TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
U have normal consumption, REV up chronic consumption, and no consumption. Your chances are 2/3. It really hasn't died down.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JKL1031
U have normal consumption, REV up chronic consumption, and no consumption. Your chances are 2/3. It really hasn't died down.
True. It seemed to me that since activity in the thread had waned, that many had gotten engines replaced and were somewhat ok with the results or had moved on. Or it could be that folks have just gotten used to the consumption.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:10 PM
I've got the same problem, I've just read through all the pages hoping for a cost effective fix. I think everyone has gotten an answer one way or another. I'm too late for the engine replacement under warranty and don't have enough money to fix the issue. I've got a valve tapping noise that is driving me crazy and there is pretty much nothing I can do about unless I wanna spend a $1,000 or more. Was told it was oil? Pushing past the lifters...if I remember correctly. Might need to punt.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by flaya564
I've got the same problem, I've just read through all the pages hoping for a cost effective fix. I think everyone has gotten an answer one way or another. I'm too late for the engine replacement under warranty and don't have enough money to fix the issue. I've got a valve tapping noise that is driving me crazy and there is pretty much nothing I can do about unless I wanna spend a $1,000 or more. Was told it was oil? Pushing past the lifters...if I remember correctly. Might need to punt.
20W50 oil and two bottles of STP oil treatment, then STRAIGHT to the car lot!

Old 12-09-2013, 08:08 PM
20W50 oil and two bottles of STP oil treatment, then STRAIGHT to the car lot!
Lol, That's not the first time I've heard that.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:29 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is this for all G's?

Old 02-14-2014, 12:08 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
No, mostly for 05' and 06' "Rev-Up" motors. (MT6 cars)

Old 02-24-2014, 10:03 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i am considering getting a g35 with some oil burning issue... assuming you top off with high quality synthetic oil, is there any long term negatives? will it progressively worse? has this caused engine failures?

Old 02-24-2014, 03:11 PM
Don't purposely buy an OC G.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:28 PM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Synthetic might burn easier than dino oil.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:14 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mifesto,

I have an 2006 6MT that has had the OC issue since day one. I got the run around from the dealer at first when I was trying to get the engine replaced. After the second Oil Consumption test, and the service crooks trying to tell me it was "borderline", I decided that it was better to keep it as is. Even though I got the go ahead from Infiniti Canada to take it somewhere else or they could call the dealer on my behalf. I decided that in the end, my engine was running great and I didn't trust those morons to re-install my engine without ****ing something else up along the way and then having to deal with that also.
Long story short, the best decision I ever made. My car is 7.5 years old and have yet to give me any I mean any kind of problems (big knock on wood). And believe me I DRIVE her hard. The key to any any OC engine, is check your oil regularly an CHANGE YOUR OIL REGULARLY!!
7.5 years later and two plug changes, I had ZERO oil in any of the plugs or coils.

So as long as the owner took care of the car, OC is just another excuse to do something you should already be doing, taking care of your engine.

Cubes

Old 02-25-2014, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by Cubes
Mifesto,

I have an 2006 6MT that has had the OC issue since day one. I got the run around from the dealer at first when I was trying to get the engine replaced. After the second Oil Consumption test, and the service crooks trying to tell me it was "borderline", I decided that it was better to keep it as is. Even though I got the go ahead from Infiniti Canada to take it somewhere else or they could call the dealer on my behalf. I decided that in the end, my engine was running great and I didn't trust those morons to re-install my engine without ****ing something else up along the way and then having to deal with that also.
Long story short, the best decision I ever made. My car is 7.5 years old and have yet to give me any I mean any kind of problems (big knock on wood). And believe me I DRIVE her hard. The key to any any OC engine, is check your oil regularly an CHANGE YOUR OIL REGULARLY!!
7.5 years later and two plug changes, I had ZERO oil in any of the plugs or coils.

So as long as the owner took care of the car, OC is just another excuse to do something you should already be doing, taking care of your engine.

Cubes

How much do u use, and has it gotten worse? Synthetic does burn easier as it flows like water.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
JKL,

I have only used synthetic since day one....I've experimented with all sort of brands and to some degree different weights (0w-30, 5w-30, 10w-30, 0w-40) but never regular Oil. Some brands burn less than others (or so it seems). The problem is that I haven't been able to do a "true" test because I drive the car differently under different weather and trip conditions. I've tried lucas oil stabilizer and it helped a little. I tried the B2 oil additive also and it also helped a little. Now, all I do is I just make sure I get some decent syn oil (Mobil, Castrol, Penzoil, Valvoline, etc) and check it, top it and change it as often as possible.
I never let it drop below the low line and I never ever go past 3000 mil between changes in fact in the summer sometimes I change it at 2000mil depending on how hard I drive. I also warm up the car before taking off and never rev past 3500 RPM until the temp gauge is starting to move.

