My Berks finally arrived, but is this normal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 12:33 PM
You're Despicable

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Red face My Berks finally arrived, but is this normal?

So my Berks HFCs arrived today (very happy) but the gaskets seem to have taken a beating, is it normal for them to be so fragile? and would they still be ok to use?

This one looks badly damaged, and I'm not sure if it's ok to use? I've never really looked at or felt exhaust gaskets before so I dunno?

Old 04-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seriously i have no idea but that looks really bad!!!

You should call the place!

Well good luck with that.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Judging by the imprints on that damaged gasket, it looks like it has been clamped in position before.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:18 PM
You're Despicable

Can't I just get the oem gaskets from an Infiniti dealership and fit them instead? They should fit right? and any idea on cost? I don't think it's much

Old 04-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Judging by the imprints on that damaged gasket, it looks like it has been clamped in position before.
+1

I'd be upset, considering the amount of time you waited... just to have used and/or damged parts arrive.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:31 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
Yes you can use oem gaskets

Old 04-07-2009, 02:14 PM
Yea they are extremely fragile. My shop recommended that I use another type of gasket with the multiple layers of metal instead of these.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:25 PM
You're Despicable

Originally Posted by AesonVirus
+1

I'd be upset, considering the amount of time you waited... just to have used and/or damged parts arrive.
Well yeah I am, but to be honest I don't care anymore I just wanted them fitted and a gasket isn't going to stop me, the cats look good though so that's a +

Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
Yes you can use oem gaskets
Cool I think I'll be using those

Originally Posted by ketchupfreak
Yea they are extremely fragile. My shop recommended that I use another type of gasket with the multiple layers of metal instead of these.
Got a pic or link for those gaskets?

Old 04-07-2009, 08:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey! It's look horrible!!! Mine does not lookk totally like yours at all. Call them and have it replace.Where did you ordered them from.If from Berk directly they would be very happy to help you.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:18 AM
You're Despicable

^ Honestly I've waited over 2 months for them just to arrive, the hassle of getting some gaskets from Berks and then shipping it over just isn't worth it anymore, I'll just get the oem gaskets and use them instead. but thanks for the feed back, it's good to know that they weren't supposed to come like that.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:43 AM
Damn those look horrible!

If I were you I would at least give Berks a call and see if they can send you an extra set. If they have good service I'm sure they'll send you a replacement at no cost. If not, go ahead and use the stock gaskets. Just my 2cent

Old 04-08-2009, 02:23 AM
You're Despicable

If the gaskets were to get sent over by themselves then I'd be very surprised if they don't get damaged in transport (they're easily damaged and dented), also the cost of sending just the gaskets alone will probably be more than the gaskets themselves. Thirdly I cannot put the entire blame on Berks as the excessive damage (especially in the last pic) was probably due to improper handling of the box after it left Berks' premises. What I can put the blame on Berks is the fact that the gaskets seem to have already been put on car (not sure what state others are getting their gaskets in) if anyone's willing to post a pic of their gasket when they received the HFCs I'd really appreciate it.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:54 AM
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Yeah, that's pretty normal.. The Grafoil material that these gaskets are made of is petty fragile. Mine looked about the same as yours and I picked mine up at Berk. LOL When I took them to GTM to install they said they would be fine... most of the brand new gaskets they had on their shelf looked very similar, so I wasn't too worried about it. They said this Grafoil material was MUCH better for these high flow cats and they wouldn't recommend using different gaskets. I have had no problems so far, so I'm happy. I think you should be fine too.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:09 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
There you go Maz, you can relax now and just get your stuff installed already

Old 04-08-2009, 05:42 AM
You're Despicable

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Yeah, that's pretty normal.. The Grafoil material that these gaskets are made of is petty fragile. Mine looked about the same as yours and I picked mine up at Berk. LOL When I took them to GTM to install they said they would be fine... most of the brand new gaskets they had on their shelf looked very similar, so I wasn't too worried about it. They said this Grafoil material was MUCH better for these high flow cats and they wouldn't recommend using different gaskets. I have had no problems so far, so I'm happy. I think you should be fine too.
Originally Posted by san~man
There you go Maz, you can relax now and just get your stuff installed already

Sweet, thanks for the reassurance guys, but is it ok to fit the one with the bit that's hanging off? should I just chop it off? or leave it and let them try and squash it while installing it?

I probably won't get around to installing the HFC and Hotchkis ARBs until after the 14th. I'm travelling for a week on Saturday and then coming back here for a week and then travelling again so I hope I can fit it in the one week that I'm back here between my trips.

Last edited by Defratos; 04-08-2009 at 06:01 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Berks finally arrived, but is this normal?