

They are saying there is no need to call - that individuals should just show up to help out.

Old 09-01-2005, 10:08 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by robbdogg
Thanks Cato.

Looks like that link is down?
It was up early this morning, but now it seems to be down. You might want to call the "Judge" and see if they still need help if you feel like?

Old 09-01-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by cato
It was up early this morning, but now it seems to be down. You might want to call the "Judge" and see if they still need help if you feel like?

probably just be easier to go help at the food bank.

Old 09-01-2005, 12:47 PM
I'm planning to help at the dome through my company as soon as i get details i'll post it here....I do know howver that the evacuation has been put on hold b/c some momos over at the superdome decided to shoot at a military helicopter.....I thought it was martial law and um....the military will fire back... go fig....

Old 09-01-2005, 03:20 PM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, I'd like to go over and help with the evac by helping shoot those looters with guns! Imagine the fun.. a human hunt!

Old 09-01-2005, 10:19 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by RashMan1450
I saw this post and i had to post.

I know wat some of you people are going though. Back in 1994 there was a huge earthquake that hit So Cal. The epicenter was 1/2 mile from where my house was.

I lost about 90% of my stuff and the same with my family.

Lately i have been watching T.V. and seriously i pry everyday that everyone will be safe. I stay up late night all sad and i wish i could do something to help out.

If anyone knows a way that i could help out, please let us know.

My prayers go out to everyone in the south.
I'm in So Cal too - lived here all my life so I've been through many quakes, I know how you feel. Like you, I've been wanting to help out (more than donation). There are many locations that Red Cross is taking monetary donations, you can check out their website for a location near you www.redcross.org

If you are able to go to the region for 10 days to 3 months at a time (they work with your schedule and availability) you can contact your local Red Cross chapter - that's what I did, the OC chapter is currently conducting orientation and training - I'm scheduled for next week. If your local chapter isn't deploying volunteers and you live near OC give them a call 714-481-5331

Money is obviously a big help, but hands on volunteers are going to be needed for many months!

Old 09-03-2005, 03:33 PM
FS: OEM 18" W-n-T
I am one of those displaced from New Orleans and we are good people. What you are seeing on TV are people who are of low income and are in a fight for their LIVES. Every city has bad people, it’s just when you combine poor, scared, life threatened to the mix it’s very dangerous. I don't understand and don't condone the raping, killings and beatings. Wal-Mart and Target, just to name a couple large retailers opened their doors for people to take essential goods for survival. Yes, I’m sure that even the most moral of all people went in there and took needed goods and slipped a DVD or memory stick in their pocket. But most of the people who stayed were because they couldn’t afford to leave.

I'm sure that ANYONE who is placed under those same extreme conditions that these people are placed under will do anything to protect and support their families.

I am not giving up hope on New Orleans because of a few bad apples. I have lost very many of my prized possessions, but the possessions that I hold closest to my heart are my kids and family and we are all safe now (displaced but safe).

As a Dept. of Defense Prime Contractor providing network and telecommunications support we may be opening a Houston branch ourselves. (I hope we are welcome.)

Please donate to the American Red Cross as there are 10000’s of families less fortunate than mine have been displaced or left behind in what seems like a war destroyed zone.

Old 09-03-2005, 03:49 PM
I totally agree with max.... not all of us are bad people... atleast you have your whole family with you =/ my parents and brother are still down there and i cannot reach them....

Old 09-03-2005, 03:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im in SoCal and feel compelled to fly out there to help with the efforts...

Old 09-03-2005, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Gee Im Fast
Im in SoCal and feel compelled to fly out there to help with the efforts...

Honestly, right now, sending that money to the red cross or the houston food bank, salvation army, etc...would do alot more good right now than using it to fly out here.

I was out this morning dropping off diapers and then helping unload trucks - the manpower right now is pretty good (will it stay like this, I don't know) and I know the $ would be better served.

Old 09-03-2005, 04:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by robbdogg
Honestly, right now, sending that money to the red cross or the houston food bank, salvation army, etc...would do alot more good right now than using it to fly out here.

I was out this morning dropping off diapers and then helping unload trucks - the manpower right now is pretty good (will it stay like this, I don't know) and I know the $ would be better served.

I meant in conjunction to my monetary donation....would they even let volunteers fly into LA?

Edit: BTW Robb, thank you for your hard work and efforts, they are much apreciated by those in need, and those who do want to help, like myself. Again, thanks man.

Old 09-03-2005, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Gee Im Fast
I meant in conjunction to my monetary donation....would they even let volunteers fly into LA?

Edit: BTW Robb, thank you for your hard work and efforts, they are much apreciated by those in need, and those who do want to help, like myself. Again, thanks man.

You know - I have no idea. I would definitely call someone down here like the red cross or something before flying out. And also, the hotels here are packed to capacity right now, so it be hard to find a place to even stay here.

No need to thank me - it's just the right thing to do.

Old 09-03-2005, 10:39 PM
one other thing to you Gee or anyone else that is donating - think about giving a little to the SPCA and humane society. people forget about those places during these times. And those places are pretty important and hold a special place in my heart.

Thanks

Robb

Old 09-04-2005, 06:53 PM
^^Yes, please do remember the SPCA as well...I've already donated some food items and money for the animals...I've also donated to the KPRC drive and plan to do more tommorow...robb is correct by saying it's the right thing to do...my heart goes out to everyone suffering out there due to this disaster.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hurricane Katrina