uprev tuning in nj/ny area

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Julian
The guy was looking for an UPREV tuner over 3 months ago, and you just now post, after I tuned his car...LULZ..After ignoring him for over 3 months..Haha.

Anyhow, just so you know, he has zero drivability issues on his car. The UTEC is not a MAF modifier like you might assume. It actually controls fuel and timing very similar to a standalone unit for 3 times the amount of money.

It does utilize the MAF voltage as a point of reference to do the mapping, meaning when it sees between 0-5v comming from the MAF along with TPS voltage and % it will determine the loadpoint in my map.

It is capable of open loop or closed loop fueling and timing depending how you set it up and can increase the rev limit. You can also add a selector switch to select between 5 different maps. The best part is, you own it and own the tune in it!!! You cant resell a stock ECU with a flash can you??
Basically it does not matter what the Stock ECU is trying to do..The car is doing what Im telling it to do...

The timing is a set value and will not change between the 3 different timing maps in the ECU, so the car will always be consistant.

Can you show me some dyno graphs, showing over 20 N/A Dyno Dynamic WHP gains with the UPREV??

I have tuned hundreds of these units, and N/A have yet to have anyone complain about the drivability as a result of my tune..
I don't have a tuner in his area, and he didn't want to drive a bit, thats his choice not mine. I don't just open anyone as a Pro Tuner as you can well attest.

Sorry but there are known drivability issues with the Utec. You know with 100% truth that you cannot stop the stock ECU from adjusting and it will over time. This is not just rambling, this is a known fact. Maybe they don't complain because they don't know better, don't care, or you explain to them ahead of time there will be drivability issues, any way it's a non issue if they don't complain to you or not, it is a well known issue with the Utec.

I'm not going to play your my ***** is bigger games by posting dyno charts, there are customers on here with plenty of dyno charts if you'd like to look. Not every car you tune gains 20hp, and if it does then you're adjusting the dyno settings or otherwise falsifying the facts.

You can as a matter of fact sell your Osiris License, and it's actually quite a bit less expensive than the Utec, especially with the additional installation that needs to be done. $400 for the Osiris License and we can return the ECU to stock and allow you to sell the License whenever you want.

Timing on the stock ECU is not a set value nor should it ever be. Why dumb down the capabilities of the car? The stock ECU works in dynamic manners and not in a static way.

The Utec uses a chip that is less than 30Mhz, whereas the stock ECU uses a Hitachi chipset that runs at 59Mhz (even the 03 Nissan has this chipset). It was designed 8 years ago by a person that no longer works at TurboXS and has had no software updates since he left for CosworthUSA 3 years ago.

It's great that we won't allow you to sell our products, but that seems like the customers loss more than anything, and we are working on finding a reputable shop with reasonable employees to sell our products in NY and surrounding areas as soon as we can. We've added 10 new Pro Tuners in the last 2 months and they are coming on board faster than we'd ever have anticipated.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by UpRev
I don't have a tuner in his area, and he didn't want to drive a bit, thats his choice not mine. I don't just open anyone as a Pro Tuner as you can well attest.

Sorry but there are known drivability issues with the Utec. You know with 100% truth that you cannot stop the stock ECU from adjusting and it will over time. This is not just rambling, this is a known fact. Maybe they don't complain because they don't know better, don't care, or you explain to them ahead of time there will be drivability issues, any way it's a non issue if they don't complain to you or not, it is a well known issue with the Utec.
I know of drivability issues on an improperly tuned UTED, and most notable on a FI car, not an NA car. Perhaps all of the UTEC's you encountered were not tuned well or on a proper LOAD BASED DYNO, then on the road. Like I do all of mine, as my former tunes will attest.
I have yet to have a stock ECU untune a utec.. Yochi is the perfec example, who made 283whp and a year later cam back and made the same 283 on my dyno during a diagnostic of an issue related to his LED tail lights.. Look him up and ask him..
I'm not going to play your my ***** is bigger games by posting dyno charts, there are customers on here with plenty of dyno charts if you'd like to look.
Well, I dont even know what your getting at, all this ***** talk. However I thought a Dyno chart was a tool used in tuning and testing products, and is valuable information.
Not every car you tune gains 20hp, and if it does then you're adjusting the dyno settings or otherwise falsifying the facts.
I really hope your not accusing me of falsifying dyno numbers..That would be pretty bad on your end. The dyno I use is new state of the art, optical AWD dyno Dynamics.Same exact dyno Sharif uses. He will attest, there are no corrections to make on the dyno that can be added. The number is what it is, I started with 226, and ended with 247 after my tune. If your doubting my tuning abilities, put your money where your mouth is, Im always up for a challange..
You can as a matter of fact sell your Osiris License, and it's actually quite a bit less expensive than the Utec, especially with the additional installation that needs to be done. $400 for the Osiris License and we can return the ECU to stock and allow you to sell the License whenever you want.
How much to send the ECU back and have it flashed to stock?? FYI, most people dont charge for install of the UTEC, it usually is a package price.

