Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Exhaust Ticket, Need Your Input

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Deepdiver
if you read the vc, 27151 deals directly with the level of exhaust sound. It makes no reference to a visual inspection (other than holes or leaks, etc).

From the DMV as you pointed out:

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

OP, what else does the ticket say where he wrote down the vehicle code you were supposedly violating? There may be notes and if there are, list that. If none, then you need to get a sound check at the state ref and you're set.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
So explain to me why I have a friend that got pulled over on his bike for illegal lights (they were illegal since they're not DOT approved) and the cop was looking for that and said for them to be legal they must be legal?

Or why there are exhaust systems that state "50 state legal" and if you get pulled over for it, an officer will ask you if you have documentation stating that the exhaust system is legal and complies with CA emissions?

In that case, putting on different wheels on a car is illegal, and is a modification according to your statement, and they most certainly are not.

Like you said, I can get a ticket for an intake with carb number and I have. The cop was stupid, even said my engine was illegal, I asked why and they didn't know why it just "looked" illegal..it's because I had a 350z cover on my engine that was painted. Cops will through around the idea of something being illegal if they are unfamiliar with it.

My point is, how is modifying a vehicle illegal...especially when I have had cops tell me directly, if you're going to modify your car, that's fine, just do so by the vehicle code.

Another example, changing the suspension by installing coilovers or springs is illegal according to your statement, however, they are perfectly legal as long as the lowest part of the body (maybe chassis? forgot which one, but it probably is the body since that is where they measured for me) is at least 4" above the ground and the center of the headlights must be I believe 22" above the ground. Lowering the vehicle is legal, it's the drop height that determines at which point it becomes illegal.

DAMN +1000 for the above. , Then every single car on the road would be illegal.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:45 PM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by donpisto
So explain to me why I have a friend that got pulled over on his bike for illegal lights (they were illegal since they're not DOT approved) and the cop was looking for that and said for them to be legal they must be legal?

Or why there are exhaust systems that state "50 state legal" and if you get pulled over for it, an officer will ask you if you have documentation stating that the exhaust system is legal and complies with CA emissions?

In that case, putting on different wheels on a car is illegal, and is a modification according to your statement, and they most certainly are not.

Like you said, I can get a ticket for an intake with carb number and I have. The cop was stupid, even said my engine was illegal, I asked why and they didn't know why it just "looked" illegal..it's because I had a 350z cover on my engine that was painted. Cops will through around the idea of something being illegal if they are unfamiliar with it.

My point is, how is modifying a vehicle illegal...especially when I have had cops tell me directly, if you're going to modify your car, that's fine, just do so by the vehicle code.

Another example, changing the suspension by installing coilovers or springs is illegal according to your statement, however, they are perfectly legal as long as the lowest part of the body (maybe chassis? forgot which one, but it probably is the body since that is where they measured for me) is at least 4" above the ground and the center of the headlights must be I believe 22" above the ground. Lowering the vehicle is legal, it's the drop height that determines at which point it becomes illegal.

no matter if the modified part falls under a code. An officer can write you a fix a ticket any part he/she thinks is modified.

even if you meet code for ride height a cop will write you a ticket, just so it can get inspected, which relates to a fix a ticket.

changing the wheels on your car can make an officer give you a fix a ticket. say for your wheels exp.. Officer might think its unsafe for street roads, but you know its safe, but the officer still gives you a fix a tickets have it inspected.

my whole point is no matter what you do to your car, modifying your vehicle results a fix a ticket (depending on the officer) which results to it being illegal.

Last edited by LightsOut; 01-13-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by LightsOut
no matter if the modified part falls under a code. An officer can write you a fix a ticket any part he/she thinks is modified.

even if you meet code for ride height a cop will write you a ticket, just so it can get inspected, which relates to a fix a ticket.

changing the wheels on your car can make an officer give you a fix a ticket. say for your wheels exp.. Officer might think its unsafe for street roads, but you know its safe, but the officer still gives you a fix a tickets have it inspected.

my whole point is no matter what you do to your car, modifying your vehicle results a fix a ticket (depending on the officer) which results to it being illegal.
That I can agree with but not the last part. "Being illegal" no I can't agree with, but assuming it being illegal, yes, I can agree with that.

A cop can give a ticket for anything as long as they think it deserves to be a ticket to their knowledge. Sadly some cops don't possess much knowledge or just that others are much more knowledgeable. I have had conversations with some, so funny because when I got pulled over for my intake a 2nd cop came by and I was talking to him and he disagreed with the other officer and he couldn't do anything about it since the other officer cited me.

Basically it's a way for them to meet their quota (no setnumber, but it's to the status quo of the dept) and for the state to make some revenue, but that's a different topic. But it's also there for the "other" category I guess. When something can possibly be illegal and a cop just doesn't know so they have the proper authorities inspect it, sucks that we still have to pay a fine even though it's legal, that's the part where we get hustled for state revenues.

But basically you can get a fix it ticket for modifying anything because it could be considered illegal, whether it in fact is legal or not will depend on documentation and/or inspection. It's always at the discretion of the cop, usually their mood, knowledge, and how they feel towards you. Even if you cooperate you may be SOL, been there done that lol.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:05 PM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That I can agree with but not the last part. "Being illegal" no I can't agree with, but assuming it being illegal, yes, I can agree with that.

