Phantom Air Cup Kit Suspension Now Offered at Statik Performance!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 09:03 AM
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by mrwong@statik
It really depends on how the system is installed. How we did it on my G was remove the preload from the spring so when there is no air in it. It is on the ground however full travel is still used. We just had to compensate for the 1.5 the cup takes at the top of the coil by dropping the spring from the top instead of the height adjustment from the bottom. When fully aired up it does ride stiffer by it pretty much changes the spring rate by about 2kg (Example is 10/8 Spring setup will turn into a 12/10 Spring setup when fully aired. So this is still within the safe area of the tophat.)
Cannot quite follow all of what you are saying. Most coilovers that are available today have separate adjustment points for the ride height and spring preload. All i know is ith my setup, it gets stiff as hell on air. Working on a custom microcontroller to program the system to only run the required amount of air to raise the car vs raise and compress the spring at the end of shock travel which should help reduce the ride harshness.

The cups do transfer the load to the top hat since that is where it is mounted. No Load is transfered to the rubber bushing on the shaft..
Can you provide better pics to show this? In the stock image above you can see that the top hat metal is not contacting the cup. A lot of the coilovers today have a ring that is installed on the shaft and then a washer that has a relief for that ring sites on the ring and then you bolt the top hat on to the shaft. The rubber bushing is captured by the washer and a washer that is on top of the rubber bushing. If you put the cup between the ring and the top hat you will not have enough threads on the shaft most likely to get the nut on or if you have an adjuster **** there will not be enough room. If you put the cup under the ring/washer then the top hat installs like normal but now you need a spacer between the cup and top hat so that the cup is not touching the ring/washer combo.

Mine is about 5 inches Front and 4 Inches Rear. This is also using the Independent suspension not the true type.
Careful with overstating the lifting ability/actual. The cups can only lift the amount of spring that is compressed from the weight of the car.

Suspension geometry will multiply that height since the spring is mounted on a pivot.

SPL has an excel sheet calculator for the OEM rear.

http://cdn.splparts.com/tech/SpringCalculator.xls

Can you show pics of your oem rear solution? That is what I am using as well and thought I was the only one.

I wish you had offered this kit when I was looking. I had to deal with Umbrella first on mygtr which was not pleasant at all and was looking for a cup vendor for a long time....finally a new one popped up that was willing to work with me.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:57 AM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
Originally Posted by Cux350z
Cannot quite follow all of what you are saying. Most coilovers that are available today have separate adjustment points for the ride height and spring preload. All i know is ith my setup, it gets stiff as hell on air. Working on a custom microcontroller to program the system to only run the required amount of air to raise the car vs raise and compress the spring at the end of shock travel which should help reduce the ride harshness.

Can you provide better pics to show this? In the stock image above you can see that the top hat metal is not contacting the cup. A lot of the coilovers today have a ring that is installed on the shaft and then a washer that has a relief for that ring sites on the ring and then you bolt the top hat on to the shaft. The rubber bushing is captured by the washer and a washer that is on top of the rubber bushing. If you put the cup between the ring and the top hat you will not have enough threads on the shaft most likely to get the nut on or if you have an adjuster **** there will not be enough room. If you put the cup under the ring/washer then the top hat installs like normal but now you need a spacer between the cup and top hat so that the cup is not touching the ring/washer combo.

Careful with overstating the lifting ability/actual. The cups can only lift the amount of spring that is compressed from the weight of the car.

Suspension geometry will multiply that height since the spring is mounted on a pivot.

Can you show pics of your oem rear solution? That is what I am using as well and thought I was the only one.

I wish you had offered this kit when I was looking. I had to deal with Umbrella first on mygtr which was not pleasant at all and was looking for a cup vendor for a long time....finally a new one popped up that was willing to work with me.
You have a F/R Exotic Air cup kit right? I think I recall seeing your thread over on my350z.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:58 AM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
Originally Posted by AmateuRN
Had a cup kit for a few months and liked it. Not great for slammed guys, but nice for those that are moderately lowered.
Curious to hear you opinion related to this for slammed cars.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:27 PM
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by CandlestickPark
You have a F/R Exotic Air cup kit right? I think I recall seeing your thread over on my350z.
Correct. These kits look nearly identical except price and finish color.

I am just trying to make sure everyone knows the challenges of these cup kits. they are not just simple bolt on and ride out. Lots of things to consider.

The following users liked this post:
CandlestickPark (01-27-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
How do they mount on the spring on an oem setup??

Old 01-27-2013, 02:34 PM
Received 143 Likes on 105 Posts
Will these work w my bc br oem style coils!???

Old 01-27-2013, 03:59 PM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
possibility of providing a complete kit (already installed on coils) in the future?

Old 01-27-2013, 05:48 PM
Received 318 Likes on 221 Posts
Interest

1. JaygotBoost
2. Rhampsterwha2 (Stance GR+ Supersport "true", 07 g35 coupe)

Before I decide to do a full kit id like to see pics of how you modified you G to make the rear work so I can see if I feel like doing that, (pics of coil with cup and pic of the rear modified mount)

The following 2 users liked this post by rhampsterwha2:
Jaygotboost (01-27-2013), mrwong@statik (01-27-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 06:04 PM
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
I want one so bad, sub.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Cux350z

Sure thing I can take some pics when I get some time and when it clears up.

I could possibly be overstating but from what it looks like 4-5 inches looks about right. But again i didn't have a ruler so it's best guess.

The way mine mount would be the same way it would a normal setup would be. Since Platinum did the install for me. I am not 100% sure but I can take some pictures for you.

Yup and I think i've seen you over on my350z with the Exotic Air Cup Kit.

Originally Posted by Frankieg35
How do they mount on the spring on an oem setup??
The same way you mount the oem spring. In the area where the spring retainer is located on the top. I'll get you pictures so it will go into better detail.

Originally Posted by serges
Will these work w my bc br oem style coils!???
Yes they will.

Originally Posted by viceversa
possibility of providing a complete kit (already installed on coils) in the future?
Sure I can actually offer that now. Depending which coilover you would want. Or if you had coils already you can send them in and all you have to do is pay for shipping back to you.

Originally Posted by rhampsterwha2
Interest

1. JaygotBoost
2. Rhampsterwha2 (Stance GR+ Supersport "true", 07 g35 coupe)

Before I decide to do a full kit id like to see pics of how you modified you G to make the rear work so I can see if I feel like doing that, (pics of coil with cup and pic of the rear modified mount)
Sounds good. I'll get some pictures from Platinum since he was the one who installed that one as well.

Last edited by mrwong@statik; 01-27-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:47 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
The following users liked this post:
Jaygotboost (01-27-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts
Any wireless remote options?

Old 01-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Received 318 Likes on 221 Posts
Sounds good. I'll get some pictures from Platinum since he was the one who installed that one as well.
And that's a true type right? I see that you said you have oem style on your G

Old 01-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Jaygotboost
Any wireless remote options?
In the works but may not be released until later this year.

Originally Posted by rhampsterwha2
And that's a true type right? I see that you said you have oem style on your G
Nope this is the OEM style.

The True Type I have not gotten a video of yet. I will try to get you photos and videos Hampster

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Phantom Air Cup Kit Suspension Now Offered at Statik Performance!!