G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   TSB- Technical Bulletins (https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-technical-bulletins-12/)
-   -   Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB (https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-technical-bulletins/197305-infiniti-rev-up-oil-consumption-tsb.html)

Gcoupe06 06-26-2008 12:19 AM

Got my car back, what's the number of the updated engine? I just want to check to make sure they really did replace it.

PTownG 06-26-2008 01:49 AM

My tsb oc test is not going well at all. I guess I will have to not try to play it straight and go on the offense.

Took it in and told them it burned 2.5 quarts in 5k miles. They were all rosey and said they would start the test and take care of it.

Took it in for the initial oil change to start the test. They over filled it 1/4" over the high line and filled it with 10/30 despite the tsb saying 5w30. When questioned they denied overfilling it and said infiniti put out a service update saying all vq motors oil stardards has been changed to 10 w30 because it helps with OC. Not what the tsb says, not what the owners manual says and not what they report to CAFE on their fuel economy reports to meet cafe standards.

Took it back at 500 miles for a totally unrelated sensor issue, they said it was down 4mm but it was too early to tell and they didn't top it off. Checked it the next morning before driving it and they totally topped it of, all the way back to the high line, yet put on the work order for the test that it was 4 mm low and they did not top it off.

Overfill, heavier weight oil that they admit reduces the consumption and a top off when they reported to infiniti that they performed no top off. 3 deliberate steps to skew the test. Time to take the gloves off. call to infiniti in the morning, complaint to NTHSB, and another to the CA auto repair oversite dept. I ain't playing on this one.

Pleasanton CA infiniti fyi

V35 Skyline GT 06-26-2008 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Gcoupe06
Got my car back, what's the number of the updated engine? I just want to check to make sure they really did replace it.

First released TSB is on first page here and has same number still used currenty today.

V35 Skyline GT 06-26-2008 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by EncoreCestMoi

....Time to take the gloves off. call to infiniti in the morning, complaint to NTHSB, and another to the CA auto repair oversite dept. I ain't playing on this one.

Pleasanton CA infiniti fyi

Be sure to get a case # from Infiniti when you done with your call for your records.

Here's a thread I did pre-TSB days with NHTSA link. Ignore the rant, but still is my basic feeleings that a recall should be done rather than case-by-case then or even now with TSB. It was BS then and BS what I recently had to go through even with TSB in place.
https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/188688-owners-vq-oil-consumption.html
or ignore my thread and here's the link to file complaint:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/

Pleasanton is giving you the grief...interesting. I"ll remember that, being that's somewhat near me. Man what's with NorCal dealers. Got played by two NorCal dealers with very similar story as yours. I returned when a quart low, screw their come back at 1000mi thing.

Gcoupe06 06-26-2008 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
First released TSB is on first page here and has same number still used currenty today.

Yea I saw that on the first page, just wanted to make sure it was still the same. Thanks for confirming!

V35 Skyline GT 07-02-2008 02:09 AM

OC update

Just changed my oil again with 1240mi on that oil interval (1740mi total on new V2) and was 8mm down. That = 1qt/3720mi. Hope it improves better than that. I normally change oil at 5K when I run 100% Synth which I plan on doing later on. I could live with 1qt/5000mi OC, but this V2's not there yet. Hope time, a song and a prayer gets me to that threshold. Been very nice to engine and still not going over 4K on rpms :dunno:

VQdriver 07-02-2008 03:29 AM

blah blah blah...about 2,750mi on my current oil change of pennzoil platinum 5W-30 and the dipstick shows half full. i bought a quart of supertech 5W-30 synth and topping it off...done and done. :driving:

V35 Skyline GT 07-02-2008 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Gcoupe06
Yea I saw that on the first page, just wanted to make sure it was still the same. Thanks for confirming!

No problem...wish OP would update first post with current TSB in use. He has same resourse as I do with Infiniti TSB's.

Originally Posted by VQdriver
....about 2,750mi on my current oil change of pennzoil platinum 5W-30 and the dipstick shows half full....

In hopes mine improves to that amount. Could live with that.

ErikB 07-02-2008 02:35 PM

Has anyone in this thread taken their G into a Sacramento area dealer for this TSB? Just wondering since it looks like I will be doing this soon as well. My OC looks significant.

VQdriver 07-02-2008 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
No problem...wish OP would update first post with current TSB in use. He has same resourse as I do with Infiniti TSB's.

In hopes mine improves to that amount. Could live with that.

good luck. would you consider trying a slightly higher viscosity such as 10w-30 or 40? reading all over the internet that's how the "oldschool" domestic guys would deal with their newly built race motors consuming oil...they raise the viscosity by a point and monitor. i think my car actually eats more during the hot summer months (80+deg days) so switching up during that period might not be a bad idea.

V35 Skyline GT 07-02-2008 04:49 PM

good luck. would you consider trying a slightly higher viscosity such as 10w-30 or 40? reading all over the internet that's how the "oldschool" domestic guys would deal with their newly built race motors consuming oil...they raise the viscosity by a point and monitor. i think my car actually eats more during the hot summer months (80+deg days) so switching up during that period might not be a bad idea.

Funny you should mention that. I've been running a 10w-30 as recommended by a Tribologist I consulted with concerning this fresh VQ prior to swap for break-in. Running a blend too. He didn't want to do a 40 yet, though I agree a ?w-40 would be better in the hotter seasons like I'm currently in. Thanx for the G/L wishes, suggestions and much appreciated.

Will update OC mm's after 2K on this interval, hopefully less OC as it continues to break-in. Will be sending that oil sample for analysis as it's first UOA. It'll be interesting to compare my UOA's from my old VQ w/OC to this one (shearing; fuel dilute; metals; etc.)

Gcoupe06 07-02-2008 08:38 PM

Got my car back - I'm now on my break in period. Taking a long drive so I should easily hit that 1,200 mark in no time. Only sad part is I won't be able to open her up...(4K limit, boo!)

V35 Skyline GT 07-03-2008 12:05 PM

^ Congrats...remember to vary your rpm's and don't use cruise control per factory break-in methods. Yeah...staying under 4K is a pain in the arse lol.

VQdriver 07-03-2008 12:09 PM

ahh, so you're already on a new motor huh and it's still consuming a little oil?..hmmm

V35 Skyline GT 07-03-2008 01:15 PM

ahh, so you're already on a new motor huh and it's still consuming a little oil?..hmmm

Yup... I'm on a fresh apparently 2nd revised rev-up bare long block replacement from Japan known as pt# 10102-AC7M9.
350Z's current replacements are known as 10102-AC7MZ's.
Have heard successes and unfortunately, still failures with both those.
Time will tell I guess with mine.