Timing on the stock ECU is not a set value nor should it ever be. Why dumb down the capabilities of the car? The stock ECU works in dynamic manners and not in a static way.
True, but it will always read off knock and continue to advance the timing. There are a few different timing maps for high octane and low octane fuel in most stock ECU's. When it detects the knock or different conditions, it goes to a different timing pattern. Most reflash tuners, eliminate the variable maps in opened loop, for consistancy of the tune..

The way the UTEC is different, it will allow the ECU to run timing in certain fields that you allow it to, when it picks up knock it will pull timing in that area until it goes away, then resumes the timing map. It will also then globally take out a set amount of timing in the whole map, until the car is restarted. So say you pick up knock, and you have the knock retard to .5 of a degree, it will globally remove .5 degres of timing on your timing map. This is what allows the UTEC to be pretty consistant over a piggyback like the UniChip.
The Utec uses a chip that is less than 30Mhz, whereas the stock ECU uses a Hitachi chipset that runs at 59Mhz (even the 03 Nissan has this chipset). It was designed 8 years ago by a person that no longer works at TurboXS and has had no software updates since he left for CosworthUSA 3 years ago.
Whats your point? I still made great gains on this guys car, and he is happy with the control the end user has over the UTEC, which is BTW a mid entry level engine management. Never said it was the greatest thing since sliced bread..YOu comparing an OEM ECU that millions of dollars was spent to develop to an aftermarket parralell engine management system, that in the right hands, will work wonders.
It's great that we won't allow you to sell our products, but that seems like the customers loss more than anything, and we are working on finding a reputable shop with reasonable employees to sell our products in NY and surrounding areas as soon as we can. We've added 10 new Pro Tuners in the last 2 months and they are coming on board faster than we'd ever have anticipated.
Ok, now I see why your replying to me.

For startes, I dont even own a shop anymore, so It does not matter That you wont let me sell your software...

Secondly, youll sign up anyone who has the $$$$$ To buy your software and 20 liscenses..And you know it.

Third, your forgetting Technosquare developed the first reflash software for the 350Z about 4 years ahead of your software and there are more supported applications available. AAM was also doing reflashes 3-4 years ago on similar software.

What makes you so special? Perhaps you can answer the questions your sales rep coul not answer for me back then.

Its nice to see you harbor such a grudge against me,but it is time to move on.

The reason I never set up with your software was due to the fact that the guy selling your product on the forums, did not have an answer for me as to what the software did. He didnt even know the product he was pushing when I asked him questions. In fact, no one from UPREV even posted in this thread or pointed the OP in the right direction from January The only reason you even came out of the woodwork to post, was the fact that I posted the UTEC results, and your attempt to discredit me and make me look bad. That is HIGHLY unprofessional from a product developer, and I suggest you not take that path with me.

You software was also VERY expensive to set up with and I did not forsee making a profit with your product, as we never had a big call for reflashes, and would have to expend alot of money up front.

I did catch an attitude with your sales rep, and I appologize for that, but please do not contest my tunes or dyno numbers.. Let our dealings and feelings stay in the past, and lets not rehash. It would be better for both of us.

Last edited by Julian; 03-30-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Julian
Ok, now I see why your replying to me.

For startes, I dont even own a shop anymore, so It does not matter That you wont let me sell your software...

Secondly, youll sign up anyone who has the $$$$$ To buy your software and 20 liscenses..And you know it.

Third, your forgetting Technosquare developed the first reflash software for the 350Z about 4 years ahead of your software and there are more supported applications available. AAM was also doing reflashes 3-4 years ago on similar software.

What makes you so special? Perhaps you can answer the questions your sales rep coul not answer for me back then.

Its nice to see you harbor such a grudge against me,but it is time to move on.

The reason I never set up with your software was due to the fact that the guy selling your product on the forums, did not have an answer for me as to what the software did. He didnt even know the product he was pushing when I asked him questions. In fact, no one from UPREV even posted in this thread or pointed the OP in the right direction from January The only reason you even came out of the woodwork to post, was the fact that I posted the UTEC results, and your attempt to discredit me and make me look bad. That is HIGHLY unprofessional from a product developer, and I suggest you not take that path with me.

You software was also VERY expensive to set up with and I did not forsee making a profit with your product, as we never had a big call for reflashes, and would have to expend alot of money up front.

I did catch an attitude with your sales rep, and I appologize for that, but please do not contest my tunes or dyno numbers.. Let our dealings and feelings stay in the past, and lets not rehash. It would be better for both of us.

I absolutely will not open anyone with money, we have set rules for who we do business with and we will (and have) discontinue business with shops that do not work towards supporting the customer properly. In fact you were not opened as a dealer yourself because of the way you acted, when you had a shop that is.

Technosquare does reflash, they do have more "supported" vehicles. Their reflash and our reflash have nothing in common besides the fact that it is a reflash. Reflash just being the way you write information to the solid state memory on the ECU. It has nothing to do with capabilities and everyone that has used our software knows we have more capability that anyone else in the Nissan market hands down. Also we patch specific ROMs for vehicles instead of patching one ROM and using it on all type of different vehicles the way Technosquare does. Case in point, all 7 of the Sentra customers that had Technosquare flashes on their ECU had the same ROM file, even though they ranged from 2003-2005 and were both SER and SpecV models, they had 5 different ROMs to start with. AAM uses the same Techtom flashing system that Technosqure does and they cannot patch new ROMs or different ROMs without Techtom doing it in Japan. They cannot innovate or add features and cannot solve customer issues when they arise. We have an FX45 w/turbo here that Technosquare went like a dozen rounds with and still couldn't tune it, we have it all going and just putting time aside to update the software to support it, solving customer problems is what we do.

The guy on the forums did infact has the answer for you and that answer still hasn't changed, if you want in depth technical info, contact our tech guy Jared and he'll give you the answers you need. There was only ever an issue with you on this, everyone else seems to understand you ask the tech guy technical questions and the sales guy sales questions.

The reason I came out of the woodwork is because this is my first time seeing the thread. I can't check every forum every day. I answer the phone, e-mails and in-store customer questions, I reply to threads as I have a chance. I don't see the issue with that, the customers know our website, and there is a contact tab with the information on how to contact us there.

Our product is far less expensive than most brands for a direct buy-in, you can't buy it piecemeal like as if we had a distributor. We keep tighter control of who sells our product that way to make sure the customers have a good experience and get taken care of by shops that hopefully will be around when they have problems. I can't make it more obvious than that for you.

I'm not trying to jump on a dyno numbers bandwagon. I don't post dyno numbers on any car. Our customers may post a dyno, but as a knowledgeable car guy, I know better than to think that two different cars on different dynos are comparable. Someone makes 5hp with good tuning, then thats all they are going to make, thats just how their car is. Another guy might make 50hp with the same mods, it's just how cars are. So saying you gained 20, then asking me for how much I gain seems a bit ignorant and egotistical. I am not tuning that exact car on that exact dyno on that exact day, so you cannot compare the tunes. What I can state with complete certainty is that working on the stock ECU is a far better option than doing a piggy back.

Just FYI customers: you don't have to ship an ECU back for it to be flashed back to stock. Any Pro Tuner can do it for you, or if you have Osiris Standard you can do it yourself. In a worst case scenario you do need to ship it back it cost you only the shipping to us. We pay overnight return shipping on ECUs and we don't charge anything for back to stock flashing.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:48 PM
props to sam z for the installation of the utec and many other parts at a great price.he can install anything from turbos to suspension and fabricate aswell.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:24 PM
so ivory what did your car make? Do you like the tune? Hows the drivability?

Old 04-03-2009, 12:11 AM
it made about 20 whp after installing and tuning the utec.as far as drivability its more responsive and torquier especially in higher rpm's.im sure all my other mods had an effect on hp and performance aswell.not sure if that could be acheived with just the utec and a tune.time will tell on drivability issues but so far so good.