GrandSport Group Track Day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DonnieO
Great question! Payment is up front. If we have 40 people sign up then I will have 10k and refund the $6650.00 among the 40! The high "buy in" is mainly just to cover my butt since I put up the $3350.00.
So it's not going to be limited to the first 20 or is it?

Old 07-29-2009, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by Black Betty
So it's not going to be limited to the first 20 or is it?
It will not be limited to 20. We just didn't want 100 people seeing it on the forums and everyone thinking that it would be a full track day for 33.50! After about 25-30 or so, I will email everyone and get a general consensus if they want to have more or not. I think that most would rather spend 150 and have less people than 75 and it be packed.

Trying to be very flexible and open to suggestions but we will never please everyone as you can expect.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:27 AM
sweet, keep us updated

it may be worthless for me though since I think i'm up at school already :-/

come to TWS the 15th! Then use what you learn at GS the next week

Old 07-30-2009, 02:40 AM
ok maybe bad news about the TWS thing - I just looked and registration is open but there's no Green (rookie) group, just the next groups. I emailed them hoping I can do it since I've done HPDE before and I've seen the track, but I'm thinking anyone who's a total beginner probably won't be able to go.... oh well, I'm not even sure if I'll be allowed to register :-/

Old 07-30-2009, 07:42 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by popcornten
ok maybe bad news about the TWS thing - I just looked and registration is open but there's no Green (rookie) group, just the next groups. I emailed them hoping I can do it since I've done HPDE before and I've seen the track, but I'm thinking anyone who's a total beginner probably won't be able to go.... oh well, I'm not even sure if I'll be allowed to register :-/
That can't be good. Although, where on the site are you seeing that? This is all i could find and it does mention green/blue groups.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Trust me, after 20 minutes you will be tired and need to rest usually. Then after 4-6 sessions you are dead beat. No way someone can run all day out there for 8 hours. Plus the car won't take that abuse either for that long without cool down times.

Some tracks limit your time behind the wheel too, as the driver gets more fatigue the longer he is out there and could be a hazard.
When I instructed at TX Z Party, I was on the track from 9am until noon. My car never shut off, except to put gas in it.
In the afternoon, the car still ran 2/3 of the time and I was instructing in all the run groups I wasn't driving in.
So umm yeah.. I was in the car for 8 hours that day in 100 deg heat.
Tired I was. Survived the car did.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Wow..sorry I missed out on the conversations...

AJ - sorry can't make it on the 15th to spectate b/c the wife and I have some prior plans. But I think I just read there you may not be going b/c there are no novice groups?

So I have a question (Sorry if it's off topic) I'm sure most are SCCA member here but has anyone heard about NASA? No I don't mean the one in clear lake. I mean this http://www.nasaproracing.com/

What is the difference between them and SCCA? It seems they are geared towards novice and experienced drivers much like SCCA? I'm an absolute beginner so I figure whenever I have the funds to start playing on the track I'd like to join either or both organizations. Thanks!

Old 07-30-2009, 02:29 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
NASA was created by ex-SCCA members. From what i've learned it was mostly because certain things were too hard to implement with the SCCA, such as other types of run groups, so they decided to start their own. NASA should also have slightly more affordable rates compared to similar offerings from SCCA.

Additionally, NASA tends to have less stewards/people on the ground during an event and their insurance coverage isn't as high as SCCA. Generally, NASA is more "laid-back" and there have been occasions where they have drivers of various skills all run at the same time.

Again, these are just from what i've learned as i haven't been to a NASA-sponsored event.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by soundmike
That can't be good. Although, where on the site are you seeing that? This is all i could find and it does mention green/blue groups.
they do their registration through www.clubregistration.net

it's VERY hard to find, I had to look through my Mozilla history to find the website but that's where they register. Search for tracks, then TWS and it'll bring up the events... I'm still waiting on an email reply

Old 07-31-2009, 10:18 PM
As Mike said, NASA is an offshoot of SCCA. A Bunch of people got mad at the way SCCA was run and they started their own thing. They have much the same structure, but have tried to make things more affordable for the amateur and have many more classes suited to the low-budget racer (Camaro-Mustang Challenge and the like).
They also offer Performance Touring which is a kind of run-what-you-brung group where your car is given a certain base class and then they bump you up classes based on your mods and car prep. It's a great way to let cars of similar performance levels but WAY different build schemes compete. i.e. I could turbo my 240SX with an SR or a KA (or other) and run in there, whereas I can't run anywhere in SCCA if I turbo the KA.

Before you get to "real" racing, they also offer Time Trials where they stick a bunch of you on track at the same time but you're not necessarily racing for position- you drive for the fastest lap time of the group during a 15-20 minute session.

NASA also offers their HPDE (high performance driver education) groups which are what we're looking at. They start with the basics and then work up to full wheel to wheel racing in a structured environment. They really try to bridge the gap between track events and full blown road racing- which is seriously lacking in SCCA.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:04 AM
just wanna warn you guys, it's been over a month and I'm still getting the run around from David about getting a refund he owes me. He tells me he already did it 3 weeks ago, when I had an email from him LESS than 2 weeks ago saying he'll do it that day. Then now he tells me the lady doesn't have my credit card info to refund me... but then she found it - how could he have done it before if he didn't have it...

So I just wanna warn you guys about doing business with them. I loved driving the track, but I don't think I'll be going back to soon because of this. It's absolutely ridiculous, I don't know if he's flat out lying to me and not ever going to send me my money or if he's seriously having issues. Either way it's fvcked up and I'll be calling the BBB if I don't get my money in another week.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:35 PM
D00d.. it's like $45.. move on with life. It's not worth getting that worked up over. don't badmouth them all over the planet for $45. jsut move on with life.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by popcornten
just wanna warn you guys, it's been over a month and I'm still getting the run around from David about getting a refund he owes me.
Sorry to hear that. I sent him a check for #3350.00 and the next day he called and asked if I could wire the money. I explained it was already in the mail. I went on ahead and wired the money to their bank. He said he would send the check back and I got it back within a few days.

I don't think he is out to screw anyone. If so $3350.00 would have been worth it and not $45.00. They have a corporate office in Az so I'm sure it is the mixup of everyone not being in the same place and on the same sheet of music.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:03 AM
Originally Posted by Matt93SE
D00d.. it's like $45.. move on with life. It's not worth getting that worked up over. don't badmouth them all over the planet for $45. jsut move on with life.
the dollar value isn't the issue, it's the fact that they're so unorganized and he keeps giving me the run around. he told me to send him my fax number and he'll fax me the credit receipt, that didn't happen

Originally Posted by DonnieO
Sorry to hear that. I sent him a check for #3350.00 and the next day he called and asked if I could wire the money. I explained it was already in the mail. I went on ahead and wired the money to their bank. He said he would send the check back and I got it back within a few days.

I don't think he is out to screw anyone. If so $3350.00 would have been worth it and not $45.00. They have a corporate office in Az so I'm sure it is the mixup of everyone not being in the same place and on the same sheet of music.

Just my 2 cents worth.
i'm pretty sure its more of them just having terrible customer service or something. Come on man, being in AZ doesn't make it any harder to refund money. After lots of changing what he's saying, his final decision is that it was "officially" sent the 24th and I'll just wait to hear from my bank if it's an issue with them.

Hopefully your trackday goes well! It's a really fun track to drive, I move to Austin the 21st so I wouldn't be able to make it