Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Has anyone gone to Big Bear with the G recently?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Has anyone gone to Big Bear with the G recently?

This is my first time going there. I was wondering what are the road conditions like? Are there any places I should stop by or shouldn't stop by.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did it on the week before christmas. Almost died. lol

Road condition report that day was clear. Took a friend for snowboarding at snow summit. Left early in the morning. Bad Idea since I was using my G coupe on summer tires.

On a straight section, I noticed my car started tilting sideways to the left. I panicked a little bit and almost slam my brake. I downshifted and give a little gas while trying to steer to the right while my car still sliding to the left side.

At this time I'm already in the oncoming lane and still sliding sideways. I was slow enough that finally I hit a pile of snow on the side of the road before I stopped. My friend was scared shitless. Thank god it was early in the morning so no oncoming car going down the road.

I drop the gear to first and got away from oncoming lane as soon as I can. My friend almost cried and she asked if I did that on purpose. I told her I was scared as hell too.

So yeah....it's been clear but be cautious for black ice when you heading early morning.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
As you can tell it's a very bad idea until spring. Would you really like to put chains on your G? Unless you're running OE tires without mods, then I'd still rent a car for the day. We've seen this Big Bear trip question before and the answer is always the same...Gary

Old 02-06-2012, 01:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ichigoismyhomie
Did it on the week before christmas. Almost died. lol

Road condition report that day was clear. Took a friend for snowboarding at snow summit. Left early in the morning. Bad Idea since I was using my G coupe on summer tires.

On a straight section, I noticed my car started tilting sideways to the left. I panicked a little bit and almost slam my brake. I downshifted and give a little gas while trying to steer to the right while my car still sliding to the left side.

At this time I'm already in the oncoming lane and still sliding sideways. I was slow enough that finally I hit a pile of snow on the side of the road before I stopped. My friend was scared shitless. Thank god it was early in the morning so no oncoming car going down the road.

I drop the gear to first and got away from oncoming lane as soon as I can. My friend almost cried and she asked if I did that on purpose. I told her I was scared as hell too.

So yeah....it's been clear but be cautious for black ice when you heading early morning.
we went when it was snowing and we were so scared since car kept sliding right towards the mountains (we were going up), it was so bad people got outta the car and held it from the back!

get chains to be safe! or take the back road

Old 02-11-2012, 02:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went there bout a month ago, had no problems whatsoever. It wasnt snowing, roads werent too icy either. I was racing through the mountains and didnt scare the passengers too much, besides getting a ticket for going over the double yellow lines, i had no issues.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DONT USE CHAINS ON A G35!!!!!

ARE YOU PEOPLE REALLY THAT STUPID?

Seriously, just don't go early morning when there is ice on the road.

I'm going up next weekend. Even though its snowing this week, roads should be clear before Saturday. Leaving DTLA around 10 or 11am so I don't encounter the morning road ice.

Also might want to go up through Highway 38 rather than 330. Its less mountainous if that makes sense...fewer very narrow roads. Longer distance wise, but a much easier drive. Obv won't work for going to Snow Valley, but for Big Bear, its fine. Also avoid taking 18 from Lucerne Valley. Very short road, but the sun doesn't hit there as much and the ice danger is much more severe.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sternroolz
DONT USE CHAINS ON A G35!!!!!

ARE YOU PEOPLE REALLY THAT STUPID?

Seriously, just don't go early morning when there is ice on the road.

I'm going up next weekend. Even though its snowing this week, roads should be clear before Saturday. Leaving DTLA around 10 or 11am so I don't encounter the morning road ice.

Also might want to go up through Highway 38 rather than 330. Its less mountainous if that makes sense...fewer very narrow roads. Longer distance wise, but a much easier drive. Obv won't work for going to Snow Valley, but for Big Bear, its fine. Also avoid taking 18 from Lucerne Valley. Very short road, but the sun doesn't hit there as much and the ice danger is much more severe.
the back road has less switch backs and is the easier route up. but it takes 30-40 minutes longer.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Simply, WHY?! Just get a rental and you don't have to worry about a thing.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
decided not to go... haha thanks for the input tho