Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Exhaust Ticket, Need Your Input

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 06:18 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Exhaust Ticket, Need Your Input

So basically i got pulled over for modified exhaust in Riverside --27151(2) VC
I'm currently running a Nismo S-tune Catback.

The cop asks me if i had any knowledge that i had an "aftermarket exhaust". I tell him i have an exhaust system but it's a factory exhaust. He writes me the citation anyways and then tells me that if i can get the Infiniti dealer to certify that my exhaust (Nismo S-Tune) is indeed a factory exhaust system that is compliant with California regulations and that it can be purchased & installed as a factory add on from the dealer, then my ticket can be dismissed. Also, the citation indicates that this is a "correctable violation" so i should use that to my advantage. I mean, this is complete BS...my Nismo catback isn't even "aftermarket" in this sense since Nismo S-tune parts are genuine factory accessories for Nissans & Infinitis.

With that i have a few questions:
1) If i want to get the ticket signed off, do i go to a police station or ref station?

2) What kind of "fixes" do the police station and ref station look for? Sound? Smog? Visual? Explain.

3) I've never heard of anyone getting documentation from the dealer to certify that an exhaust system is factory spec...but since the cop has told me of this option, do you think Riverside Infiniti (or any dealer) can hook it up with any sort of documentation?

4) Would such documentation be sufficient to get my ticket signed off at a police/ref station or would it only be useful in court?

5) I'd really hate to go back to stock so if all else fails imma just pay the fine & keep my setup, but how many times can i do this? Will there be an increase in fines with subsequent violations?

Please share any knowledge and experiences you have regarding my situation. Thanks for reading

Old 01-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it is 50 state legal, i know i have it

just got to your nearest chp station and say it was corrected and they will sign it off

then u must go to the courthouse where it was assigned then pay a $25 court doc fee

then ur off, but keep that ticket to show that your exhaust is legal next time the pop0's pull u over for it

hope that helps

Old 01-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Damn you have to pay 25 for a fixit tickit? I only had to pay 10 for all mine. In norcal. And yea just find any cop and he will sign it off

Old 01-13-2010, 12:27 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
Wow, it sucks you got a ticket man! But atleast he put it down as correctable.

Yeah, it's a $25 fee down here

Old 01-13-2010, 12:35 PM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
no matter what you say or do. its still a fix a ticket and did not come with the vehicle. Any modification done to the car is illegal. Just put back your oem exhaust, get it signed and cleared.

or do what others have posted but some cops can be jerks, when it comes to signing off the ticket.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:10 PM
for those of you who got your exhaust ticket signed off, what do they look for?
like is it just a visual inspection or do they make you start your car and rev for a bit?
Because if that's the case, i'd rather just make an appointment for a ref station because i'm 100% sure a Nismo exhaust is not over 95 decibels

Old 01-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Well mine was for being to loud.99% of cops don't care if you have aftermarket exhaust. What did be write on the ticket. If its for being to loud they will make you start the car. You dont have yo rev it

Old 01-13-2010, 04:07 PM
the ticket says "27151(2) VC -Modified Exhaust"
Even when he pulled me over, he mentioned nothing of the sound, he just kept saying that its aftermarket and its illegal and all that BS
so it's just a visual huh? do you think nismo would pass visual, i mean it looks EXACTLY like OEM

Old 01-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Law to the Rence

With that i have a few questions:
1) If i want to get the ticket signed off, do i go to a police station or ref station?

To get signed off, CHP or Sheriff's. Ref station is only there for inspection and they can give you documentation.

2) What kind of "fixes" do the police station and ref station look for? Sound? Smog? Visual? Explain.

Depends. If you have a ticket for loud exhaust, then the ref only looks at the sound level. If they think you have an illegal exhaust or something, then probably a full test where they see if you pass both visual inspection (full inspection including under your hood, etc even though you didn't get cited for that) and an actual run on the machine to see if you pass emissions.

3) I've never heard of anyone getting documentation from the dealer to certify that an exhaust system is factory spec...but since the cop has told me of this option, do you think Riverside Infiniti (or any dealer) can hook it up with any sort of documentation?

You may not need documentation. You can get a written document from an Infiniti representative stating that the exhaust is legal, but it has to be considered legal for your vehicle, your vehicle meaning same year, model, etc. Quick example: I got a ticket for intake, I had the E.O. # and cop still wanted papers...State ref said it's not needed, but I failed visual inspection because the E.O. # did not match my year, it was for 02-04 G35, I have an '06. I would have to get the correct E.O. # to have passed...I had bought it used so nothing I can do to argue...cops or state ref will use that against you saying it may be legal for another car, or even same car, different year, but it has be documented as legal for your year, etc.

4) Would such documentation be sufficient to get my ticket signed off at a police/ref station or would it only be useful in court?

Depends on where you've been told to go. If you were told to go to the state ref, there should be some info on the back of the ticket telling you where to go. You can call the law enforcement agency that cited you and ask them (prob the best thing to do). If you have proof that states what you have is legal on your vehicle, then that should be sufficient for the police station/sheriff/chp office that reviews it. State ref I'm going to say yes, that should be sufficient as well, but I'm not 100% sure, they may still a visual inspection and such if it is required.

5) I'd really hate to go back to stock so if all else fails imma just pay the fine & keep my setup, but how many times can i do this? Will there be an increase in fines with subsequent violations?

