Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

So, I got a REFEREE ticket!! =(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ Can you by any chance take a look at the number that on the sticker so I can look it up?

Old 05-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gammawolf
I never heard the term Referee ticket but I have heard of a fixit ticket which I assume you've received? I got a fixit ticket for not having a front license plate and have realized that the best thing to do is NOT go to the central station in Downtown L.A. They charge you a grip and sometimes its a b!tch to get there due to the parking situation.

On fixit tickets, only CHP and the Sheriff's department can sign them off. Or at least it used to be two years ago when I was in L.A. LAPD cannot do it. So what I would do is go to the CHP station in downtown LA put my Stillen front license plate on and get some senior CHP volunteer to sign it off and pay $10.

If I were you and since you live in San Gabriel, I would probably go to the CHP or is it Sheriff's department . . . I think it's the Sheriffs department off of the 710/10 interchange south of Cal State LA. They could probably sign it off for you if you comply and not charge you the extra fees that those central sign off stations do.

Now ask somebody else what is carb legal and what is not. I have DC headers too and am curious. Of course, I got a Fujitsubo exhaust specifically to keep the noise level down. I once had an HKS for a little while and when combined with the MREV, headers, and intake . . . my girl was LOUD! Too loud for my taste. Sweet looking exhaust though.

But wouldn't the intake be the easiest thing to change? And the headers are so hard to see.
At first I thought you were joking but I realized that you're not... State Ref and Fix It tickets are two completely different things. State Ref is not something you can sign off. It's more serious business than a Fix It ticket. Whenever you get a State Ref ticket, you can either pay it off or take your car to the nearest State Referee station, and have your car checked for emissions compliance (C.A.R.B. if you're in CA), and a bunch of other things.

Basically, State Ref is not the type of ticket you want to get, especially when you're F/I or modified to the point of no return.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by stillmatic
At first I thought you were joking but I realized that you're not... State Ref and Fix It tickets are two completely different things. State Ref is not something you can sign off. It's more serious business than a Fix It ticket. Whenever you get a State Ref ticket, you can either pay it off or take your car to the nearest State Referee station, and have your car checked for emissions compliance (C.A.R.B. if you're in CA), and a bunch of other things.

Basically, State Ref is not the type of ticket you want to get, especially when you're F/I or modified to the point of no return.
+1.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:34 PM
I wasn't told I could just pay it off. They told me it was unlawful for me to drive my car on the street unless State Ref cleared it. They said even if the court lets me go, w/o State Ref its against the law for me to drive the car. They said if I am caught driving the car, I can be arrested and my car impounded...

Old 05-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
C.A.R.B. E.O. #D-370-12 (for ur DC headers)

Old 05-05-2008, 02:44 PM
don't swet it, you'll be fine. your mods are pretty tame you should be good on the sniffer.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Waaaaaait....so even if you pay it off, it's still illegal driving the car around? WTF......cuzz I was hoping if I get a fix it/referee in the future I just go pay it off, I mean sh***t knock on wood haha

Old 05-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by G35Rider92649
Waaaaaait....so even if you pay it off, it's still illegal driving the car around? WTF......cuzz I was hoping if I get a fix it/referee in the future I just go pay it off, I mean sh***t knock on wood haha
Yes, I am told that even if you pay at court, you still cannot drive the car. The State Ref has to inspect it and clear it before you can drive it.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by usmcmark
C.A.R.B. E.O. #D-370-12 (for ur DC headers)
Thank you very much!

Old 05-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by GReddySetGO
Thank you very much!
you're very welcome!

Old 05-05-2008, 05:05 PM
i got a ref ticket back in 04 in my prelude. granted my car had the greddy turbo kit on it and 100 shot direct port with everything else you can think of. i wasnt about to put the car back to stock. i paid the "fine" by calling into the police office that the officer was out of. I played stupid and ask the lady who answered the phone that i wouldnt have time to take it in. And i just wanted to pay the fine. The fine as $890 so it would clear my record but she said if i get pulled over again and get the same exact ticket i would have to see the REF w/o option of paying the fine.

Hope that helps. that kinda blows that they popped you for that.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Another thing, the cops stated they were citing me because the parts didn't have the EO# stickers on them, and I had no paper work. Since/if all my stuff is legal, am I going to have a problem at referee w/o the stickers? I have all the paper work for the parts now, minus the exhaust, which I'm hoping just has to pass a db test.

Is there anyway I can contact the manufacturers to get stickers or something? I'm going to keep all the paperwork in my car from now on too.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
none of that here.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I think Imma move to Florida and just go TT.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Only in California is it illegal to drive around with aftermarket parts even if they pass the sniffer test...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So, I got a REFEREE ticket!! =(