She still burns about +/- 1.5qt per 3000mil and to be honest I'm ok with that. It makes me check my engine often and add some fresh fluid in there.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:21 PM
And it begins...

Purchased my 05 DG 6MT with 65K miles in December of 2013 along with a "Platinum" extended warranty as offered by a third party ("The Mechanic") through a BMW dealership - kind of wonky, I get it.

Regardless, I am now one of the lucky Infiniti owners that is beginning the Oil Consumption Test process. Purchased the vehicle in Beaverton, OR a week before I moved to Scottsdale, AZ. After the long road trip, I took the vehicle to get serviced at Infiniti of Scottsdale as a slight engine "knocking" started occurring at about 2100 RPMs while in 4th gear (Date: 1/25/14, Mileage: 67,445). I figured it was low on oil and a full-service dealership oil change would take care of it. Service report states that the vehicle was roughly 3 quarts low, they filled it and scheduled my next service for 70,445.

After leaving the dealership the engine "knocking" subsided and I figured the issue was resolved.

Fast forward to today (3/22/14)...

Noticed the "knocking" again at 70,000 miles and decided to schedule my service early. Again, my thinking was that the oil was getting low. After getting the vehicle serviced this morning, I was shocked at just how low my oil was - I had 1.75 quarts remaining or roughly 4 quarts of consumption (Date: 3/22/14, Mileage: 70,109). Having done my research since the last service, I went into the dealership prepared with the TSB (attached) and spoke with Bob Lawson the service manager. He pulled all of the service records on file for my vehicle and we are beginning the Oil Consumption Test.

Per his guidance, he stated that Infiniti would refuse to replace the engine as the vehicle is no longer under the factory powertrain warranty. However, I advised him that I had purchased a comprehensive aftermarket warranty that should apply at the time I purchased the vehicle. I'm hoping that after the test (I'm almost guaranteeing failure) that my aftermarket warranty will resolve the defect and issue the replacement engine.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I would love to hear about how you leveraged an aftermarket warranty (not issued by Infiniti) to remedy the Oil Consumption issue.

I'll keep you guys posted as this drama unfolds...

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ITB08-002d.pdf (215.7 KB, 166 views)
Old 03-22-2014, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,017 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by jls2442
Purchased my 05 DG 6MT with 65K miles in December of 2013 along with a "Platinum" extended warranty as offered by a third party ("The Mechanic") through a BMW dealership - kind of wonky, I get it. Regardless, I am now one of the lucky Infiniti owners that is beginning the Oil Consumption Test process. Purchased the vehicle in Beaverton, OR a week before I moved to Scottsdale, AZ. After the long road trip, I took the vehicle to get serviced at Infiniti of Scottsdale as a slight engine "knocking" started occurring at about 2100 RPMs while in 4th gear (Date: 1/25/14, Mileage: 67,445). I figured it was low on oil and a full-service dealership oil change would take care of it. Service report states that the vehicle was roughly 3 quarts low, they filled it and scheduled my next service for 70,445. After leaving the dealership the engine "knocking" subsided and I figured the issue was resolved. Fast forward to today (3/22/14)... Noticed the "knocking" again at 70,000 miles and decided to schedule my service early. Again, my thinking was that the oil was getting low. After getting the vehicle serviced this morning, I was shocked at just how low my oil was - I had 1.75 quarts remaining or roughly 4 quarts of consumption (Date: 3/22/14, Mileage: 70,109). Having done my research since the last service, I went into the dealership prepared with the TSB (attached) and spoke with Bob Lawson the service manager. He pulled all of the service records on file for my vehicle and we are beginning the Oil Consumption Test. Per his guidance, he stated that Infiniti would refuse to replace the engine as the vehicle is no longer under the factory powertrain warranty. However, I advised him that I had purchased a comprehensive aftermarket warranty that should apply at the time I purchased the vehicle. I'm hoping that after the test (I'm almost guaranteeing failure) that my aftermarket warranty will resolve the defect and issue the replacement engine. Has anyone had a similar experience? I would love to hear about how you leveraged an aftermarket warranty (not issued by Infiniti) to remedy the Oil Consumption issue. I'll keep you guys posted as this drama unfolds...
Good luck, check the description of your warrantee. These aftermarket warrantee companies usually make a big deal about wheel bearings. They are gonna put 3 people to work trying to figure out how this OC issue can be resolved without replacing the engine .

In the end if your warrantee says engine components you will have no problem.

The following users liked this post:
jls2442 (03-22-2014)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB