Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Anyone interested in Sound Deadening

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Anyone interested in Sound Deadening

Alrite guys i was gonna get some sound deadening for my audio setup, and reducing road noise, and figured a lot of other people would be interested in buying sound deadening as well. This would be for socal only as it will be much easier!!
Group buy for Second Skin Sound Deadener.....best on the market!

Price will vary on the amount that is ordered, but savings will be between 10-15%. This will be for Damplifier Pro ONLY. Reason is because it is a bit thicker than regular Damplifier and requires less work. It actually comes out to be a little cheaper when comparing costs of equal amounts of Damplifier and Damplifier Pro.

Here are a couple videos showing the differences of just ONE layer on donpisto's trunk lid.

Before:

After:

Not only will you have less rattles, but since you eliminate rattles, you actually gain louder bass.

If you are interested in any other of the Second Skin products let me know and I can get you more info.

Link to Second Skin's Damplifier Pro:
http://secondskinaudio.com/vibration...lifier-pro.php

Last edited by 4drmadness; 01-07-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
how are these against road noise?

Old 01-07-2010, 06:54 PM
here ya go. they explain it well!

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/vibra...lifier-pro.php

Originally Posted by G SEDAN

Old 01-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
bang for buck - this stuff is tried & true:
http://www.b-quiet.com/

I have the V-Comp mat in my trunk - it's relatively light (compared to other products) I like the fact that I can remove it for track... they make the typically adhesive sheets to though.

Made a noticeable difference in cabin - muffling gen 1 Stillen... it doesn't completely silence but does deaden the sound considerably.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Depends on where you do it. To maximize removing road noise you'd have to use several different products. But it can still be done with just Damp Pro.

Basically, the Damplifier Pro is the base, then you put a closed cell foam material over it, which would block airborne frequencies. If using Second Skin products, using the Luxury liner would be best as it is thicker and will absorb more of those airbone frequencies.

If you really wanna attack it, then you do it from the outside as well. I used Spectrum Sludge (liquid version of deadener) on my Accord's front fenders and wheel wheels...also the fender liners...it helped out ALOT, I was amazed. They actually got another product card firewall which is meant for that purpose, I just didn't know at the time.

The most vulnerable areas are any thin sheet metal. Doors would be #1 since you're next to it. I'd say the fenders as well. I actually did Damplifier and then spectrum on my fenders (what I referred to before).

Floor is another area and so is the roof, but that will get costly, but if you want it to be quiet, it's what's gotta be done.

I personally used several sound deadener products, mentioned it throughout old posts in the audio section. Raammat is decent, very inexpensive, but results aren't as great. Dynamat Xtreme is too expensive, too tacky, too thin, not worth the money. eDead is absolute crap, never buy asphalt based deadener, same goes for Fatmat, unless you want it to come off during scorching temps in the summer, I personally don't want it to...Heck of a mess to clean up and waste of money. Cascade is good, but I liked Second Skin better, seemed to be more effective. Haven't used B-Quiet so can't comment on that. I'm skeptical that it comes in rolls though, as typically roof-based products come in rolls (those are mass loaders and just add weight rather than dampen). I don't think that's the case with B-Quiet, but I'm not certain. It's also about 20 mils thicker than B-Quiet (almost 0.5mm, which with sound deadening is quite a bit....this is in comparison to B-Quiet Ultimate. I like Second SKin and would stand by it just because I've used it in all my previous setups and friends' setups...plus now it's no longer an aluminum foil look, it's black, so it looks more OEM if you put it on the trunk lid or anywhere that may not be covered (thankfully our trunklid is).
I hope that helps answer your question Aaron, lol. I kinda got outta hand with the book I was writing here (you should see how bad it is in the audio section lol).

Last edited by The Stimulation; 01-07-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
I need some for my audio install myself. Second Skin > Dynamat

Old 01-07-2010, 08:00 PM
how much to make my car sound like a lexus LS?

that's all.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
how much to make my car sound like a lexus LS?

that's all.
that's easy... a little over 65K
http://www.lexus.com/models/LS/?s_oc...S_Display_Info

Old 01-07-2010, 08:08 PM
I haven't driven in a Lexus LS, so I'm not sure....do know how comparable it is to a 5 series BMW? Or a newer GS?

My accord was much quieter than my G when I got halfway done with it. I used Damplifier, not Pro...though after using pro it's worth it, and a tad cheaper. Basically with 1 layer of Damp Pro it's like putting on 2 layers (1.5 realistically but you can't put half a layer lol) of Damplifier. Damp pro is half the work.

When I did my hood with 1 layer I did a simple test. Put a hose full blast on the hood and barely heard anything, had it aimed at the rear doors and super loud. You could hear it on the hood but it reduced it a sh*t load, basically say you have volume on OEM radio at 25, it brough it down 3-4.. Not really the most accurate comparison, but it was drastically noticeable.

I'm prob gonna do 2 layers on the inner part of the door panel, another 1, maybe 2 on the outer and do one layer on the fenders. For the doors I'm probably going to add luxury liner (inner part) and rattle pad for the outer door. That's prob more than enough but it would be a big difference. Even 1 layer inside and outside of the door panel is gonna help. I'd add the foam to help out though, I used overkill in my Accord and between the door panel and door i used rattle pad.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
LOL. I thought you were going to post a muffler sound clip of the LS, haha.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:10 PM
let me know when you're gonna do it I'm down to do a weekend project and save $ together on buying bulk

Old 01-07-2010, 08:14 PM
There's plenty of tricks besides deadener. One of the best, like for the C pillars and trunk is expanding foam. That does wonders!

I probably spent about $600 on my Accord and it was well worth it, just wish I still had it. Wasn't really much rattle either with an 18" sub powered by an RF t30001bd

Basically I did the trunk lid, trunk floor and walls, front and rear wheel wells, front doors, rear deck, rear seat (a little), rear doors (a little), front fender liners and fenders, tail lights, hood, license plate, and that's about it. Next was the floor and roof.

If I'm not lazy I'll clean out my trunk and check behind the carpetting we have and see where in the rear are the weak spots. But for sure the front fenders and doors are key (fronts primarily since you're right there).

You know what would be pretty cool? If we could get some flat panels or something to cover the bottom of our vehicles...That let's in alot of noise..some deadener on that would help out too. The flatter the better, less room for wind to travel

Old 01-07-2010, 08:17 PM
I had posted my car on their site a while back, here's a link: http://secondskinaudio.com/rides-user.php?userride=117

If anyone wants larger pics I can provide them. I was in the process of putting 4 PDX 1.1000 amps on the single 18, all 4 were gonna be in the spare tire well along with a 5th one for the front speakers. Sadly never got to finish it, car got totaled

Old 01-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Well lets start a list so we can all just buy in bulk and have heavy gs

1. vivek- 1 shop pack

Last edited by 4drmadness; 01-07-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
How much weight does this add?

I want to reduce the amount of drone inside the cabin.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone interested in Sound Deadening