Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

G sightings!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by bigc
hmm, evidence. well your tire came off!

Wow....REALLY? Maybe you should try quoting everything and perhaps READING it all?

Originally Posted by donpisto
Running the stretched tire had only little to do with it, the tire had very little air, as I said in the high 20's, I was just careless and had not been checking it. It's kind of like letting a "regular" tire get to tire pressure in the teens, same thing is going to happen.

I woulda stuck with 225's and still be fine, I've seen people do a little more of an aggressive stretch as well. I just didnt know if my tire was still in good condition or not so I ordered the 235's. If you look at the aggressive offset/stretched tires thread you'll see that with my 235's it's not as much of a stretch...shoot, Vivek run the same tire as me and not 1 person says anything about it, but they did with me because I had 225's on and I admit, it was too much, but I needed to use it so I wouldn't rub. Had I gone with 235's at the moment I woulda been burning major rubber and poking out. I got more fender work done a couple weeks prior to getting the 235's on and I rub, before woulda been so much work cos I didn't have the same fenderwork (much less). I was going to take care of that on Friday but the guy that does my work had drifting practice for an event and the Irwindale Speedway.

As for dangerous, what factual evidence is there that running negative camber like I am is dangerous? I drive just like any other normal person does in both dry and wet conditions. I just have less contact patch, but I'm not boosted.
Made it easier, maybe now you can understand it had to do with tire pressure, not having enough air in it, and not because I had stretched tires. Or am I wrong? Having low pressure on a "properly" sized tire won't cause the tire to deflate?

Old 11-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
there are literally thousands of people driving on the roads with low / incorrect tire pressure whose tires do not unseat. the reason yours did is because you're running an extreme amount of camber on a stretched tire which eliminates any safety margin in the tire's design. its plain unsafe, and your experience illustrates it.

i try not to criticize other folk's rides or get into these arguments (outside of the politics section), but what you're doing is going to get you hurt. you can choose to ignore or belittle my advice, but I pray you don't kill yourself or one of your teammates the next time you have a wheel mishap.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the concern but no need to worry about me. Like you said many people run underinflated tires but to what extreme? Mine was severe and that's my point.

As I mentioned, there's many people that run negative camber, not necessarily to my extent, and people that run the same stretch as I do (or the stretch I have now at least). The more stretch, the more careful you gotta be. I had an extreme stretch before, but as mentioned, now it's not so stretched, it's just like Vivek's.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Levon, get your fenders done, camber less, and you'll be safer.

Originally Posted by bigc
there are literally thousands of people driving on the roads with low / incorrect tire pressure whose tires do not unseat. the reason yours did is because you're running an extreme amount of camber on a stretched tire which eliminates any safety margin in the tire's design. its plain unsafe, and your experience illustrates it.

i try not to criticize other folk's rides or get into these arguments (outside of the politics section), but what you're doing is going to get you hurt. you can choose to ignore or belittle my advice, but I pray you don't kill yourself or one of your teammates the next time you have a wheel mishap.
Go Big C!!! I'm a big fan of your posts in that section!! I cant deal with those old hags

Old 11-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
Stretched tires aren't as dangerous and 99% of people perceive them to be. By taking the proper precautions, and that includes checking your tire pressure, along with researching what tires have been proven to be better for stretching(ie Falken fk452 are risky by the amount of bubbling stories) and driving within your limits you are pretty much guaranteed to have absolutely no problems as far as safely goes. I didn't want to have to say anything but this discussion just wont die haha. People have been daily driving stretched tires for upwards of 10+ years now, and if it were REALLY that dangerous so many people wouldn't be running such setups now. I will say this though, that if you are gonna be running such setups and especially to the extent that Levon is you better fvcking make sure your shiit is right. IMHO Levon was being quite irresponsible for not checking and making sure that he was running the correct pressure and had something happened i would be pretty heated as it would have been cause by his negligence. All im a say is research more than just listening to what others say(when 9 out of 10 have no real experience with stretching) Because those of you who really feeling that it is THAT dangerous are just being ignorant because in reality although it's obviously not as safe as running a in spec tire, it is not so dangerous that you are really putting that many people around you at risk if you take the proper precautions.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by donpisto
Thanks for the concern but no need to worry about me. Like you said many people run underinflated tires but to what extreme? Mine was severe and that's my point.

