Churches Automotive Uprev results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sean, I think we all understand why he said that because 19.6 sounds to good to be true. But I guess you get the best from the best, right? Looks like it to me. Good work!
-AGThing1227

Old 01-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks ttrank. You seem like a good guy. Sorry if I came down a little hard on you.

Tuning the VQ is much like tuning any other engine, you have to be able to control the critical variables. Cam timing is more important than you would think and up till now, no one has really been doing that on stock ECU cars (AEM EMS, FCON, etc. yes, but that's starting from scratch, so you don't typically see comparison gains). Combined with proper ignition tuning (VQs will often want a little less ignition in the midrange to prevent knock which hurts top end due to retard from the ECU) and fueling, it's amazing what can happen.

I'm really waiting to see a car come in for a reflash/tune with aftermarket cams. We get such good results on the Honda K-series cars with aftermarket cams and tuning, I think we could see some monster gains on a VQ.

SC

Old 01-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
I don't think you came down on me hard at all. I would have said the same thing!

I will have JWT S1 cams with my motor build this month and since I have a UTEC I was thinking this would be a good thing to help smooth things out (pre-boost). If money works out well enough I might try it out.
I know you're not a fan of the UTEC and if had $3k to upgrade I would! My tuner wants me to get an AEM so bad.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Churchautotest
Thanks ttrank. You seem like a good guy. Sorry if I came down a little hard on you.

Tuning the VQ is much like tuning any other engine, you have to be able to control the critical variables. Cam timing is more important than you would think and up till now, no one has really been doing that on stock ECU cars (AEM EMS, FCON, etc. yes, but that's starting from scratch, so you don't typically see comparison gains). Combined with proper ignition tuning (VQs will often want a little less ignition in the midrange to prevent knock which hurts top end due to retard from the ECU) and fueling, it's amazing what can happen.

I'm really waiting to see a car come in for a reflash/tune with aftermarket cams. We get such good results on the Honda K-series cars with aftermarket cams and tuning, I think we could see some monster gains on a VQ.

SC
As discussed, it's a definite probability in my future!

Old 01-11-2008, 12:34 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
As discussed, it's a definite probability in my future!
I'm also thinking about this Mike. But only if I get a resonable qoute for the install. I just don't see myself paying 1000+ for just the cam install unless im getting the whole engine rebuilt.

Anyhow, its no where near in sight. Maybe 6 months from now

Old 01-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Churchautotest

SC

Shawn I will be your guy in mid Feb after I break in my motor!!

I have JWT S1 cams installed on my engine now along with a progressive water/meth kit.

I want to do as discussed before tune with osiris and my SS box.

I know for sure I will get over the 400+ mark this time.

Derek