A cop can give a ticket for anything as long as they think it deserves to be a ticket to their knowledge. Sadly some cops don't possess much knowledge or just that others are much more knowledgeable. I have had conversations with some, so funny because when I got pulled over for my intake a 2nd cop came by and I was talking to him and he disagreed with the other officer and he couldn't do anything about it since the other officer cited me.

Basically it's a way for them to meet their quota (no setnumber, but it's to the status quo of the dept) and for the state to make some revenue, but that's a different topic. But it's also there for the "other" category I guess. When something can possibly be illegal and a cop just doesn't know so they have the proper authorities inspect it, sucks that we still have to pay a fine even though it's legal, that's the part where we get hustled for state revenues.

But basically you can get a fix it ticket for modifying anything because it could be considered illegal, whether it in fact is legal or not will depend on documentation and/or inspection. It's always at the discretion of the cop, usually their mood, knowledge, and how they feel towards you. Even if you cooperate you may be SOL, been there done that lol.
I should have just stated that from the begining..lol

true cops just hussle us. They know if they want to get paid, issue tickets!

Old 01-13-2010, 05:15 PM
Very true. It's frustrating, I know they're doing their job sometimes but seriously, some are so stupid (the citations). I got pulled over once and the cop was literally looking for every little thing wrong with my car, taking pictures, taking measurements....I even stated I was late for a meeting and wanted to call my supervisor to let them know and I was told "you better not bring anyone here, I don't want drama"....wtf? Lol..I had just told them I work for the city (same law enforcement agency) and I was on my way to a meeting....and during that 30 mins of a waste of my time I saw several people speeding then slamming on their breaks, people littering, and even a person running a red light.

Instead I get a ticket for which I will be dismissed on and the state is making $32.75 from me, where they could have made several hundred or a grand off someone littering, a few hundred off running a red light and a couple hundred off the speeders....but I'm the real criminal because I'm young and drive an attractive car.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Very true. It's frustrating, I know they're doing their job sometimes but seriously, some are so stupid (the citations). I got pulled over once and the cop was literally looking for every little thing wrong with my car, taking pictures, taking measurements....I even stated I was late for a meeting and wanted to call my supervisor to let them know and I was told "you better not bring anyone here, I don't want drama"....wtf? Lol..I had just told them I work for the city (same law enforcement agency) and I was on my way to a meeting....and during that 30 mins of a waste of my time I saw several people speeding then slamming on their breaks, people littering, and even a person running a red light.

Instead I get a ticket for which I will be dismissed on and the state is making $32.75 from me, where they could have made several hundred or a grand off someone littering, a few hundred off running a red light and a couple hundred off the speeders....but I'm the real criminal because I'm young and drive an attractive car.
+10000 Seriously word up.
Ey thanks for the advice man, i knew a lot of you been through rougher situations.
I'm still at school but as soon as i get back to my apt i'll let you guys know what else is written on the ticket.
I didn't check the back or anything but underneath violations, it said "correctable" and it said "27151(a) VC--Modified Exhaust"...so far that's all i remember
Good looks fellas

Old 01-13-2010, 06:01 PM
At least they were nice enough to write correctable...i got a non-correctable for intake yet was told to take it to state ref, lol...got non-correctable for my wheels too because they rub

Old 01-13-2010, 07:37 PM
At least they were nice enough to write correctable...i got a non-correctable for intake yet was told to take it to state ref, lol...got non-correctable for my wheels too because they rub
ticket for being too flush? what has this world come to -__-

Anyways, i'm looking at my ticket & there's no further information besides "Correctable / 27151(a) VC - Modified Exhaust / Infraction". The back just has the normal stuff describing how correctable violations can be inspected at the police station and beneath that is the space where they sign it.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:01 AM
Received 194 Likes on 135 Posts
Gl on it all Law sounds like you'll be out $25 but at least you'll proly be able to keep the nismo

Old 01-14-2010, 01:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its like i just read a 10 page essay now LOL

Old 01-14-2010, 02:24 AM
^^^^

lol.

I guess since it's a sound violation just get paperwork from the dealer and see if that will suffice at the police station. if it doesn't then go to the state ref for an audible test. going to the dealer first saves some time, money, and gas since there's not too many of them out there compared to dealerships.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:21 AM
yeeaa that's exactly what imma do, cuz i know i'm legit

Old 01-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
dude all these fix it tickets and pulling people over and over and over for mods I swear someone is going to get fed up one of these days I can call it now. I wont be suprised when a cop pulls over a wrong guy with a modded car and gets a bullet to his head for it. And nope I'm a cop supporter if anything for society but still and I'm educated to understand their point of view, but fact is fact, and I hear and see what I see and hear, people are seriously getting FED UP, LIKE FEEEEEEEEED UP with this.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
guess you still didnt take my advice...

i have the same exhaust as UUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!

it passes sound and visual inspections!

btw look at my post count lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Ticket, Need Your Input