Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Exhaust Ticket, Need Your Input

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^ yeea yeaa i hear ya
imma see what i can do, but most def. i'm not gonna lose this

Old 01-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by donpisto
At least they were nice enough to write correctable...i got a non-correctable for intake yet was told to take it to state ref, lol...got non-correctable for my wheels too because they rub
you can also get a ticket if your tires stick out past your fenders wells, like all the flush people are due to the fact that the wheels can throw rocks up which the only way to make em legal would to have mud guards that cover the wheel so it prevents rock throwing.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why does that one guy presume anything we put on our car that doesnt come with the car is illegal o.O

fight it law! well support u

Old 01-16-2010, 04:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a ref ticket for the same thing. Just go to the ref with the nismo exhaust (assuming you are running stock cats and a carb exempt intake). No need to fight it since it will be the same thing in the end. The ref will check your engine bay and oil level to make sure it is safe to run the motor. They will rev your engine to about 4500rpm to check the decibel level. They then give you a certificate and send it into the court and pay the basic fix it ticket fee which is now $25 I believe. If you have any questions PM me and I'll be happy to help you out.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:59 AM
Originally Posted by SxSkyLinexS
why does that one guy presume anything we put on our car that doesnt come with the car is illegal o.O

fight it law! well support u
fsho! wish g35driver was the courtroom hahaha!

Originally Posted by oyoquem
I got a ref ticket for the same thing. Just go to the ref with the nismo exhaust (assuming you are running stock cats and a carb exempt intake). No need to fight it since it will be the same thing in the end. The ref will check your engine bay and oil level to make sure it is safe to run the motor. They will rev your engine to about 4500rpm to check the decibel level. They then give you a certificate and send it into the court and pay the basic fix it ticket fee which is now $25 I believe. If you have any questions PM me and I'll be happy to help you out.
Ohh fsure, good looks man. Glad to see someone who's been in my position. Looks like it won't be too bad then, is it still free to take it to ref station? If so, that's exactly what imma do.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:06 AM
Originally Posted by Law to the Rence
Ohh fsure, good looks man. Glad to see someone who's been in my position. Looks like it won't be too bad then, is it still free to take it to ref station? If so, that's exactly what imma do.
Mine was about a year ago and it was free for the ref inspection. I got mine done at East LA Collge. If you are lowered I don't recommend going there lol. It is not lowered friendly.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:12 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
The cop was an @ss...

Cat back exhausts are completely legal as long as it passes the db test. And with a 96 db limit, your Nismo exhaust is nowhere close.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by oyoquem
Mine was about a year ago and it was free for the ref inspection. I got mine done at East LA Collge. If you are lowered I don't recommend going there lol. It is not lowered friendly.
wow fml, any other alternative?
i think i'm just gonna go to the police station and tell them to sign it off on the spot...hopefully the cops there aren't as ignorant as the one that pulled me over

Old 01-16-2010, 03:45 PM
wow fml, any other alternative?
i think i'm just gonna go to the police station and tell them to sign it off on the spot...hopefully the cops there aren't as ignorant as the one that pulled me over
There are multiple ref stations. All I was saying is make an appointment at any other one. The refs tend to be at junior colleges. Rio Hondo is another that I know of.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:30 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Why would anyone want to deal with a CA. State operated Ref Station. Some peckerwood doof trying to figure out what he's supposed to look for, that's B.S.! Any Sheriff station should be able to sign off your ticket, you're not over the db level so don't sweat it!
Gary

Old 01-17-2010, 03:34 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I know here it is illegal to change your cats unless you have had an accident or they go out... I was just lucky because I ripped mine out in an accident so I got aftermarket ones.

good luck with your ticket.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
So....let us know how you did with the sign off. Any of us could get a ticket for exhaust OE or aftermarket. If our state needs more $ they should concentrate on drivers using their cells. I could have passed out 20 violations today just driving across town....
Gary

Old 01-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
So....let us know how you did with the sign off. Any of us could get a ticket for exhaust OE or aftermarket. If our state needs more $ they should concentrate on drivers using their cells. I could have passed out 20 violations today just driving across town....
Gary
I will keep everyone posted. I'm going to wait for the rain to calm down a bit before visiting the popo to get it signed off. Should be a piece of cake.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:21 PM
I will keep everyone posted. I'm going to wait for the rain to calm down a bit before visiting the popo to get it signed off. Should be a piece of cake.
When I had my ticket, I tried to have CHP sign it off. They said they would only sign it off if I put my stock exhaust back on because they don't do decibel tests. To get the aftermarket exhaust signed off I had to go to the ref. They gave me a certificate with a state seal that my exhaust is legal. Now I carry a copy in case I get bugged about it again.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:28 PM
update:
just stopped by 3 agencies...none of them could help me...this really shows how screwed up the US system is, we claim equality and justice but really, the gov't can give a rat's as$ because they just want our $$$.

First stop was University of California Police Department (UCPD) because it was the nearest police department. They told me they can't sign off tickets but told me that the Riverside Police Department could, so i got directions and all that and i was on my way.

So i drove to downtown Riverside to the Riverside Police Department. There was no public parking at the cop station so i parked at the meter and put in like $1. I walk in and as soon as i show them the ticket, the guy tells me that only CHP could sign off exhaust tickets, he hands me a sheet of paper with directions and off i go, again.

So then i drove all the way to the other side of Riverside to the CHP station. I walk in, show them my citation and they tell me that they can't sign off exhaust tickets. They tell me that i have to call the Bureau of Automotive Repair, aka the ref station. So now i just wasted my whole afternoon driving around in rain, and i still got nothing done because damn 5-0 don't wanna do their job.

In other words, i have no choice but to go ref station & this is complete BS. Why even mark it as correctable violation if there's no way to get it signed off?
If this is how justice is defined then i'm really ashamed. What happened to innocent until proven guilty. Right now i feel like i'm guilty until i can prove myself innocent

/ rant

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Ticket, Need Your Input