TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I created my own solution to the OC issue... and the seatbelt rubbing the neck issue, and the crappy Bose stereo issue, and the hard to shift smoothly issue, and the idiots at the dealership issue:

SOLD.

Replaced it with an '08 VW R32.... it's a hoot to drive and much more refined than our G ever was.

It's been nice hangin' with you guys (and gals). Thanks for all the great info and assistance over the last 3 years.

All the best,
George

Old 07-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeM
I created my own solution to the OC issue... and the seatbelt rubbing the neck issue, and the crappy Bose stereo issue, and the hard to shift smoothly issue, and the idiots at the dealership issue:

SOLD.

Replaced it with an '08 VW R32.... it's a hoot to drive and much more refined than our G ever was.

It's been nice hangin' with you guys (and gals). Thanks for all the great info and assistance over the last 3 years.

All the best,
George
R32... weak

Old 07-29-2009, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeM

SOLD.

All the best,
George
The Bose isn't too bad, but if it's not your taste you can always upgrade the sound system to something more in tune with your ears' liking.

It's hard to defend the OC issue, having had to fight for a new engine myself. But once you get the new engine, most of the time, it seems the replacements are normally pretty solid. Mine's only burning about two or three ml's per 3,000 miles since the new VQ35 went in 24K miles ago.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you get rid of your G? Did you have an OC issue and could not get the new VQ? I guess no car is perfect (R32 Link 1 and R32 Link 2), and everyone has different hangups and taste in automobiles. I personally would never buy a VW over an Infiniti (maybe an Audi but not a VW). If you look closely at our G's, they really are beautiful cars. Quite refined, if I must say so myself!

But... to each his own, I suppose!

Last edited by shdowflare; 07-29-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:32 AM
Agreed, it's all personal taste and that no car is perfect. I will wholeheartedly agree that the G is one of the most beautiful cars on the road. That was a big selling point.

One of my issues is when I experience and read about common complaints about a car that has been around for over 5 years, then read the same complaints about its replacement, it makes me wonder what the manufacturer is thinking (one example is Automobile's writeup of their long term test G37). When I bought this car, I expected a japanese luxury coupe with the associated characteristics that come with it, i.e. comfort, silky smooth engine and tranny, great ergonomics, and a very minimum of quirkiness. My personal benchmark is the '84 Supra that used to be my daily driver, which met those expectations. I blame myself for not doing enough research; I guess the consistent top 10 rankings fooled me - I still don't understand those.

Another, albeit less important issue, is my local dealership. They're unprofessional and lack the attention to detail that I demand. I do most of the work on my cars, but with another several years of warranty left and the OC testing, I'll still have to deal with them, and I've had enough.

With respect to the Bose - I've heard/had better sounding sound systems that were not upgrades. So as part of the $2850 Premium Package, and with the Bose name, I guess I expected better. I shouldn't have to upgrade an upgrade.

Refinement is both tangible (the characteristics listed above) and intangible... to me it's a feel, fit and finish, it's about engineering and precision - it's character, and the G just doesn't do it for us.

So, for me (and my wife - it was her daily driver), the G fell short. We picked the R32 because it's fun to drive and has that character we're looking for. I know she misses her previous car, a '93 Corrado, and I'm sure that had something to do with the choice as well.

As you said... to each his own.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:32 AM
To get this back on topic... Had my oil level checked yesterday at the dealer. The tech said it was down 17 mm, more than the 14-15 mm I measured the day before. With very mild driving the car would consume oil just above the rate to fail, but up the RPM and get
more liberal with the throttle and it seems to drink oil at almost double that rate.

My SA wasn't there, so I'm expecting a call from him sometime today to discuss the situation.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Got a call from my SA, he was asking for additional oil change receipts before he submits the claim to Infiniti for a new long block. My car has had 5-6 oil changes at Infiniti in it's life(45k miles now), but there is a gap towards the end of the previous owner's lease before I picked it up. Has anyone had their claim rejected by Infiniti by not providing a full oil change history? The language of the TSB would make it seem like they typically like to see a regular oil change history, but cannot deny a replacement based on that(at least not in the flow chart).

I don't anticipate any problems getting it approved but you never know what will happen in warranty work, as typically once a position is made clear, that's it.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:31 PM
I am sure you have a computer, the internet, Microsoft Excel, and previous experience looking at a invoice from an independent mechanic shop....so I am sure you can "find" those receipts from the previous owner...

If Infiniti wants to deny legit OC claims by saying a person doesn't have all of their oil change receipts, I consider that unethical. At the end of the day, the OC claim is legit and needs to be fixed. I'd do anything in my power to avoid a $8K repair bill that I did not cause.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i just bought my car about 2 months ago at carmax and im sure i have the OC issue. it shouldnt matter that ive never got an oil change on it yet right?

Old 07-31-2009, 02:51 AM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by heythatsneat
i just bought my car about 2 months ago at carmax and im sure i have the OC issue. it shouldnt matter that ive never got an oil change on it yet right?
get a test started on it. Take it to riverside infiniti
i got my new engine there 2 weeks ago!

Old 07-31-2009, 01:01 PM
So would you recommend riverside infiniti over tustiN infiniti?

Old 07-31-2009, 02:22 PM
So would you recommend riverside infiniti over tustiN infiniti?
tustin they can do the minor stuff pretty good! i had my seat cover changed there cos theres a rip on it. all minor TSB

But when it comes to the engine they did the OC test on mine at 2200 miles im down to 17mm so the tech told me im qualified to get a new engine BUT he told me i need the oil change history for my car. we checked and the car wasnt oil changed at any dealer. SO they said they cant do it

i tried my luck at riverside a week after and in less than 25 hours i was approved to get a new engine.

Ben the serviced manager did a GREAT JOB!!! called the original owner, infiniti corporate. corporate told him to drop the oil pan and take out the valve covers to check for sludge. There wasnt any so infiniti approved it before lunch time the next day

SO if your car is burning oil i suggest going to riverside infiniti. i know it far from us but they can do the job. My only problem with them is that they scratched my bay a bit when installing the new engine

Old 07-31-2009, 02:42 PM
Okay thanks for the help. I scheduled my appointment for a consumption test tomorrow at riverside. The rattle is pretty bad in my engine so hopefully they approve my new motor.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Yea I went out of my way too for mine. My local dealer had 'no' cert master mech on board and couldn't even fix a simple window issue with their best mech after three visits, where as the one I did go to (fixed window in a snap) had 5. They did a stellar job on swap, though they played games with my OC testing, but I finally won and qualified despite that BS.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:04 PM
So Im going to have to jump through lots of hoops to get my new motor?

Old 07-31-2009, 03:23 PM
So Im going to have to jump through lots of hoops to get my new motor?
sometimes it happens like tustin infiniti. They do minor stuff with no problem the big ones is another story esp if you dont have papers to back it up

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB