best tuner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 02:32 PM
_jb
Photographer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
I had always believed this to be true as well... however, Shawn Church told be there really isn’t any "learn towards" - once you set the specific map those parameters are happening right then... I was concerned about running race gas at the track with the race gas map and not driving the car prior to runs in that map... the way I understood Shawn’s explanation is that it will immediately use the race map settings.
Those are the parameters that are in use right then. As I understand it, there are multiple tables that the ECU uses and builds. Some of them are not accessed by flashing new parameters.

I noticed a difference as soon as I loaded my new Osiris eTuned map, and my car seemed to run better after a few days with the map. Maybe my butt dyno is not accurate, but that's how it seemed to me.

The guy that really understands the inner workings of the ECU is Jared at UpRev. It would be nice to have him chime in and expand on this.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:36 PM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
Actually, the ECU takes longer to learn different octane settings than it does target A/F, cam timing changes, etc.

But I really wouldn't know since I only have 1 osiris map
Not sure what you mean here as the ECU doesn't really store octane settings, AFAIK. UpRev generates different octane tunes based on the A/F and timing information they put in a map. Shawn Church probably does something similar when he tunes with Osiris.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by _jb
Not sure what you mean here as the ECU doesn't really store octane settings, AFAIK. UpRev generates different octane tunes based on the A/F and timing information they put in a map. Shawn Church probably does something similar when he tunes with Osiris.
What I meant was, from what I've been told, The ECU takes longer to "learn" a different octane map (93 to 100 for instance), than a performance map (stock to performance map on same octane). I'm aware that the ECU doesn't store octane settings, but the change in timing/A/F will be greater when going from a 93 octane map to a 100 octane map, then going from a stock to performance map on the same octane.

I could be wrong though.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by _jb
You miss out on some performance if you always load the stock map every time you start your car.

Osiris (and any flash really) sets the "Targets" in the ECU. The advantage is that the ECU learns towards the settings you want, rather than the settings Infiniti programmed in. The Infiniti OEM settings are designed to keep the engine parameters set to control emissions. An Osiris tune sets the ECU parameters to give good performance.

You should select the map designed to give you the best performance and leave it there. That way your ECU will learn towards your performance settings and your car will run better.

Interesting I wasn't aware of this. It doesn't bother me though. I'm planning for an SC hopefully I'll be able to do it by the end of this year.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:23 PM
why doesnt the OP tell us what mods he has before people start shouting out engine mangament systems. If you basic boltons just get a reflash. The reflash is always superior to a piggyback system. if your going FI you need a piggyback or a standalone. I had a wrx with a UTEC on it and then went to a reflash. The reflash was way smoother.

Old 02-27-2019, 04:07 PM
PWS
Stock
Im looking on UPREV'S website. You can buy the uprev "standard" package that comes with 3 tunes. But these tunes are only available for one year and then you have to purchase them again?? Is that the way it really works?

Old 02-27-2019, 04:42 PM
Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by PWS
Im looking on UPREV'S website. You can buy the uprev "standard" package that comes with 3 tunes. But these tunes are only available for one year and then you have to purchase them again?? Is that the way it really works?
Nah, once you have the e-tune file it's yours forever, they mean if you change something on the car (intake, exhaust, etc) and want to get re-tuned (re-e-tuned), they will only do that for a year.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:56 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Uprev is the end all/be all tuning option for the G IMHO. And we have an active member who's our on-site guru, Uprev expert and all-around great guy, seymore4.

I also know that HP Tuners recently got into the G tuning game. They are very popular and well respected in the GTO world but for the G I'd stick with Uprev.

The following users liked this post:
seymore4 (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 09:06 AM
PWS
Stock
Thanks for clearing that up for me BLUE !
I bought this car last Friday and am doing valve covers, plugs, and wheel bearing.

It will be a everyday driver, it’s bone stock, I just wanna mild tune. I think I will call uprev today.

Many thanks Gents !!