Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

CHP ALL OVER the 5 fwy!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by codeflux
damn! i hit 144 on Hwy 5 two weeks ago.
You did it just in time!!! I'm keeping my high speeds to freeways other than the 5 (at least for now)... If they are adding extra patrol (I think they said 250 state wide) to the 5, it must mean less on all other fwys!!!

Old 06-18-2005, 04:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
You did it just in time!!! I'm keeping my high speeds to freeways other than the 5 (at least for now)... If they are adding extra patrol (I think they said 250 state wide) to the 5, it must mean less on all other fwys!!!
144 on the 5????????

I don't think I've ever broke 80 except out past Bakersfield.

Speaking of the 5, does everyone notice how f-ed up that fwy is between the 10 and the 710? The road pulls me all over the place.

Old 06-18-2005, 04:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sternroolz
144 on the 5????????

I don't think I've ever broke 80 except out past Bakersfield.

Speaking of the 5, does everyone notice how f-ed up that fwy is between the 10 and the 710? The road pulls me all over the place.

Ok I thought it was my low pros doing that but yes, same here...

Old 06-18-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by sternroolz

Especially it the fast lane!!! Tax dollars hard at work!

Old 06-18-2005, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn! Good thing I didn't go 5 today to go to Autobac... phew

Old 06-19-2005, 12:01 AM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know about this zero tolerance thing or getting a ticket for going 3 MPH over.. but nobody drives that fast on the 5. If you are just following the flow of traffic i cannot imagine they would pull you over, they'd have to pull everyone else infront and behind you over as well.

I don't think it's that necessary to be flying swerving in and out between other cars.. the fast lane on the 5 (when there's no traffic.. it's not like you can go fast with traffic anyway) goes about 80-85 anyway. Isn't that fast enougH?

Old 06-19-2005, 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by mc2
I don't know about this zero tolerance thing or getting a ticket for going 3 MPH over.. but nobody drives that fast on the 5. If you are just following the flow of traffic i cannot imagine they would pull you over, they'd have to pull everyone else infront and behind you over as well.

I don't think it's that necessary to be flying swerving in and out between other cars.. the fast lane on the 5 (when there's no traffic.. it's not like you can go fast with traffic anyway) goes about 80-85 anyway. Isn't that fast enougH?
that's the point, there's a higher risk of getting a ticket now if you're going 80-85... On the 5 anyway. As far following the flow of traffic - I'm not taking the chance. You're right they can't pull over everyone and they don't. But they are going to pull someone over. And based on the information that they have added more patrol the chance of that someone being you (or me or whoever is speeding) is much greater.

Like I said before, I thought it was a one-day thing (based on the news report) but I've heard from others that it may not be. So the reason for the post was just a heads up.

Do you driver the 5 often?…

Old 06-19-2005, 01:22 AM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
that's the point, there's a higher risk of getting a ticket now if you're going 80-85... On the 5 anyway. As far following the flow of traffic - I'm not taking the chance. You're right they can't pull over everyone and they don't. But they are going to pull someone over. And based on the information that they have added more patrol the chance of that someone being you (or me or whoever is speeding) is much greater.

Like I said before, I thought it was a one-day thing (based on the news report) but I've heard from others that it may not be. So the reason for the post was just a heads up.

Do you driver the 5 often?…
I don't drive the 5 daily, but i drive it often enough on weekend and such. I've always thought it was very hard to get a ticket in california. First off everybody in your lane is already driving 85. Secondly there's no place for Cops to hide. I went to school in PA and along side the highways are just trees and bushes. The cops tuck themsmselves into those trees so by the time you see them it's too late. But in california it's just concrete barriers on both sides so i imagine you could see a cop from hundreds of feet away.

So are you saying you don't think it's safe to drive the same speed as everyone else? I don't think it's too bad.. but then of course there's still always the risk i suppose. But i cannot imagine driving 55, as most highways rae in SoCal, would be realistic either?