Don't really know the answer to this, but the fine can increase and I think it can get to a point where they can take your vehicle away (3rd time or after the 3rd time). I'm not even near anywhere sure about this, but I think it may be a possibility.
Responded above. You got stuck with an ignorant cop...really sucks..came across several of those and fighting tickets because of it. Waste of mine time, government's time, etc....but it's how they get their money cos the state is in such a budget crisis.

Originally Posted by LightsOut
no matter what you say or do. its still a fix a ticket and did not come with the vehicle. Any modification done to the car is illegal. Just put back your oem exhaust, get it signed and cleared.

or do what others have posted but some cops can be jerks, when it comes to signing off the ticket.
That's untrue. You can put an intake on your car and it can be legal, same with an exhaust. As long as you have an E.O. # you're good. You can change headlights, tail lights, etc... as long as they are SAE and DOT approved you're fine. There are aftermarket parts that are legal.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:19 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm not from out there CA, But if the dealer offers it as dealer accessory then just got the dealer get it noted that it is a factory part and the got to the REF station and get it signed off.. SUX to have this happen.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Even when he pulled me over, he mentioned nothing of the sound, he just kept saying that its aftermarket and its illegal and all that BS
so it's just a visual huh? do you think nismo would pass visual, i mean it looks EXACTLY like OEM
It comes down to where you're supposed to get it checked at...did he state where? I'm guessing it would have to be the state ref. The police station or any other law enforcement agency will not know exactly what to look for or it must come from testing.

As I mentioned previously, you can take it to the state ref. Maybe call them up and explain your situation. They'll run a visual inspection and put you a dyno like device. They'll give you a printout showing you passed, etc, and you can show that to the court and that will dismiss it, but find out if it would dismiss it from the court. If it doesn't, fight it and use the state ref printout as your evidence to show that it is not illegal, passes emissions and everything, and even the sound test. You may have to request a sound test as well, but since you weren't cited for it, you don't have to worry about it as it was not what you got cited for..at least to my belief you won't need to but that could always be at the discretion of the court. Also, verify the amount to be charged for doing such a test with the state ref so you don't go in there paying a bundle and not knowing.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:24 PM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by donpisto
Responded above. You got stuck with an ignorant cop...really sucks..came across several of those and fighting tickets because of it. Waste of mine time, government's time, etc....but it's how they get their money cos the state is in such a budget crisis.

That's untrue. You can put an intake on your car and it can be legal, same with an exhaust. As long as you have an E.O. # you're good. You can change headlights, tail lights, etc... as long as they are SAE and DOT approved you're fine. There are aftermarket parts that are legal.

your wrong buddy! any modification done to vehicle is illegal in Cali. Yes we all do it, but its illegal. Cops dont bust everyone cause then they'll have to pull every car over.
You can still get a fix a ticket for having a carb sticker on your intake. Its a fix a ticket that must be corrected.
If your upgrading oem parts that the car comes with, then cops wouldn't tell the difference. (thats a loophole)

In his case G35 didn't come with a Nismo exhaust. It could pass the decimal inspection, but if it were to get inspected it will fail the visual inspection.

OP no worries drive down to chp have them sign it off and get it stamped. they wont know your exhaust is aftermarket, just say you swapped mufflers only, due to putting a hole in the original...

Last edited by LightsOut; 01-13-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
I'm not from out there CA, But if the dealer offers it as dealer accessory then just got the dealer get it noted that it is a factory part and the got to the REF station and get it signed off.. SUX to have this happen.
Going to the ref station would be unnecessary as the documentation from the dealer would suffice as enough evidence that the exhaust is perfectly legal. The state ref is there to inspect whether an aftermarket exhaust is in compliance with emissions and such. Documentation from the dealer says just that.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:27 PM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
if you read the vc, 27151 deals directly with the level of exhaust sound. It makes no reference to a visual inspection (other than holes or leaks, etc).

Old 01-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by LightsOut
your wrong buddy! any modification done to vehicle is illegal in Cali. Yes we all do it, but its illegal. Cops dont bust everyone cause then they'll have to pull every car over.
You can still get a fix a ticket for having a carb sticker on your intake. Its a fix a ticket that must be corrected.
If your upgrading oem part that the car comes with then cops wouldn't tell the difference. (thats a loophole)

In his case G35 didn't come with a Nismo exhaust.
So explain to me why I have a friend that got pulled over on his bike for illegal lights (they were illegal since they're not DOT approved) and the cop was looking for that and said for them to be legal they must be legal?

Or why there are exhaust systems that state "50 state legal" and if you get pulled over for it, an officer will ask you if you have documentation stating that the exhaust system is legal and complies with CA emissions?

In that case, putting on different wheels on a car is illegal, and is a modification according to your statement, and they most certainly are not.

Like you said, I can get a ticket for an intake with carb number and I have. The cop was stupid, even said my engine was illegal, I asked why and they didn't know why it just "looked" illegal..it's because I had a 350z cover on my engine that was painted. Cops will through around the idea of something being illegal if they are unfamiliar with it.

My point is, how is modifying a vehicle illegal...especially when I have had cops tell me directly, if you're going to modify your car, that's fine, just do so by the vehicle code.

Another example, changing the suspension by installing coilovers or springs is illegal according to your statement, however, they are perfectly legal as long as the lowest part of the body (maybe chassis? forgot which one, but it probably is the body since that is where they measured for me) is at least 4" above the ground and the center of the headlights must be I believe 22" above the ground. Lowering the vehicle is legal, it's the drop height that determines at which point it becomes illegal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Ticket, Need Your Input