SouthEast Serving AL, FL, GA, KY, NC, SC, TN

Who can adjust my timing in the North Atlanta area?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Who can adjust my timing in the North Atlanta area?

I want to try adjusting my timing up to 17* to see if I can regain some performance and get rid of my knock and ping under hard acceleration.

Yes, I have checked codes and sensors, there is nothing else I can troubleshoot. I just want to adjust the timing and see what I can get out of her.

I live in Monroe, GA but go through Gwinnett and Hwy 85 every day for work. I need someone with a Nissan Scanner to adjust my timing that won't chage $150 just to hook up not knowing if they can do it, like the dealer.

Thanks guys,
J

Old 10-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
I would think advancing your timing would make knock and ping problems worse. What octane gas are you using?

Also, anyone with an UpRev cable can change your timing using the Cipher program, don't need an Osiris license for that.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by LoSt180
I would think advancing your timing would make knock and ping problems worse. What octane gas are you using?

Also, anyone with an UpRev cable can change your timing using the Cipher program, don't need an Osiris license for that.
Have tried multiple brands of 93 octane. It has done this for over 70k miles. Over these miles I have changed the cam position, crank position sensors, checked for codes, reset the CPU multiple times, unhooked the battery multiple times. It's really the last thing I can think of. I think the timing might be slightly retarded and advancing it might do the trick

Old 10-25-2013, 02:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
retarding the timing to avoid pingint or knocking is just a band aid
your real problem is why the factory settings for retard and advance aren't working
knock sensors could be not functioning
dirty injectors
blow by through the valve seals or worn rings

changing the cam position wont solve those issues... it will change your torque curve and that's it
Nissan spent millions of dollars to get that amount of hp out of that engine and messing with stuff
will just obscure the problem

your best option is to put the cam timing back to stock and trouble shoot the knocking mechanically or by checking the senors

Old 10-26-2013, 06:54 AM
Originally Posted by ge35es
your real problem is why the factory settings for retard and advance aren't working
dirty injectors

changing the cam position wont solve those issues... it will change your torque curve and that's it
Nissan spent millions of dollars to get that amount of hp out of that engine and messing with stuff

your best option is to put the cam timing back to stock and trouble shoot the knocking mechanically or by checking the senors
The entire story goes like this: Bought my 05 G35 Coupe 6 spd at 113k miles. At 131k miles the harmonic balancer came off mid-acceleration and the timing chain jumped and trashed the valves. Sounded like a bag of rocks went through the engine.
I bought a engine with less than 3k miles on it from a Infinity Technician. The motor looked new when I got it. Gorgeous! See https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...ain-broke.html
After putting in the engine I noticed a small lack of acceleration and the knocking and pinging. I did pull the original knock sensor, the exhaust manifolds, intakes, coil packs and injectors from the old engine. The new motor runs great, no codes, no misfires. continually noticing the lack of power for the past 70k miles I have tried replacing the intake gaskets, cam position sensors, crank position sensor and cleaned the throttle body.
The ONLY thing I haven't replaced is the knock sensor. I guess I will try that next.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by ge35es
dirty injectors

You said "knock sensors" are there more than one? I know of the one under the intake that might be the culprit sense it now has 210k miles on it. BUT I think it's funny that it was fine on the old motor and the newer motor has the knocking and pinging, but I am willing to give it a try and replace it.