Old 06-19-2005, 01:42 AM
Originally Posted by mc2
I don't drive the 5 daily, but i drive it often enough on weekend and such. I've always thought it was very hard to get a ticket in california. First off everybody in your lane is already driving 85. Secondly there's no place for Cops to hide. I went to school in PA and along side the highways are just trees and bushes. The cops tuck themsmselves into those trees so by the time you see them it's too late. But in california it's just concrete barriers on both sides so i imagine you could see a cop from hundreds of feet away.

So are you saying you don't think it's safe to drive the same speed as everyone else? I don't think it's too bad.. but then of course there's still always the risk i suppose. But i cannot imagine driving 55, as most highways rae in SoCal, would be realistic either?
I got pulled over a few months ago entering the 5 north at Fourth... I was accelerating to merge to the far left since the lane you enter on becomes an immediate off ramp and there's a junction to the 22 and 57 only a short distance ahead... Anyway, the officer said he clocked me doing 80 and still accelerating. I told him my reason for accelerating but there was no way I was doing 80. I think he realized I would fight it in court so gave me no seatbelt ticket only.

My point is, it's not the ones stopped on the side that you have to worry about... the ones driving behind you are the ones that will get you! And as you are aware, there are so many cars on our freeways, sometimes you just don’t see 'em. They can be real stealth.

I'm not saying it isn't safe to drive the speed of traffic; safety isn’t even what I was warning about. I'm more cautious on the 5 due to added CHP. The only freeway I mentioned is the 5, I haven't heard that other freeways have added enforcement. Just giving everyone the heads up.

BTW, the speed limit in most So Cal areas is 65, not 55

Anyway, good luck. Hope you don't get a ticket.

Old 06-20-2005, 12:32 PM
It's not just the 5, I got popped over the weekend on the 73 @ university for 80. Bastard came out of no where and got in my left side blind spot, paced me and pulled me over. Thats my second pace ticket in 10 months. ARGH!! So my 8500 was completely in effective, the great thing about it since I know its a zero tolerance period for speeding, I didn't worry about being rude to the CHP which was rather refreshing for once. Hey, anybody want to have a GTG at the Harbor Superiour court on 7/28 @ 8:00am

Old 06-20-2005, 12:44 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

no this isnt on the 5 -__-

Old 06-20-2005, 12:50 PM
WooooHoooo Klumzyee!!!! Nice! That must have been a blast! How are you able to get to that speed at only 6K RPM?...

Last edited by OCG35; 06-20-2005 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by jtrudeau
It's not just the 5, I got popped over the weekend on the 73 @ university for 80. Bastard came out of no where and got in my left side blind spot, paced me and pulled me over. Thats my second pace ticket in 10 months. ARGH!! So my 8500 was completely in effective, the great thing about it since I know its a zero tolerance period for speeding, I didn't worry about being rude to the CHP which was rather refreshing for once. Hey, anybody want to have a GTG at the Harbor Superiour court on 7/28 @ 8:00am
two in 10 months - that sucks! Did you go to traffic school on the other one? You can't get them both wiped off, but having only one on your record is better than two (for insurance premiums). It's a boring 8-9 hour day, but worth it.

Good luck ~

Old 06-20-2005, 04:17 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
WooooHoooo Klumzyee!!!! Nice! That must have been a blast! How are you able to get to that speed at only 6K RPM?...
05 6MT... yeah it was pretty cool.. lol it was on the 71fwy at 6am on sunday in the carpool lane.. cruised from one end of 71 to the other.

i owned alot of bugs tho =( lol. it felt pretty safe at that speed too.. and i dont have the aeropackage

edit: before anyone asks.. no i did not try to turn at that speed.. took like a 165degree bend without effort

Old 06-20-2005, 04:20 PM
I went to school for the first one, and since I do (except for recently) have an overall good driving record, I'm gonna appear in court and ask the judge to grant me the ability to attend traffic school.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CHP ALL OVER the 5 fwy!!!