Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

AAM Spacer+ECU Reset=ALOT OF FUNNNN!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up AAM Spacer+ECU Reset=ALOT OF FUNNNN!!

seriously, i was a skeptic of both 'mods' to our cars....but I must say, I am just amazed at the difference it makes and how little it costs to enjoy the extra gain....

I feel the biggest difference in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear...it's soo good I can't stop smiling while I'm driving it...

Another thing I noticed since the ECU reset last night is that my exhaust tone changed a bit...it has more aggressive tone now than before...i'm wondering if I had an exhaust leak coming from somewhere but so far I haven't found any leak yet...has anyone else notice this?

Old 06-10-2005, 02:30 PM
what does this aam spacer do? if you want more power, why didn't you get the upper intake manifold? i've heard some really good things about it..

Old 06-10-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Xtrm300zX
what does this aam spacer do? if you want more power, why didn't you get the upper intake manifold? i've heard some really good things about it..
it's an intake manifold spacer....sits between the head and the intake manifold...i got the 1/2 inch one. pretty much does what the upper intake manifold does---allows for more air....people have dynoed with it and saw 10-15hp gains....for about $230.

Old 06-10-2005, 02:36 PM
yah but you pay a little more, and you get the whole upper and lower intake manifold..

Old 06-10-2005, 02:43 PM
yah but you pay a little more, and you get the whole upper and lower intake manifold..
i guess so, but i didn't feel the need to replace the whole manifold especially when the spacer gives you similar gains for alot less....they both give you around 10hp gains, the spacer costs $230, the manifold costs around $370.

Old 06-10-2005, 02:47 PM
i believe you can get a lot more then 10 out of it if you give it a little polish (since it's already ported) the stock manifold can be P&P'd as well for some nice gains

Old 06-10-2005, 02:53 PM
i believe you can get a lot more then 10 out of it if you give it a little polish (since it's already ported) the stock manifold can be P&P'd as well for some nice gains
oh I'm sure I can port and polish the stock manifold to see more gains, but I'm not really looking to do that kind of work. The spacer was easy to install, cheap to buy and gave me pretty much what I wanted. I'm sure when I decide to do some more serious work done to my motor, I'll definitely consider that option. But for now, this is good enough!

Trending Topics

Old 06-10-2005, 03:40 PM
G Kreuzer
Hoon,
Did you get the AAM or Motordyne spacer?

Spacer (or plenum) mod shouldn't change your exhaust note ... what you might be hearing is the change in induction noise. Glad you are enjoying the mod like many others.

Xtrm300zX,
The performance of an upper plenum mod vs. spacer mod is on par with eachother. They both achieve the same thing, that is to increase plenum volume and clearance for the inlet horns to breath. Independant dyno results have also shown the two to be virtually neck to neck. At 1/3 of the cost, spacer is the winner IMHO.

Last edited by THX723; 06-10-2005 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by THX723
Hoon,
Did you get the AAM or Motordyne spacer?

Spacer (or plenum) mod shouldn't change your exhaust note ... what you might be hearing is the change in induction noise. Glad you are enjoying the mod like many others.

HI CLINT!

I got the AAM spacer.

hahaha....well, the exhaust tone actually changed after the 1st freeway runs following the ECU reset...it's weird...

Old 06-10-2005, 05:11 PM
What did you pay for the AAM spacer? How does that price compare with the Motordyne one? I think I'll pick one up... anyone recommend a shop?

Old 06-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by wickedG35
What did you pay for the AAM spacer? How does that price compare with the Motordyne one? I think I'll pick one up... anyone recommend a shop?
i got it from grupp-s for about $240 shipped.

Old 06-14-2005, 02:01 AM
Originally Posted by wickedG35
Wick, I think this will be my next mod also. Keep me in the loop, if you hear of a good shop, I will go there also...

Old 06-14-2005, 02:02 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I got the Motordyne spacer from that group buy we had for $170 installed. I bought the 1/2 inch spacer like you and I agree on the HP gains. I actually didn't notice any difference during normal driving. But from stand still to WOT it flies like a bat out of hell. I did the ECU reset when I got home just to make sure the engine adjusted correctly. It's the best bang for the buck mod I ever spent on my car. I like this mod better than the plenum because of obvious reasons. One it's cheaper for similar gains, two I don't have to exchange my plenumm for another and three the install was a breeze. With Tony's assistance it took a little over 1/2 hr to install the spacer try doing that to a plenum swap.

If you guys want someone local PM Tony his sign in name is Hydrazine. He will sell you the spacer for a reasonable price. He lives in Valencia it took me an hour to get to his house but it was worth the drive for me. He makes three sizes 1/2", 3/8", 1/4" the bigger the spacer the more money it is. It's still reasonable and the material he uses is top notch.

Last edited by glennp_1999; 06-14-2005 at 02:07 AM.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:05 AM
Wick, this install sounds pretty easy. Should do it ourselves eh?

Old 06-14-2005, 02:39 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by irvine78
seriously, i was a skeptic of both 'mods' to our cars....but I must say, I am just amazed at the difference it makes and how little it costs to enjoy the extra gain....

I feel the biggest difference in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear...it's soo good I can't stop smiling while I'm driving it...

Another thing I noticed since the ECU reset last night is that my exhaust tone changed a bit...it has more aggressive tone now than before...i'm wondering if I had an exhaust leak coming from somewhere but so far I haven't found any leak yet...has anyone else notice this?
Have you noticed any pinging from the ECU re-mapping?... I'm planning on getting it done, but Sammy @ Stillen mentioned it's noticable on dyno and now there's a thread that someone had it set back to factory specs becasue of excessive pinging. Has it been a problem for you?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AAM Spacer+ECU Reset=ALOT OF FUNNNN!!