TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by -.NiT3.RiDa.-
Sup guys, i recently performed an oil consumption test on my 05 6mt coupe. after 1000 miles the oil level went from the H mark to the L mark (24mm). they said they would call me when they get an approval from infiniti with in 72 hours max. 5 days later after me lighting a file under their *** through consumer affairs, they finally said they ordered the new motor and will call me and LMK when to bring the car in.

Now i was thinking about stamping the block and other areas of the motor to make sure they dont pull a fast one on me... Anyone think thats too OCD or is it a good idea? thoughts are greatly appreciated...
also im droped on Tein S-techs w/ 25mm spacers all around. Will this be an issue for them to put the new motor in? hope not... any other useful advise would be great to. Gotta love Driver for useful info =). thanks

a 2005 would be well beyond the powertrain warranty...did you purchase an extended warranty with the car, or is Infiniti willing to correct this problem for cars beyond warranty coverage because they know it was their mistake causing this problem?

Old 03-12-2010, 04:53 PM
im well in warranty i only have 60,000 miles on it in 5 years. No way will they even consider replacing anything on any car out of warranty for free. lol i wish.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Oh...i just assume since you had a 2005 and it's now 2010 you're about at the end of the warranty which from the factory i believe is 5 year/70k miles powertrain warranty.

So, if i do get one...i should get a 2005 or newer, and beat the living **** out of it so i can get a new motor before the warranty runs out. Then hope the new one they give me doesn't develop the problem again...or save up for a weisco piston kit while the new motor lasts lol.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by 90NA300ZX
Oh...i just assume since you had a 2005 and it's now 2010 you're about at the end of the warranty which from the factory i believe is 5 year/70k miles powertrain warranty.

So, if i do get one...i should get a 2005 or newer, and beat the living **** out of it so i can get a new motor before the warranty runs out. Then hope the new one they give me doesn't develop the problem again...or save up for a weisco piston kit while the new motor lasts lol.
well only the 6MT is known for the oil consumption so if you drive auto your strait. if you want a 6MT get an 07, there less likely to have the problem.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:52 PM
I'll never drive an autotragic car again....lol

Old 03-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by -.NiT3.RiDa.-
also im droped on Tein S-techs w/ 25mm spacers all around. Will this be an issue for them to put the new motor in? hope not... any other useful advise would be great to. Gotta love Driver for useful info =). thanks
Shouldn't be a problem. I was dropped with Cusco Zero2's with no issues.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:23 PM
Hi... I have a favor to ask of anyone who knows they have what I will call a "standard" ONE QUART L-H (over24 mm) dipstick... From what I gather that would be just about all the folks who own G35 6MT's with the VQ35DE engines.. I, on the other hand, have a dipstick that is, for reasons unknown, different from that on most G35 6MT's... Mine is TWO QUARTS L-H and I am curiously trying to figure out how Infiniti did this in my car... (My car is 100% stock, purchased new in 2006).

My current focus is on the dipstick itself... If anyone is interested in helping me out (and if you know you have a ONE QUART L-H dipstick), do me a favor and measure (in inches or cm, your choice) how long your dipstick is from its very tip to the "flat" of the rubber part that seals the dipstick into the dipstick tube... Assuming I have figured out how to attach pictures, see pictures attached that are intended to show that I want a length measurement between the rubber flat (see picture with the circled #1 and an arrow pointing at where I need the measurement to start from) and the very tip of the dipstick (see a second picture with a circled #2 simply pointing at the very tip of the dipstick)... The dipstick in my car measured between those two points is 44.6 cm (which is 17 & 9/16 inches).

I would also be interested in knowing how far it is from the very tip of the dipstick to the L mark (not the letter but the start of the hash that represents the Low oil level. That you can see on one of my attached pictures and it is about 31 mm from the tip of the dipstick to the bottom of the L-H level...

I'd be very curious if a ONE QUART L-H dipstick is the same as mine or if it is instead something different...

Assuming this works, see two attached pictures... If anyone is willing to help me out, I would appreciated it very much... I'm trying to solve a mystery here before (or if) I ever decide to present all my information to Infiniti...

thanks much... bob...
Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB-rubber-flat.jpg
Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB-dipstick-tip.jpg

Attached Thumbnails Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB-guide-locations.jpg  
Old 03-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Does anybody have a more printer friendly version of the TSB? The one in the first post of this thread is so huge that only the top left corner of the page is printing/fitting on the paper. A local dealer is claiming to have never heard of this problem in G35's so i want to print out a copy of it to present to them.