As I mentioned, there's many people that run negative camber, not necessarily to my extent, and people that run the same stretch as I do (or the stretch I have now at least). The more stretch, the more careful you gotta be. I had an extreme stretch before, but as mentioned, now it's not so stretched, it's just like Vivek's.
We at Team OUTCAST worry about ya bro!!! Make sure your PSI is right...although Im sure you will be checking like crazy after what happened.

Oh Spotted a black coupe yesterday late afternoon on the 5S by Jamboree Exit. Slamed with Kenstyle rear and some nice looking wheels.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:11 PM
rarejdm.com

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
While I do agree with Shane that you can get away with a stretch if it is properly maintained, I am willing to bet most people don't check or maintain their setups nearly as often as they should.

We can argue all day, but bottom line is that running a tire that is too small for the rim, especially in these extreme cases, is not as safe as running a properly paired tire/wheel combo. Even with proper maintenance, the tire is out of spec and the bead is under way more stress then intended by the manufacturer, and can lead to tire failure. Also, by stretching the tire you are exposing the sidewall to the ground, which it is not meant to be in contact with. Add excessive camber into the mix, and now your sidewall is contacting the pavement way more than it was designed for.

Sure a lot of people have been doing it, and sure you can minimize the risks, but that doesn't mean that it isn't dangerous. No matter how careful you drive, one good pothole on a super stretched setup can easily lead to disaster.

Isn't this the G sightings thread btw?

Old 11-24-2009, 09:23 PM
Shane hit it right on the head, my problem was not being responsible.

Originally Posted by silver g
We at Team OUTCAST worry about ya bro!!! Make sure your PSI is right...although Im sure you will be checking like crazy after what happened.

Oh Spotted a black coupe yesterday late afternoon on the 5S by Jamboree Exit. Slamed with Kenstyle rear and some nice looking wheels.
Yep, been actually checking at least once a week but I have a habit of doing it twice a week. Not gonna let the same thing happen again.

Originally Posted by zackt69
Isn't this the G sightings thread btw?
Yes but things tend to go off topic everywhere nowadays.

Moving on...saw a pretty nice lookin coupe on the 2 to the 5. Kinda hard talkin to ya with all the wind lol. What color was your car? Looked like laguna seca blue but seemed more bluish (if you're on here)

Old 11-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
spotted 3 g'z last nith two at the amf at western an orange one with i think agreddy front and the other was an OB nismo front.. then a sick silver g at denny's at PCH..

Old 11-26-2009, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw a sick white g35s sedan (Manual for sure) with volk or work rim..+ g37 coupe spoiler....Oh..also custom muffler??...Dam...good exhaust sound.

I was IP g35c...(did not try to race him, but somehow we race???)

Old 11-27-2009, 01:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ lol it was merely a competition to see who exhaust is louder

Old 11-27-2009, 01:26 AM
saw an silver 03/04 sedan dumped on i guess stockers rolling on the 605 S. today, Had a rear lip spoiler, black roof, 05 reverse lights, nismo kit, and some other stuff, really clean, loved it. We gave each other thumbs up.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:30 AM
My car goes side ways sometimes with my tires only being 3k miles on them -4 camber FTL.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last night around 9:00PM, saw a silver coupe with competely debadged back end and an orange time attack stripe on rims. I think we were just on the 60 West, after transferring from the 605 South. I am not as good as you guys at spotting all the nuances of a car. But I am sure that driver is part of this community.

Car looked nice.

Dave

Old 11-28-2009, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by jlo0109
My car goes side ways sometimes with my tires only being 3k miles on them -4 camber FTL.
You aint seen sideways until you seen what I saw today. On the 605 a Z06 did a 720 towards the right, then 540 the other way...he was right behind me....pretty crazy.

Your toe in spec tho?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: G sightings!