EDIT:

Nevermind...page 8 has a PDF version of it. Lets see the dealer play dumb now...

Last edited by 90NA300ZX; 03-13-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:01 PM
After seeing oil in my spark plugs, I wonder if I should order an oc test on an 04 5AT. I wonder if having an intake, exhaust, and test pipes will make them have a problem with it.... Plan on going to riverside Infiniti.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:04 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by The.Rockst*r
After seeing oil in my spark plugs, I wonder if I should order an oc test on an 04 5AT. I wonder if having an intake, exhaust, and test pipes will make them have a problem with it.... Plan on going to riverside Infiniti.
I've never had a problem at Riverside. I have test pipes also.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by diitto
Hi... I have a favor to ask of anyone who knows they have what I will call a "standard" ONE QUART L-H (over24 mm) dipstick... From what I gather that would be just about all the folks who own G35 6MT's with the VQ35DE engines.. I, on the other hand, have a dipstick that is, for reasons unknown, different from that on most G35 6MT's... Mine is TWO QUARTS L-H and I am curiously trying to figure out how Infiniti did this in my car... (My car is 100% stock, purchased new in 2006).

My current focus is on the dipstick itself... If anyone is interested in helping me out (and if you know you have a ONE QUART L-H dipstick), do me a favor and measure (in inches or cm, your choice) how long your dipstick is from its very tip to the "flat" of the rubber part that seals the dipstick into the dipstick tube... Assuming I have figured out how to attach pictures, see pictures attached that are intended to show that I want a length measurement between the rubber flat (see picture with the circled #1 and an arrow pointing at where I need the measurement to start from) and the very tip of the dipstick (see a second picture with a circled #2 simply pointing at the very tip of the dipstick)... The dipstick in my car measured between those two points is 44.6 cm (which is 17 & 9/16 inches).

I would also be interested in knowing how far it is from the very tip of the dipstick to the L mark (not the letter but the start of the hash that represents the Low oil level. That you can see on one of my attached pictures and it is about 31 mm from the tip of the dipstick to the bottom of the L-H level...

I'd be very curious if a ONE QUART L-H dipstick is the same as mine or if it is instead something different...

Assuming this works, see two attached pictures... If anyone is willing to help me out, I would appreciated it very much... I'm trying to solve a mystery here before (or if) I ever decide to present all my information to Infiniti...

thanks much... bob...
Attachment 117675
Attachment 117676
mine is about 18.25 inches(46.4cm) from #1 to #2 if u straighten it out. Its 46mm from the bottom to the L...i guess rev ups have different dipsticks...oh well
Name:  IMG_1593.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  96.3 KB

Old 03-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Received 295 Likes on 183 Posts
powertrain is 6 year 70,000 miles BTW..

Old 03-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
so thats anyone who's care was bought after 3/13/04

Old 03-14-2010, 04:09 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by diitto

thanks much... bob...
Attachment 117675
Attachment 117676
I don't have my original VQ anymore that I knew was a 1qt LH stick and pan, but here's my revup replacement longblock part number 10102-AC7M9.

I never confirmed as a 1 or 2 qt with my replacement b/c never needed to add a quart between OCI's. I have an ARC oil pan now so I'll never know.

For what's it worth:
Rubber flat to end of stick -

End of stick to L hash mark -
DipStickandOilPanMeasurements006.jpg?t=1268595760

Stick part number -

My oil pan:

Length -

Width -

Depth -

Couldn't find a stamped part number on pan.

I will mention something I noticed though. My ARC oil pan was to be a 6.25 qt pan. It took 6 qts 20 oz to fill up to F hash mark on stick.

You might be on to something being my stick measurements seem the same as yours. Hope the oil pan measurements helps you out as well.

I just checked my replacement VQ in crate pix I have. They used my original 2006 VQ dip stick. Replacement did not come with one it seems.
5-28-2008MyNewVQ35DE005.jpg?t=1268596895
G/L

Old 03-14-2010, 04:26 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by nsyr
This is not the OC problem, yet it is another problem. Oil getting sucked up through the PCV into the intake. Then it goes into the cylinder for combustion. This significantly reduces the octane rating of the fuel and causes 'pinging'. The ecm sees this engine knock and retards the timing making the car slow and sluggish. Infiniti does not offer a solution, however adding a catch can helps alot.
Agree and here's how much mine has collected from very bottom of can to sight tube in only 2500 miles:

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB